1HotPepperIV

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hotpepperiv

What makes a good poker player?
May 13, 2010 5:59 pm Report Abuse

Good poker players come in all shapes, colors, attitudes and animals. Ok let me think about this a moment and say that the avatar you choose has little to do with your ability to play. It does spice up the tables but some don't use them so I will move on to a different area of thought.

Ok, first off, Poker is a mixture of skill, timing, chance, luck and simple math. If you have a good hand you know it, but the problem lies in the opponent's hands. Do you play the hand or do you play the player. It is obvious if you have bad players who are new or just not card-wise, they will play anything, raise on anything and sometimes just plain suckout with a runner runner and that leaves you just wanting to kick someone's butt. But, hey, the tables are different and you are dealing with a great deal of multiple personalities and playing styles.

First, bankroll management is key. If you have a very small bankroll and you get upset and decide to blow the whole wad, so be it. It is wiser to play like you have $millions and then play a little conservative and be aggressive depending on the cards. Bankroll management means not playing a $10 entry table when you have $12 total in your roll. So what do you do? I say play some small SNGs like $1.25 9 person games. That could work. Swing around to some freerolls. Some actually pay good money if you have the time and persistence to hang in there. FTP games don't hurt you either. You might get lucky. But first and foremost watch that bankroll and play about 10% of it on any entry to a Heads up or small sit and go or tiny tourney.

Second, Don't play when you are agitated, angry, upset, or just having a bad day. It is not to your advantage and you won't have fun and you will make some serious mistakes. Then you will end up doing Bankrupt Bankroll Management instead and sitting with some playchips and end up kicking your cat.

Thirdly, Come to the table with a good attitude. Feel out your players (be nice now), and know how they play. Watch their betting habits and play your cards with confidence and see what they do in response to your raises and reraises.

Forthly, Don't be a call raise call guy or gal. If you feel the hand is good or you are on the shortstack and see a viable way out with AA , AK, KK, AK suited or other premium hole cards ...go for it! The worst that can happen is you lose, but that shouldn't be the case.

Fifthly, try new approaches and develop a style of your own. Don't be too consistent on your playing constantly as a call call fold person. It helps to show a little aggression sometimes and the other people don't know what you have. You could have a monster hand and they don't know it and you have to play it with confidence. I have won with 23 offsuit against a player with KK and A27 Flops on the table. So don't look at rags as being no option. They can win, not often, but they simply could give you an edge if played right.

Last of all, get plenty of rest and mentally prepare yourself if the tourney is lengthy. When the breaks come eat something, drink something, walk around and think about your strategies. It is all good. In the meantime make new friends, enjoy the game and each other.

N

nenkov407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree on everything except the playing rags. Yes you could have K4o and the flop to be 444 but this should be folded unless you are big blind and there aren't raises before you. And one more advice to other players. If you fold 72o and the flop gets 772 or something like that you might feel the same as a bad beat. Don't feel that way. Just know that the same thing super rare and you are not fortune tellers to predict when this will be the flop. Also do not enter a flop with suited connectors under 8 because you risk when you catch a flush to be beaten very hard by a higher one.

A

Allmine79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience, tons of experience and putting the time in to study the game.

Sonny87

Sonny87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience, balance, persistance, practice and knowledge.

D

danntesvarna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you make a lot of money you know what it`s going on,This is what I want to say
,although I am not magnificent poker player.

L

lancel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same thing that makes smart people smart.
1.)Problem recognition
2.) Staying with the problem until you solve it(and enjoying this stage)
3.) Having the ability to preserve logic over emotional tendencies.
4.)Time, opportunity, luck of having leisure and peace of mind (many names for same concept)

P

PackAnotherBowl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Going all in with air on a wet, like a pussy, board.

G

Grinkosd

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience, balance, persistance, practice and knowledge...and LUCK!!!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience and well timed aggression.

Fernanda37

Fernanda37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience and willpower to never stop learning.

B

bocheech21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously patience. Waiting for the good cards and not bluffing so much. also 80 percent of the time i get good cards a raise preflop and usually end up getting the pot after the flop when no one has anything and i raise again. I also notice the agrresive players give alot of info away about them when they raise EVERY HAND its so obvious they dont have anything.

miric007

miric007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hotpepperiv

What makes a good poker player?
May 13, 2010 5:59 pm Report Abuse

Good poker players come in all shapes, colors, attitudes and animals. Ok let me think about this a moment and say that the avatar you choose has little to do with your ability to play. It does spice up the tables but some don't use them so I will move on to a different area of thought.

Ok, first off, Poker is a mixture of skill, timing, chance, luck and simple math. If you have a good hand you know it, but the problem lies in the opponent's hands. Do you play the hand or do you play the player. It is obvious if you have bad players who are new or just not card-wise, they will play anything, raise on anything and sometimes just plain suckout with a runner runner and that leaves you just wanting to kick someone's butt. But, hey, the tables are different and you are dealing with a great deal of multiple personalities and playing styles.

First, Bankroll management is key. If you have a very small bankroll and you get upset and decide to blow the whole wad, so be it. It is wiser to play like you have $millions and then play a little conservative and be aggressive depending on the cards. Bankroll management means not playing a $10 entry table when you have $12 total in your roll. So what do you do? I say play some small SNGs like $1.25 9 person games. That could work. Swing around to some freerolls. Some actually pay good money if you have the time and persistence to hang in there. FTP games don't hurt you either. You might get lucky. But first and foremost watch that bankroll and play about 10% of it on any entry to a Heads up or small sit and go or tiny tourney.

Second, Don't play when you are agitated, angry, upset, or just having a bad day. It is not to your advantage and you won't have fun and you will make some serious mistakes. Then you will end up doing Bankrupt Bankroll Management instead and sitting with some playchips and end up kicking your cat.

Thirdly, Come to the table with a good attitude. Feel out your players (be nice now), and know how they play. Watch their betting habits and play your cards with confidence and see what they do in response to your raises and reraises.

Forthly, Don't be a call raise call guy or gal. If you feel the hand is good or you are on the shortstack and see a viable way out with AA , AK, KK, AK suited or other premium hole cards ...go for it! The worst that can happen is you lose, but that shouldn't be the case.

Fifthly, try new approaches and develop a style of your own. Don't be too consistent on your playing constantly as a call call fold person. It helps to show a little aggression sometimes and the other people don't know what you have. You could have a monster hand and they don't know it and you have to play it with confidence. I have won with 23 offsuit against a player with KK and A27 Flops on the table. So don't look at rags as being no option. They can win, not often, but they simply could give you an edge if played right.

Last of all, get plenty of rest and mentally prepare yourself if the tourney is lengthy. When the breaks come eat something, drink something, walk around and think about your strategies. It is all good. In the meantime make new friends, enjoy the game and each other.

Thanks for the helpful tips !!!
I noticed some mistakes I obviously did.
This post will help me in improving my skills.

S

SerZhadanov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter how much you play, you will not improve unless you actively think about what your opponents are doing. Beyond this, you also need to seek other poker strategies from players better than you are. This can be done several ways through books, training videos, one-on-one coaching or discussing hands with friends

I

ivanbbb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good player playing a good tournament! And in order to play good tournaments have a lot of work and little to eat! Thank you my friend! I got the pleasure of your article!

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
know the opponents game is the main

DontAskWh

DontAskWh

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,
I think a poker player makes good patience , discipline , skills , agressivity , and learning the game always , and trying to play his hands creativity , and feeling the situation to make the profitable decision.
Thanks.