What took your guy's game to the next level?

J

jaystun00

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was wondering with all the poker books and advice out there
what took you decent grinders game to the next level?

Was it a certain peice of advice was it a book? was it posting so many hands.

just wondering would love feed back

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That. And reading opinions from players who are better than me.

speaking of opinions.......i've chuckled at some of your sigs before c9...but the present one is too disturbing...on so many levels ...please change

R

rllngn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The one thing I learned to take my game to the next level was learning how to play each hand different. I stop saying I was going to play tight this game or loose that game, I started playing loose or tight according to each hand and each bet. I try to break down every hand and every bet. It hasn't fully grown yet but I am still learning how to do this because I think this is the key.

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like rlingn's answer.

Each and every hand is different, depending on your stack, your position and how the rest of the table is (has been) playing.
The really good players know when to attack, when to lay back and when to re-adjust their game accordingly.

I think that a lot of the multi-tablers (8-16-24 at a time)
don't get this.
They are playing the odds that they will profit on at least 40-50% of their tables and that is considered a good day.

I prefer to play a one or a few tables and pay attention to the decision at each one, so I can make the right decision (doesn't always work lol)

Just my ¢

:cool:

d44ve

d44ve

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I dont think there was an "AHA!" moment when my game got better. I think its just a matter of getting more experienced. Getting advice on played hands and just studying.

One thing for sure, forums like this one where members are willing to help you whenever they can, really do help!

Good luck on and off the felts!!

P

Potheadwoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What kind of poker do you play?

I doubt that multitable grinders dont know how to play every hand. They have simply mastered each step of poker to be able to make accurate decisions on nearly every situation they play!

rufftuffcreampuff

rufftuffcreampuff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

For me it has been more of a gradual process. Reading some recommended poker books & reviewing hands with friends has helped alot but probably just putting in time and playing lots of games has helped me the most.:D

P

pjr54

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me just getting better is just a learning experience. Reading also helps but the best way to get better is by playing and gaining experience.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what took my game to the next level was joining CC!!!

Posting hands, handling other critique my terribad play style, starting a challenge thread, learning BRM, watching videos of others styles all helped.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure if I'm at "the next level" but what has really helped me recently is that I have figured out how to isolate limpers and club them like baby seals.

Also, I stopped spewing on the river. My river play was an abomination. Now its probably just mediocre but that's a big improvement at this stage of my poker development.

B

budebuzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are so many levels to go through and everyone goes through different levels in different orders but the one that sticks out the most now is that you have to be able to win with any cards you are dealt, if you know how to win with ATC that is pretty good!

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When i realized that i did not and still do not know anything.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...when my uncle showed me how 'playing the cards' are just a small portion of the game.

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it was few online forums, one mainly is CARDSCHAT !!!:D
Also R/A some videos helped me much ....

Last edited:
HeavyW

HeavyW

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely Cardschat took my game to the next level.

I am just a beginner, so the next level for me is still pretty low. lol. I found myself randomly playing different games, not having a goal I was going for.

After signing up and reading many threads on here, I started playing with a purpose and with the little knowledge I picked up from a few threads, has been working flawlessly.

Next I think is a few basic books just to widen my views, and of course more importantly, more hands!!!

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The banning of Americans.

Bring on the russians

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Definitely Cardschat took my game to the next level.

I am just a beginner, so the next level for me is still pretty low. lol. I found myself randomly playing different games, not having a goal I was going for.

After signing up and reading many threads on here, I started playing with a purpose and with the little knowledge I picked up from a few threads, has been working flawlessly.

Next I think is a few basic books just to widen my views, and of course more importantly, more hands!!!

Nice avatar!!! Goooo canada!!

Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book" might be of interest to ya.

K

KidVicious

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
are you using poker tracker or HEM? Finally Understanding hand ranges and how to play accordingly against the Villains whole range is when things began to change for me.

HeavyW

HeavyW

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice avatar!!! Goooo Canada!!

Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book" might be of interest to ya.

Ive heard the name tossed around quite a bit, Ill buy a copy this week and start there. Thanks.

Canada is definitely the place to be!! No FBI, lol

Top 10 Games