WHAT should we be studying?

S

Stavvyc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all

I’m very intrigued to seeing what other people think about what books they should be reading when studying the game!

I’ve read a few already which has helped my game

Stuey ongar
Doyle Brunson super system
The mental game of poker
Essential poker math currently reading
And have also started the poker mind!

What books would you recommend to go further and really get them high point scores

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not sure where you're at in your poker development. It sounds like you've already read more than the vast majority of other players.

I've found that it's essential to take frequent study breaks to practice and burn all of the new things into my game.

PuletJelek

PuletJelek

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is why i always lose in tournaments...
I never read that books, but my opponents read it all

K

Kmason531

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books are fine but most books are extremely dated. You're much better off watching a lot of the great YouTube content out there. The only books I'd recommend that I've read in the past 2 years (and I've read a lot) are Advanced No-Limit Hold'em by Matt Janda (a bit dated but a great intro into GTO), Advanced Concepts in No-Limit Hold'em by Hunter Cichy, Optimal Poker by Andrew Borokos and Modern Poker Theory by Michael Acevedo. All of these deal with GTO strategies to a varying degree with MPT kind of being the end boss book.

Some great YouTube channels for a beginner are Doug Polk's channel although this material is dated but still very helpful for someone in the early stages of their poker development. Hunter Cichy has a channel, I believe it's checkshovepoker but like Doug's it's a bit dated with no new content for a while. SplitSuit is another good one as is SmartPokerStudy.

More advanced channels are Finding Equilibrium, BluffTheSpot, RaisYourEdge, and MyNameisKarl. All except Finding Equilibrium have content from proven online winners (nobody knows who the Finding Equilibrium guy is, but his stuff is amazing).

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would strongly recommend Evan Jarvis' YouTube channel. It is very accessible for beginning players.

Jonathan Little's PokerCoaching.com has the most extensive training material around. Some is free, most you have to pay for. He also has a lot free content available on YouTube. He has a number of books ranging from entry level basic strategy through to beating tough high stakes games.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books?

I have been at this game for quite some time and admit to not having read any poker books, Interestingly I achieved my first training and knowledge of Hold'em from the pokerstars school. And then just trial and error...mostly error..Poker is as 'Learn by Doing Activity" I am now going to give some of those books mentioned in this Thread a look and study and see if I can improve my averages...thanks for the titles..

SharkyJohn

SharkyJohn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first thing that helped me a lot is studying opening ranges (yeah I know that a lot of players here are experienced, but there's so much more to study we should never stop) and position play. Then I started studying pre flop game, such as post flop, flop and river.
A good source to start is a book by David Sklansky, the more advanced way to study is free YouTube tutorials (poker stars School) and even payed poker courses, there are a lot on internet just search and study.

PistolPete89

PistolPete89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Modern Poker Theory is the most comprehensive work ever composed when it comes to pure strategy. It can help you compete with the best players out there. Unfortunately, it has the potential to make the statement "I play better against good players than bad players" true for the first time if you try to use it at the lowest levels.