What happens on a suited board?

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

I'm curious about the rules on a suited board. I haven't been able to find anything specific.

The scenario came up in a hand I played today.

I shoved on this board and won the pot. It was a freeroll so I did it despite being unsure.

I'm curious about things like:

- what happens if one player holds a diamond in this situation?
- what happens if both hold diamonds?
- does anything change if the Ace is missing from the board?

Thanks for your advice :)

Fullysuited

Fullysuited2

Last edited:
Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
In the example you both have a flush with Ace high and the pot is split.

If only one of you is holding a diamond and the diamond is higher than six (so at least 9 in this example), that player wins.

If you are both holding a diamond higher than six (e.g. you have J and the opponent has Q) the higher diamond wins (unless you have 9 and make the straight flush).

If you meant that we would replace the Ace with e.g. 2 of diamonds, then if only one of you is holding a diamond he will win the pot.

If you both have one diamond the higher card wins unless it is the 9 which makes the straight flush.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In NLH you always use 5 cards to make your hand, so if none of your hole cards can improve on the board, you are playing the board. However all 5 cards play, so in your example a player holding QdJs has AdQdTd8d7d, which is a better flush than AdTd8d7d6d. A player holding 5d3s has AdTd8d7d6d and is playing the board. His 5d got counterfeited, when the last diamond hit the board.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone,

I'm curious about the rules on a suited board. I haven't been able to find anything specific.

The scenario came up in a hand I played today.

I shoved on this board and won the pot. It was a freeroll so I did it despite being unsure.

I'm curious about things like:

Thanks for your advice :)

View attachment 278857

View attachment 278858

So far there are pretty good answers to your post on this thread.

I just wanted to point out some obvious things.....there are 2 potential straight flushes. The 9d and 54d.

The Kd would probably call your shove.

By shoving you aren't just trying to steal the pot. You are trying to get someone with a better flush to fold their Jd or Qd.

Personally I am OK with you shoving to steal the pot - getting called and losing.

But I am NOT OK with you shoving - getting called - and not understanding why you lost the hand when you had an A-high flush.

So - this is actually an important concept to understand: when does your flush beat someone else's flush?

In general this river spot with this board is very tricky.

Good job and good luck !

Last edited:
eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Someone who held the jd9d would have the nut. If no one held the jd9d, then whoever held a 9d would win the hand. Whoever is holding 5d4d is the 3rd best hand. 4th best hand is whoever held the kd, 5th best hand is whoever held the qd. 6th best hand is whoever held the jd.

Otherwise, if no one is holding the kd, qd, jd or 9d, then the players remaining in the hand would split the pot.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was not the question, but just for the record I am not to crazy about this river bluff. BB was all in, so even if the bluff work, we still either lose or split the main pot. And as for SB he is most likely playing the board as well, so if we check back, we are still likely to win half the side pot and maybe a third of the main pot as well. And since we are risking more than 3 times the pot, this is a really bad risk/reward. If we are going to have bluffs here at all, maybe a smaller sizing could get the job done.