What ideas pop into your head when you're applying a bluff?

LenilsonF7

LenilsonF7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As we all know, Poker is a game that for the most part is based on bluffs. And this is proven in most hands played at a table never reach the showdown, that is, the moment when players show their hands and compare who has the best game.

This is because poker players do not know the hands that their opponents have, thus giving advantages to those who know how to make the bluff at the right time.

However, it is not easy to make our opponents think we have a good hand, so how to bluff in poker effectively?

Over the course of playing Poker, I have been trying to improve my skills, including the art of bluffing.

But the question I want to leave here in the forum is: "What is the idea behind the bluff?". I would like to read the comments of my colleagues from CardsChat what ideas are going on in each of you. Let's go go go...

https://www.facebook.com/lenilsonfonsecaopoetaarqueirodamadrugada#

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are thinking that bluffing is mostly what poker is about, you should exam that. You should have a good reason to pull of a bluff, other wise you will be trapped, raised and taken off you're game. Know the table dynamics or seeing a mistake from the villain is good time to bluff.

I have seen people buff there way out of a tournament. Playing to many hands and to many bluffs is an easy tell. You will get challenged and then exploited. Many ways to setup a bluff, showing a strong hand than didn't go to showdown, playing tight and seeing good opportunity to setup a bluff or using position to move in.

Tight table is good place to win a few pots. All comes down to the right time and can you tell a story that is convincing.

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is better to use a bluff before a player about which you already have information, because without knowing the player you can run into a very serious opponent.

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a lot of things to consider. I think the three most important concepts to have in mind would be:

1. How to size your bet for fold equity/implied odds if it's a semi bluff
2. What range you have your opponent on
3. What range you're representing

If you can have a good idea of those three things, you can get a decent estimate of how often your opponent is going to fold and roughly what your EV might be.

shykarno

shykarno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a newbie. and the idea of ​​my bluff to make a bet and look at your opponent. if he is weak it is noticeable.

AMTTT

AMTTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
idea to bluff more dependent on the size of the stack, is not so easy with a small stack, force your opponent to believe your bluff, and it is necessary to feel the game, when your opponent exactly will throw his hand on your bluff, not that there are players who do not give in on any bluff and may even respond with a little hand

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats my range, whats my opponent range, do i have any blockers, am i gonna be bluffing here with other hands and value betting thin enough to justify bluffing that board, etc... think thats main thoughts that go through my head :)

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your very first lesson in bluffing should be about blind stealing. If not, you won't understand when bluffing is most likely to work. As with most poker strategies, being in position works best.

Here's the most basic example of blind stealing in position.

Pre-flop:
- You're on the button
- UTG's fold their hands
- Low and High jacks fold as well.
- The cutoff folds (Everyone has folded)
- Regardless of your hand strength, you raise.
- Small blind folds
- BB calls (Or folds)
- Flop comes down and completely misses your hand
- BB checks
- You bet 1/2 the pot
- BB folds
- You win.

As you can see, it's not even necessary to look at your cards. All you're doing is playing your position. That's the advantage of being last to act. When you're first to act, you have no idea what anyone is going to do. When you're last, you've seen what everyone has done. In this case, a 1/2 pot bet will usually take it down because the only person to act before you is the BB....and he checked.

Now here's an example of how the concept of blind stealing extends into another opportunity to bluff.

Pre-flop:
You're in the cutoff position
Your Cards: 10d 9d
- UTG limps in
- A couple guys fold
- Low jack limps in
- High jack folds
- You raise 5x because two guys limped and you know that the guy on the button is a tight, mousy player who folds almost everything. If he folds, you will be in position (Last to act).
- The button folds
- Small blind folds
- The BB and remaining two players call
- Flop comes down 5h 7h Kd completely missing your hand
- BB and UTG check
- Low jack bets min
- You ignore his bet and wager 2/3 the pot
- BB calls (He might be on a flush or straight draw)
- UTG and low jack folds
- Turn card is a 2s (Board is 5h 7h Kd 2s) again missing your hand completely.
- BB checks (He missed his draw)
- You bet 1/2 the pot
- BB folds
- You win

In this hand, the BB could have virtually anything. He had to bet without seeing his cards. UTG, on the other hand, will usually have a decent hand if he's willing to enter the pot with a raise. A low pair, high pair, strong face cards or an Ace with a good kicker is a typical hand for UTG raisers. By limping however, it suggest that UTG doesn't have a lot of confidence in his hand, but wants to see a flop anyway for as cheap as possible. The Low Jack will play with a wider range of hands than UTG, but he also limped in which suggest just "okay" cards.

After the flop, your raise represents KK even though you don't have it. Because the BB calls, it stands to reason that his crappy cards have actually given him some kind of draw. But after the lousy turn card (2s), any draw he had is now busted....so he checks.

You just continue on pretending to have KK and the win is easy.

When you try to do this kind of stuff out of position, it becomes much more difficult simply because there's people after you who haven't acted yet who will be playing with a wider range of cards. Their cards will often pair well with a mediocre flop, where an early position raiser isn't likely to do so when the flop comes down dry without face cards.

Last edited:
U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing starts preflop with the most important detail. What range of hands are you representing? Did the flop connect with the range I represented? Did the turn connect? So on so forth. You can't just throw chips at a pot and call it a bluff.

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What does he think , I think he has .... master this and the game is yours....