What´s your decision with good hands on UTG?

M

Mariadelaluz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I´ve a bad hands on UTG, I´m happy to muck the hands.
However, oftenly good hands (KQs, AJo) come to me on UTG (9 max).
If I´m far from in the money with a short stack (less than 5bb), I make all-in.
If I´m before in the money, I´ll stay.

What´s your decision if you have 7bb with QJs, UTG, 9 max, 20 players before in the money?

N

ntf1125

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I make all-in to make double up. Because, at least I need to pay 1.5bb till getting botton. It´s not sure to get in the money in this situation. So I go.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
push is ok. You don't want to be eaten by blinds and trying to fold most of the hands to get ITM when you have 7 blinds with 20 players left.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
get it in. go for the double up or at least steal some dead money to pad your stack. with 7 bbs, i definitely want to do that with a wide range before the blinds get to me because you still have some fold equity.

when the bb comes and you have 6 bbs behind, you have no fold equity to jam if you face a raise. so, now you're better off just calling and hoping you pick up enough equity on the flop to continue. though, with a hand like qjs, i don't think getting it in preflop is bad either, just know that you're getting called 100% of the time.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It also depends on other circumstances as well as a thing as 7BB.

A fold is also possible.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What´s your decision if you have 7bb with QJs, UTG, 9 max, 20 players before in the money?

Well, ICM isn't really a factor, so a shove is a good idea as I'm going to assume that there are other short-ish stacks at your table as well that need strong hands to call you. Your table also will factor in how you proceed too. If there are players that are willing to call light, then definitely put your stack in.

when the bb comes and you have 6 bbs behind, you have no fold equity to jam if you face a raise. so, now you're better off just calling and hoping you pick up enough equity on the flop to continue. though, with a hand like qjs, i don't think getting it in preflop is bad either, just know that you're getting called 100% of the time.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are suggesting a call and not a shove with 6bb left? I don't think that's a good idea. You need a double-up and if you're facing a single raise and you are last to act, you SHOULD shove, because either they will fold, in which case you don't see a flop AND you pick up valuable chips. If they call, you're ahead of most of their range, in which case I want to see 5 cards, and especially since you're not close to the money, you want to build a stack to be able to apply pressure on your opponents rather than reacting to pressure.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Difficult, but you need to increase your chips to survive, and this is a playable hand. If you fold these now, your fold equity is going to decay fast.

I'd probably Jam. You may be called by better, but there's a reasonable chance of a coin flip and a small chance of a steal.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

With all of these hands I would be happy shoving with 5bbs, probably up to 8bbs, especially if antes are in play, because you're unlikely to make the money without picking up at least a few blinds. Of course, if there are loads of short stacks left in the tournament, then you might consider trying to limp in to the money. For example, if there are 120 players left and the money pays to 100, if you're sat in 80th place because there are so many short stacks, there is an argument for just trying to squeeze into the money.

Bear in mind, you are NEVER going to win the tournament playing this way, but sometimes min-cashing is the best you can realistically expect.

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

OJs is not a good hand. I would fold. :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I am understanding you correctly, you are suggesting a call and not a shove with 6bb left? I don't think that's a good idea. You need a double-up and if you're facing a single raise and you are last to act, you SHOULD shove, because either they will fold, in which case you don't see a flop AND you pick up valuable chips. If they call, you're ahead of most of their range, in which case I want to see 5 cards, and especially since you're not close to the money, you want to build a stack to be able to apply pressure on your opponents rather than reacting to pressure.
sorry, i wasn't very clear in my previous reply. basically, i meant to say to turn it into a stop-no-go. i'm sure you already know what that is but i'll explain it further for other members.

if you're facing a raise with 6 bbs in the bb and you close the action, you're better off calling a raise than jamming because you're getting called 100% of the time. when this happens, villain gets to see their full equity by the river and, against most ranges, qjs does decently but, if i'm correct, it's pretty thin equity.

the goal is to jam the flop (stop-n-go) with the intent of getting villain to fold their hand and deny them that chance to realize their full equity. for example 44 vs qjs is winning 50% of the time by the river, but if you jam a flop of a69r, you deny their full equity. even a hand like k10s might fold to a flop like that. and if you're called, it's no big deal. you still get to see the river.

so, in spots where you know your jam is getting called 100% of the time, going for the stop-n-go increases your chance to win the pot by getting your opponent to fold on the flop and not allowing them to see the last 2 cards. in the 44 v qjs example, 44 is a ~75% favorite on the flop but they don't know that and can't realize that if they don't see the river if they're forced to fold. if qjs had jammed pre and got called, 44 gets to see their full equity because the river card is guaranteed.

Last edited:
KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely, if you have a caller, you will lose your entire stack.

There are situations when you need to go all-in with cards like QJs. Especially having a small stack. If you do not take this opportunity. And the blinds take your stack

M

Mariadelaluz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It´s not easy to decide how to play the position of UTG.
Because, if a player has an A, UTG has some possibilities of be lost. However, the stack is short.
I thought it for all night. However I can´t fin the answer. It´s very difficult to decide...

T

Tolyanchemp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not push this card in this situation, it is better to play 5 blinds but with a stronger hand

vokrugdookola

vokrugdookola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it all depends on the dynamics of the game, how many maniacs are at the table

Serg77

Serg77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just before money if only one person left and if at least one person more than 30bb I would say fold. If there isn't I can't say what would I say. Probably I would try to steal bb. But it's hard to say without seeing the opponents and their game style

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ugh. Seems like I'm in that situation far too often. Imho if the table has 2or 3 fish might be worth waiting for a better opportunity. If the table is full of nits go for it,:boxing:

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
20 players from the money I would fold but if its far from money or I have got pay jump i would push

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At that point, you likely all in or nothing. If I do it depends on my opponents. If I plan to have a lot of callers, I might wait. Also depends what the other stack sizes are and how close we are. Do we pay 10?, 15?, 18?. It makes a difference.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your reference is 7bb on the UTG. I have read and have incorporated this myself. If your stack is 10bb or less in any position. Its time to shove, there is not a lot of chips to play and you have to push to get ahead or else you blinded to nothing.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One other thing to keep in mind (OP) - the big money in MTT's is always in the top 1-3 spots. If you're playing to just limp into the money, you are not giving yourself the best chance to win the tournament. Sometimes, it calls for making plays that you may not be the most comfortable with, but remember, you're not the only one feeling the anxiety of trying to stay alive. You're not the only one trying his/her best to protect your chips.

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when no one raise before me Iwould go all in

G

Guccipatna77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends how far into the tournament for sure but 1j at that point is pretty much a shove unless u want to risk it for one more hand and try to just limp and hot the flop then shove or fold if u miss and shove the next hand .

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With seven bigs, I'm probably going to go ahead and get them in with Q-J. It might be a while before you see a hand that good again.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands