What is Low in Omaha High/Low?

Y

Yuliakivna

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have tried Omaha for the first time. Could anyone explain what is Lo? Often there is 3,2,A.

Where is the best place to learn Omaha combinations in pictures or diagrams?
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

olesyafarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! A low hand must comply with the "8 or lower" rule: all five cards in it must be no older than 8. a low hand cannot contain a pair or three, and straights and flushes are not counted. When determining the low, the lowest card is considered an ACE. The lower the cards in the low, the better the hand. To determine the winning low, hands are compared starting from the highest card.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5 4 3 2 A is the nut low hand. I would suggest checking out the Omaha Hi-Low section of the CardsChat Odds Calculator for a great visual intro to how hands do against each other.

atamian85

atamian85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have tried Omaha for the first time. Could anyone explain what is Lo? Often there is 3,2,A.

Thank you.

its hi lo omaha they do split pots.. one person will win for having the highest hand and one person will win for having the lowest hand like if you have a low straight like A 2 3 4 5 you thats the best hand you can get in lo

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The five different lowest cards of which two must be in your hand and 3 of the 5 cards on the table. When trying for lo, the five different cards considered must be no higher than the 8. Ace is considered a 1, the lowest number.

If there are not three separate cards on the table that are 8 or lower, there is no lo for the whole table.

If you do not have at least 2 cards that are an 8 or lower, there is no way you can have a lo.

You win half the pot if you have what is considered lo.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you.

Indeed for a 'lo' to play you must have 5 cards in your hand (using 2 of the 4 in your hand and 3 of the 5 in the community cards) that are below 8 (and pairs don't count)

If you want to learn about PLO8 one of the best books I found that was really easy to learn with was 'pot limit omaha eight or better revealed by Dan Deppen'

pretty sure its on amazon :)

4give4live

4give4live

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is also a "law" expression in poker. This is when you call your opponent's all-in with AA, and he catches two pair already on the flop :D

Y

Yuliakivna

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all for the explanation, very useful!❤️