What makes a good preflop player

J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Been studying preflop lately and wanted to know what makes a really good pre flop poker player?

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Been studying preflop lately and wanted to know what makes a really good pre flop poker player?

A reaaly Great preflop player probably has good reading skills in example.. watches people to see who limps or raises too many times and has the guts to play to his reads via 3 bet or squeeze or just a BB steal.
He also has the range to not allow opponents to easily put him on 1 of 15 hands or less when 3 betting, making him less predictable.
Definitely has the ability to fold!
Understands stack sizing to certain players dictates how they play a hand and range of cards
Understands the blinds compared to stack
Knows how to isolate
Applys pressure without making himself look too loose ie. changing your image
Can handle being under pressure and can think quickly and confidently
doesn't express his hand strength or disappointment of getting reraised .I often see phill H. start whining about what can I beat at the end of a hand and when he does this it effectively removes his opponents fold equity and removes his option to bluff, disables himself.

theres a million ways to be a great preflop player and it just depends on who u r playing

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop is the easiest part of the game. You just have to be confortable with ranges and positions, know when to 3-bet, know when to go all in. Overthinking too much how you play preflop is pointless in my opinion. The real decisions come in play after the flop and that's where you have to develop your skills.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He knows against whom he plays and how to take advantage of his good hands, as simple as that.

J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for your reply’s very helpful stuff feel like I’m getting there on my preflop game realised what sort of hands I can just 3bet Jam vs short stacks when to 3bet using postition and narrowing my flatting range vs certain player types

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In addition to what everyone else said, discipline makes a big difference. I got good results when I first started playing and didn't know very much about the game, just followed general TAG advice without much thoughts of my own. After I started getting good results from that, I started thinking that I must be a good player, and if I can make 10 BB an hour playing 1 hand every orbit, I could make twice that much playing 2 hands per orbit. Results not as hoped, of course, and I didn't consciously realize what was going on for a while. After tightening up again I'm better than I was originally because I know there are some cases to deviate from absolute TAG, but not too often.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I have no doubt that the success of becoming a great preflop player ... is the good reading you have about your opponents ... after a while of playing at the table with the same players you can start to see game patterns of your opponents and get the most out of that ..!

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, what everyone said is true, I think. I would only add to bet consistently with how you represented yourself throughout the play. As an example, you may not want to 4x after folding the last 10 hands, if you want to get a caller. The reverse is also true, if you have represented yourself as aggressive a large pre flop bet with a premium hand, may get you the amount of callers you want, and possibly a raise from someone calling your bluff.

Shishkin30

Shishkin30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good player preflop, does everything right)) Otherwise, he cannot be called a good player))))

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good selection of hands + good notion of absolute position (EP/MP/LP/Blinds) and relative position (IP/OOP), good use of 3-bet/squeeze by value and bluff and also knows always to put in the most advantageous situations...