what is more important to be good at preflop or postflop

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop or postflop is your strength/weakness and which part of poker is more important

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most money is played on the post flop. Most money is won preflop. Determine what is more important. ;)

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I think the two phases are very important ... both Pre-flop and Post-flop ... however beyond the size of the pot ... in the post-flop phase I have seen players win a hand with nothing of value ... this phase needs more analysis and reading of your opponents to get the most out of your hand ..!

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This changes according to the modality to my liking. In cash games, the most important thing is the game after the flop, while in the tournaments, the blind game is very important, however, several times you will have to go all-in, therefore, you play more flop after of the flop. It's very relative

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have big leaks preflop its impossible to compensate postflop lets say open 72 off extream.. however mastering postflop is essential

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Post flop play makes a pro. Reading your opponent, deciding how much to push, these are real decisions.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think both are important, but it's crucial to understand which form is most crucial in the variant you play to make sure your game is made for.

If you are a player who likes to play elaborate bluffs, or if you feel that you have the talent to maximize profitability and minimize losses, you will be better able to play post-flop poker.

If you are a player who likes to exploit the weaknesses of players and play a game mathematically very refined, you will be better able to play poker pre-flop.

Once you have seen what style of player you are in, it is in your interest to search and play in the parts that fit that style.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Preflop is very important when at a table of good players. Not so good at a table of not so good players. Good players will listen to what the chips are saying. Bad players don't listen to what the chips are saying. Ask a question with chips and you will usually get the answer. I like postflop play better myself.

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id say you need to have a healthy mix of both. However if you had to choose, I'd say post flop, as you're inevitably going to spend more time post flop than pre.

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many say that to be a good player, you must know how to play Poker in all positions, reading for that is everything, try to analyze your plays, see where you are wrong, whether in the preflop, or in the powder-flop, and get your move, do that, know you still have the turn, and the river, where many players miss a lot more than the two initial items that bothers you

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Both pre and post flop are important. Too many people put dead money into the pot pre-flop. However, post-flop play is a lot more complex.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop is the most important.... a soild preflop game, where you have a soild system in place for every situation is very important.... and is actually the easy part.... once you have that, the skill come in post flop..... you can be skilled post flop, but get yourself into situations that cost you a lot of money without a soild pre flop foundation.... now you can be terrible post flop, but still be an OK/Breakeven player as long as your Preflop game is on lock.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both pre and post flop are important. However I feel that post flop is more important because you need to be able to close out the hand to win money and tournaments.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop or postflop is your strength/weakness and which part of poker is more important

If I had to pick one - postflop play is most important. However, preflop play sets-up postflop play.

So, preflop range and betsizing determines how the rest of the hand plays out as the board comes out.

Good luck !

M

matnautico

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop IMO, at the end of the day there is a lot of variance on weather or not you will make money post flop, if you can play solid pre, you will always be fine.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that if you play all-in on a pair of aces or a pair of kings, it's better to play pre-flop, but if you play on other cards, it's better
play the flop and look at the combinations that you may have!

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that being good at the preflop compounds the aspect of one being good at postflop. What I am saying is that if you are good at preflop it gives an even bigger advantage of being good at postflop. I could be wrong.

tweedy_1313

tweedy_1313

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah pre-flop play has a monumental effect in how it effects post flop play, in which one strategy or tactic should complement the other in a single hand.

Ya could try and keep track of how many hands you win pre-flop versus post-flop and see what the correlation is.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The two steps are important. However, we should observe how players are reacting to these two situations and identify the profile of each on the table to make the best decision at the moment.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
playing preflop in poker is very important, but postflop is crucial for me !!!

Shishkin30

Shishkin30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker, everything is important! Pre-flop and post-flop each stage of distribution is important. And the most important thing is that your hand is the strongest at the moment))

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, my friend, I believe both parties are important to make money in poker. If you do not know how to play the right pre-flop ranges this will make you lose money. The same thing is used for the post flop, if you play the right pre flop ranges but not knowing how to play them in the flop this will also cost a lot of money, so both parts have to be in line.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker every detail is important if you want to maximize your profit. Good preflop play is the easier and mandatory skill to master first. If you have good preflop play skills this will be good foundation for your postflop game. Today you can easily find good tables with opening ranges preflop which help people to quickly improve their preflop game. Postflop game improvement is slower process but it is what makes you really good player and not just average one.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I go with post flop. It's hard for me to get just the right bet, at pre flop, while still keeping just 1 or 2 players against my premium hand. The maneuvering begins post flop. Try not to imagine your opponent has hit any possible overcard on the board. The continuation bet comes in there. Although I think it is overused. It's an acquired skill, we've all seen too many bluffs and too many hits from the same player. It's hard for me to get good tells online, so I try to judge by how the player represents him/her self on the pre flop bet. Good luck, there's a lot more figuring out there.