What time we spend playing vs studying

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we want to improve ourselves in poker then is important to dedicate hours to practice but also to study .
My percentage could be a 70/30 practice vs study
How much do you dedicate to play vs study? :)

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Unfortunately, I do not have enough time to play poker. I usually play 3-4 days a week. But I agree that learning is a necessary component for improving the player's skills. I think the acceptable ratio is 80/20.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My play to study ratio is 3:1 however I will often study more as I really enjoy analysing my own play

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
for me the studying comes from playing. learn alot while maybe taking some tough beats but that helps me study those hands and be better prepared for next time...

naydanazar

naydanazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I spend about 1 day in the week of parsing games, and strangely enough it helps me)

great_young

great_young

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I guess it's something like 9:1. Lately I'm watching some video lessons. Maybe I should spend more time studying.

P

pacificatorul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At first, 80% study. It's a lot but keep in mind that it is in that period when you improve. In time, you can lower to 50% and 25%

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to have a ratio 1:1, but I think at the end is something like 2:1. Right now instead learning I am trying to build my own pokertracker

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to have a ratio 3:1 (play:study), I always try to study after I finish play session and I do this because I dont like study before I play. When I realize that I dont study a lot lately, I try to study and dont play a day.

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I mark the hands that need revision during my poker session, the next day I study them to improve my game and action. I think I'm in a 50-50.

Erik moraes

Erik moraes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play poker every day except monday i take the day to watch videos and analyze my hands played

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My percentage could be a 80/20 practice vs study.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
100% play. I just play for fun now.

But when I played more seriously I always analyzed all the big pots in PokerTracker after every session had ended.

Plus a lot of reading books/forums and watching videos.

So back then maybe 70% play and 30% study.

I actually should have played more when the games were softer and studied less. Would probably have earned more money that way. Because ten years ago you could find horrible players on every level/stake.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
studying I spend 40% and practicing 60% but according to advice from friends should be balanced 50 - 50

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All play..

I'm not that dedicated, that committed. Since I play for fun, to relax, I'm doing it to get away from the work, grind mindset.
Just my experience.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am not sure one size fits all with poker and studying, so I try to avoid regulating myself.

Don't get me wrong, I think anyone with even the slightest ambition needs to constantly review their own play and turn to whatever learning aids interest them. But I do think many get caught up in a cliched view of what constitutes learning when the real path is that of self-discovery/awareness and which particular learning paths/style of play suit your character.

Some have given study (in a conventional sense) something of a wide berth. Bryn Kenney for one has never used solvers and vows not to (he does have a photographic memory) but there are other players such as Dan Colman who also claim they have ever done little more than discuss hands with friends.

Its been illuminating to follow all the brouhaha about GTO play. For the last five or so years the poker media constantly reported the GTO wizards and style of play would completely take over poker. It was a silly assumption - GTO has its place but evidently GTO and its exponents are not taking over the game.

As for myself, I think I am generally open (watch videos, listen to podcasts regarding coaching every week) but also like to take a really hard line with my own play to overhaul and improve it.

Finally, I am one of those who thinks , above all, nothing beats playing a vast amount of hands against an endless field of diverse players.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well when youve played over a million hands you've studied by application... if you need help do group studying go over one persons play a week is my suggestion with better players or winners if possible...i learned poker the hard way by application i picked up dan's m series as first books i read about 10 years ago im 50 now...... studying learning is important but basically challenging self knowing limits is what will make you money.....

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 hours playing and 1 or half your studying every day

D

DamocValentin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess my percentage is 90/10 :)))). Maybe i should spend more time learning:))

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My ratio is probably close to 4:1 or 3:1 play/study; I'd like to invest more time into studying. I read a little bit of one of my books every morning, listen to audiobooks at work (not directly related to poker but recommended from a poker book), hand review/work out some poker math equations and watch training videos at night before bed.

Once I finish my current videos (a few times over), I'm looking into signing up for a paid training course and/or investing in either Poker Snowie or a solver like Pio or Monkr. Still not sure if they're worth it or not.

JetmirDulja

JetmirDulja

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Mine is propably 90% - 10 % Practice - Study . Only because i play a lot .. That doesnt mean i havent studied the game . And watching others play is considered studying the game . I do that a lot .

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can’t say a percentage, but I’m sure I should spend a lot more time learning.
I used to watch regular live tutorials while Intellipoker was working, but lately I can't find a site with similar programs.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we want to improve ourselves in poker then is important to dedicate hours to practice but also to study .
My percentage could be a 70/30 practice vs study
How much do you dedicate to play vs study? :)
hi hi tefy!!!! :ciao:

wow you study lots, good job! is why you brilliant player
i going try study more, right now it perhaps 10% for me *sighs*

blond.jpg

M

mottap14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is hard to give you a percentage. I play a lot rather than study the game. It doesn’t have a lot of science. My thinking is while playing it you practice it and get use to it. That is learning too. ♥️♠️♣️♦️

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree 70/30 practice vs study. Unfortunately, I don’t devote enough time to learning. I only have enough time to play for a few hours. I am also planning to develop my game in the near future !