What percentage of hands do you play?

mondo3

mondo3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, in a pokerstars tournament, do you play about once every 5 hands? Obviously it depends on your cards but some people seem to play about every second hand which seems so high to me. Just wondering what you would guess your average would be?

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on where you are in the tournament and how many people there are at the table. In my opinion there is not a number of hands you should play. I see the flop like between 10-20% of the times, Sometimes less, sometimes more.

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, in a PokerStars tournament, do you play about once every 5 hands? Obviously it depends on your cards but some people seem to play about every second hand which seems so high to me. Just wondering what you would guess your average would be?
Unless you're on a heater (or no one is playing aggressively) playing every other hand IS too high - that would translate to 50% VPIP (Voluntary $ put in pot - or % of hands played). One's VPIP, as a rule, is a bit too high after 30%, although that can be a reasonable number for good LAG players. 40%+ is where you're in fish territory, especially if there's a large gap between your VPIP and your PFR (Pre-flop raise) percentage. The sweet spot for VPIP is usually around 25%, but it will depend on where you are in a tournament and your card quality.

guwanch7777777

guwanch7777777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the beginning of the tournament it is desirable not to miss the hand but the end to play only good hands

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
% of Hands Played

I have been tracking for some time now the % of hands I play while playing at cash Omaha 7 card stud tables and it averages near 30%. Seems when I keep around this % i do well and have a winning secession.

Haven't tracked my play in tournaments so I am not much help here.

Good Luck at the tables :D

thetzarofpoker

thetzarofpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, in a PokerStars tournament, do you play about once every 5 hands? Obviously it depends on your cards but some people seem to play about every second hand which seems so high to me. Just wondering what you would guess your average would be?

I play all the cheap hands... no matter what I have.... while blinds are rising i cecame more selective..

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A global frequency of 25-27% is solid with 15-17% from UTG widening to 40-50% on the button, expanding in each position

delirium1129

delirium1129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol it depends on position and game type. In HU it is ~100% in zoom it is ~ 25%)

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is different for cash play or mtt... mtt i want over 20 % if possible.... 40 % means i am really hot at that point...... cash games i play every hand that makes any kind of sense which i can play CHEAPLY... I am a flop player i work off opponent my instincts and having as much information as I can have.... If people in cash are letting me in all the time honestly they are probably headed for a long day.....

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to play between 15% - 25% but depend cards, position and stage tournament (I play less hands at early stages).

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This, of course, depends on many components, but usually I play no more than 20% of hands with 100%. I try to be patient and so I am waiting for good cards.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on what type of game i play. For example when i play spin&go it's approxamitely 50% hands. When i play tournaments it's hard too say because its time when i play several hand in a row after that i fold over a dozen hands but i think it's a 10-20%.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For tournament play, I am at about 15 percent of the hands. It would probably be 5 percent if it wasnt for the blinds pushing me in. I am usually grateful that the blinds forced me into a hand.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In most of my favorite tournaments, my average is 15-20%.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In tournaments I play around 15% of my hands, which is actually a bit too nitty in my opinion. I am always trying to add some more hands to my range, but when I multi-table I often forget about this.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My percentage changes quite frequently, sometimes I look like an absolute nit, then sometimes I look like a lunatic and some people have said that I bluff way too much, but that's what I want them to think muhahahaha. My percentages change because I play the player and not always wait for the best cards. I believe you need to do this or you will blind out, obviously sometimes you will blind out if you are card dead and don't have enough info on your opponent to know how to exploit them!!!

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is difficult to say how much would be ideal but a player who plays many hands in a row will surely be a loser since it means that he is playing many hands with bad cards and very few with good cards

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually when I play my A game. it's between 12% and 20%. when I arrive to make my hands profitable. I do not need to play too much spot.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon friend. In the range of 15 to 20% in this analysis.

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every time I get a premium hand and almost anytime I'm second to last or last to act.

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I generally play connector cards with 2 gap at most (not often though), suited Aces, any 2 Broadway cards, pocket pairs, or even rags if I was opening in late position.

As long as you're a good player, you can get away with playing more hands. If you're starting off though, play less hands and then as you get better play more hands.

IcyPlayChips

IcyPlayChips

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It varies. But on averge I think I play about 1 in every dozen of hands. That's only 8.33% of all hands.

SLazarov

SLazarov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
really depends on your stack and tournament stage. overall average i play like 30%

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This like most poker questions the answer is "it depends". Generally the fewer players at the table the higher percentage of hands you should play. It also depends on the villans.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands