What is "In Position"?

D

derpaderp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I'm reading a book that mentions being IP (in position) or OOP (out of position). I've only ever seen the term early position, not IP.

Does anyone know what IP actually means? Is it relative to other players, or relative to the button?

I'm assuming OOP means the blinds and UTG.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's both of them actually. Button is where you will act last postflop so you have position over everyone else and see what they do, have more information and act acordingly so you should play more hands from the button. Also If the button folds the position advantage moves to right and now cutoff has position over everyone else. The only situation where You cant have position in the hand is If You are in SB. From the BB You will have position vs the SB.

Z

ZARGA123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

IP is the abbreviation for In Position which is usually related to late positions CO (cut off) and the BTN( Button) as the two last positions are the strongest ones since players in Early Positions commonly know as EP are not in control since they do not have enough informations to raise or call because they are Out Of Position OOP. So OOP is related to the early positions UTG and BB included.Good luck on the tables

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are players who do not pay much attention to the position when playing a tournament but ignore the importance of playing with a position on the table, without a doubt the best position is BOTON where you get a lot of information from the hand, and the position with more disadvantage is UTG for being an early position because you are exposed or you can not get more information on the development of bets that come
There are 4 types of positions on a table
Blinds
Early Position
Middle Position
Late Position

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-12-02-08-55-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-02-12-02-08-55-1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 61
NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In position is being bent over by a brutal river! :burnout:

It's the one last to act in the hand, the person with the button or closest to the button if button folds. Position is an important factor in poker strategy.

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position is one of the most important factors in decision making in poker

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
So I'm reading a book that mentions being IP (in position) or OOP (out of position). I've only ever seen the term early position, not IP.

Does anyone know what IP actually means? Is it relative to other players, or relative to the button?

I have always understood that IP (in position) is the last player to act and OOP (out of position) is everyone else.

Preflop it is the BB (big blind) and postflop plus, it's the last player to act.

Examples.
All players fold to the SB who calls and the BB checks. The BB is in position and the SB is out of position.

The player on the button will always be in position, after the flop, provided he remains in the pot. If the button folds then the last player to act becomes the player in position. Note:- If one of the early position players is the last to act, then that player is in position.

So, you can have up to four different players that were in position at some stage, in any one hand. You can be out of position early on and be in position later.

Last edited:
LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hello,
Positon is one of the most important concepts in poker!

OOP - Out of Position
IP - In Position

Allways relativ to the villain, the blinds, etc.

Lets say you open a hand at a 6max Holdem game from UTG aka EP. Preflop you are first to act, 5 players behind you. You will play OOP against 5 players preflop. This will switch postflop, because the SB is allways first to act. So against the blinds you will play IP, against the rest of the table OOP.

Wich is why you want to play a tighter range of hands when opening from UTG, because it is way more likely to play OOP against a villian that is IP (Relativ to you).

Hence why the blinds (especially SB) are the positions wich are less profitable to play. First of you are forced to pay, no matter what youre hand is, second you will have to play OOP more frequently.

Only play youre strongest holdings when playing OOP (UTG and SB) and try to be the last to act preflop, so going in as the "aggressor" by opening, 3-betting and 4-betting. This will give you the advantage that youre Handrange is uncapped. Wich means you could have the strongest possible holdings like AA-JJ, AKs etc. So for instance if a flop comes with A, you will have an easy continuation bet, because you will most likely have the stronger Aces. Same goes for a flop like 8h8c2s, it is more likely you allready have a strong pair in your hand, and on such a dry board the villian wont hit a lot. Wich makes it easy for you to take the pot down right there.

While playing OOP very tight, play a bit looser when IP. to try to balance that out. Hands like J8s are very nice hands when on the BU but you usually dont want to play them UTG. Depends on the situation really, but i hope you get the idea ;)

SaintNick1968

SaintNick1968

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way this works is that 'in position' means that you get to act after other people after the flop, meaning you get the advantage of seeing what your opponent does before you have to make your play. 'Out of position' means the you are anything except from last to act. This means that the terms are relative to the other players. You can be in position in the big blind if it folds to the small blind and they put in action, and it is possible to be out of position in the cutoff if you put in action and the button calls.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To play in position is to play in the final positions ,when you are in the button.

freddy66

freddy66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hummmmmm.....

i like it when the lil woman is in position.........lmfao........but ip means cutoff or button.....correct?:cool:

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In position means you act after your opponent or opponents in a given situation. Out of position means you act before your opponent or opponents in a given situation. So you have position on opponents acting before you and are out of position vs opponents acting after you.

D

derpaderp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, thanks for all the great replies!

It looks like, at minimum, IP means last to act. That makes sense!

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
To play in position is to play in the final positions ,when you are in the button.

When you play from middle position and everyone after you fold, you still in position to the players who are on the blinds and in early position. Position is everithing!

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, when you speak of IP it refers to the abbreviation of In Position, it is related to end positions CO and BTN (Button) since the last two positions are the strongest.

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, when you speak of IP it refers to the abbreviation of In Position, it is related to end positions CO and BTN (Button) since the last two positions are the strongest.
It's really not related to CO and BTN. You are more likely to be in position throughout the hand from those spots but it's really about your position relative to your opponents.

Z

ZARGA123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's really not related to CO and BTN. You are more likely to be in position throughout the hand from those spots but it's really about your position relative to your opponents.

This is the perfect explanation for IP and OOP in position is the last to act and OOP is the first to act

D

derpaderp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the perfect explanation for IP and OOP in position is the last to act and OOP is the first to act

I think OOP is actually anything that is not the last to act, judging by the other comments. It's true that first to act is OOP, but so is everyone else (in relation to the next player) besides the last to act player.

B

briandaniel0532

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me the bes position is BB and SB

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me the bes position is BB and SB

now thats interesting :D Because for everyone else in the pokerworld these are the less profitable positions at the table... What makes you think these are the best positions?

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
now thats interesting :D Because for everyone else in the pokerworld these are the less profitable positions at the table... What makes you think these are the best positions?

They are the best when you're shortstacked in tourney play and need to shove/fold preflop. Other than that I agree these are the worst spots to play from.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are the best when you're shortstacked in tourney play and need to shove/fold preflop. Other than that I agree these are the worst spots to play from.

Why is that? Because you can shove wider? Id rather get foldequity by shovoving first from BU or CO when short, or am i mistaken?