What is Ratholing? Why are they hated?

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been playing Rush. I always buy-in full 100bb and have auto top up. Unlike standard tables where you have to buy in back for the previous amount u sat with, you can rathole in Rush. You can click "stand up" and then click on a seat to buy back in with any amount you want. So while I have a friend watching me through teamviewer, I sat in with 100bb, doubled up to nearly 200bb, stood up, sat back in for 100bb and continued in Rush. He asks me why I rathole. I responded that I know myself and I'm not a good post-flop player who can manage 200bb, and 100bb is enough already. People seem to hate ratholers as much as short-stackers. May I ask why?

I can understand people hating short-stackers but I'm curious what's bad about ratholers.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ratholer = short stacker???? right?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People hate ratholers because they're taking money out of the game that they are unwilling to put at risk. IMO though doing it at Rush is perfectly fine if you're not comfortable playing deep. At a regular table if you take someone's stack they can reload and try to win it back but that's not true at Rush. Win a stack at Rush and it might be 20 hands before you see that player again.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What Hillbilly said, I rarely play Rush, but when I do if it is for some promo or something, ratholing is my break even strategy.

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All SS are ratholers but not all ratholers are SS.

Not always - I've been short stacking because I kept getting hit with coolers in Rush and I wanted to limit my bankroll losses while I try to clear the promotion. But if I do double up (or more), I don't rathole because I'm perfectly happy to play a big stack as long as losing it won't damage my bankroll that much.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not true - I've been short stacking because I kept getting hit with coolers in Rush and I wanted to limit my bankroll losses while I try to clear the promotion. But if I do double up (or more), I don't rathole because I'm perfectly happy to play a big stack as long as losing it won't damage my bankroll that much.

Fine.
All GOOD short stackers are ratholers not all ratholers are GOOD short stackers.

Happy?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not true - I've been short stacking because I kept getting hit with coolers in Rush and I wanted to limit my bankroll losses while I try to clear the promotion. But if I do double up (or more), I don't rathole because I'm perfectly happy to play a big stack as long as losing it won't damage my bankroll that much.
Sorry, what WV was trying to say was that all good short stackers are ratholers.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now I realise that WV beat me to it. Damn that hillbilly.

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man, that got jumped on. :) Okay, I suck at short stacking, but I'm not bankrolled for full stacking. Fact is, I don't even like Rush, but it's the fastest way to clear the promotion.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man, that got jumped on. :) Okay, I suck at short stacking, but I'm not bankrolled for full stacking.
NO. You actually need more BR for shortstacking than you need for 100bb poker. What stakes do you shortstack because if it is at 10nl, you have enough money to play 2nl or 5nl so your argument is invalid.

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm doing 2/5 nl. I lost about $17 doing full stack for four days. I'm up $2 after short stacking for three days. Why would I need a bigger bankroll to short stack?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what i was trying to say (and i dont really say anything most of the time) was that 2$ shortstacking and 2$ full stacking is not the same. More swings shortstacking.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People hate ratholers because they're taking money out of the game that they are unwilling to put at risk. IMO though doing it at Rush is perfectly fine if you're not comfortable playing deep. At a regular table if you take someone's stack they can reload and try to win it back but that's not true at Rush. Win a stack at Rush and it might be 20 hands before you see that player again.

Ty. I got another question from this. If person that I wiped out left after losing, then is it ok for me to leave immediately also or is it still considered ratholing for leaving immediately after winning? Just asking for future reference since I do plan to play standard ring games in the future.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it is still ratholing. You are still taking money off the table. Obviously if you have a legit reason it is fine but if you are switching tables it is not cool

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In live play it is frowned upon as well, but called "going south?"

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If someone went south on me, Id probably like it.

Last edited:
Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not positive that is the correct term...

Last edited:
M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is what I make of it

Last edited:
alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a quick question, doesn't the Ferguson BR management system involve ratholing sometimes?

Bill

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From what I've read ... A short stacker gets in a game w/ about 20 bb's, waits for big hand, then gets all in b4 the flop when there is a big pot;
Rat holing is leaving a table as soon as a big pot is won.

Last edited:
Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Going South is when you take money off the table and still continue to play.
i.e. Have $400 in front of you, slip $250 off the table and put it in your pocket and then only play with $150 in front.

Where ratholeing is not illegal (some players just don't think it's very ethical), going south is not allowed.

I was playing at the Venetian one night and ordered food. I grabbed some chips off the table to pay for it and the waitress wouldn't let me. I only assumed it was a form of going south that someone got cranky with. Meh.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you Volleycat for the explaination.

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what i was trying to say (and i dont really say anything most of the time) was that 2$ shortstacking and 2$ full stacking is not the same. More swings shortstacking.

If they had 1/2 Rush I would play it full stack, but I only have $70 on Full Tilt right now so that's only 14 buy-ins at $5 compared to 35 at $2. So far, I'm seeing fewer, smaller swings while playing short stacked. But even if I go on a run of bad beats, I can handle 2 1/2 times more of them if I play short stacked instead of full stacked.

Also, when I'm short stacked, I can't afford to play marginal hands. And since people are so aggressive in rush, I can rarely see a flop cheaply and I'm usually forced to fold unless I hit the flop perfectly, but premium hands seem to get paid off better than in a regular cash game.

P

Pistol_Shot_Ian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Sorta like what the Steelers are going to do as we go thru the remainder of the NFL season.... Sorry had to get that in there... Hate the Steelers but love getting their fans going. :D