What are the factors you take into consideration before deciding to bluff?

M

_migs_

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When is the right time to bluff? I think a big leak I have is only bluffing when I have a “feeling” instead of using logical reasons.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Using intuition is okay when bluffing but consider how your opponents have played up to that point, are they tight and fold regularly if they don't hit the flop or are they a calling station, showing no respect to your aggression. Also consider how you plan to bluff, are you going to bet 3 streets or if they call 2 barrels, do you decide to give it up? Position will also make a difference.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
It all depends on the number of opponents and your position at the table.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your position and the actions of the opponents before you are what you basically need to consider. For instance, if they all check around to you or min-bet, you've got a decent shot at a bluff.

Anyway, this is not something you want to use with a lot of frequency; rather just on occasion.

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on hands you block and what is your and your opponents range in a spot, i wouldnt just fire off randomly but there are some boards where you almost never have it which i wouldnt barrel, but on some specific boards where your opponents range is not that strong bluffing should work, for example if you raise QJs utg, BB calls, flop is 2 5 10 rainbow, you cbet they call, their range is mostly 1 pair hands or gutshots or 2 overcards, turn A, this is clearly best card for you that doesnt improve you(other then K i guess), so bluffing on an ace there with gutshot equity is really good, if they call you can hit K for the nuts, Q J for a good showdown hand, or you can bluff if you dont think they got ace which most of the time they wont have.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing in NLH is required but contradictory because it is difficult to make a pair in NLH. You need to know if your opponent is disciplined enough, if they have a pot commited hand,if you can represent etc. DO NOT bluff except for c bets unless you understand your opponents ranges and tenancies.

I

its TG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tent to rely on instinct more than stats.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main things I look for are , do I have position , has he shown weakness , does he have a tendency to call with weak hands and did I raise preflop .

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many, many factors. Here are just a few:

1) Is this a tournament or cash game ?
2) How tight is the other player ?
3) How big is the pot ?
4) What are our positions ?
5) What are our stack sizes ? If the other player has 5 times my stack and the pot is fairly large, my bluff is much less likely to work.
6) What image do I have ? Have I folded the last 20 hands or have I been involved in lots of pots ?
7) How scary is the board ? Does the board hit my range harder or my opponents ?
8) What has the action been so far this hand ? Has the player bet like they are scared and trying to protect an overpair/TPTK hand or do I sense that they are trying to keep me in the pot with a strong hand like a set ?
9) How desperate am I ? For example, I might be getting dealt trash hands all night and it's worth taking a gamble on a decent sized pot instead of continuing to fold hands.
10) Is it a pure bluff or do I have outs ? I'm more likely to make a big bluff if I have even some outs like 2 over cards to the flop or a gut shot straight draw.

As you can see, it's not something you should just do on a whim. In fact, I think you can be successful without even resorting to big bluffs. You can stick with c-bets and semi-bluffs with flush or OES draws.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok there are several but the basic ones are the position and the style of game that you perceive of the opponent.

Greetings

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no straight answer to the question of “how often should I bluff?”. Just as there is no straight answer to the question “how often should I fill up my car” or “how often should I go to the gym?”.It all depends. (Sorry)To be more precise, when it comes to bluffing in TexasHold'em or any other variant of poker for that matter, you need to evaluate each individual situation before deciding whether or not to bluff.There is no set optimum frequency for bluffing that covers every situation.It would be awesome if I could tell you that you should bluff once every 10 hands or something to that effect, but there are no hard or fast rules in poker.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
  • What hand can I represent with a bluff?
  • Does bluffing make sense?
  • What hands does my opponent have that will fold to a bluff?
  • Does my hand have any showdown value if it goes check/check?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to look at a few things:
1. The villans vpip-pfr gap - The bigger the gap the more fit or fold he "should" be
2. The villans fold to cbet stat
3. The villans fold to barrel - This will tell you how many streets you may have to bet
4. The overall meta - what does the villan think of me, what has he seen me do recently etc
5. Things like stack tension, icm, tourney equity, stack depth - This should show you how much the villan needs to be committed

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd say its a combination of pfr tendancys/range and cbet % often I find reraising the flop in the right spot adds a nice chunk to my stack with little resistance and any 2 cards. 80% of pots don't go to showdown

S

Sp0own

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have a plan for the hand from the flop to know what are you going if you will miss the turn and river. Your bluff should be credible and look like a value bet instead of what it is.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The fewer players left in the game, the more successful the bluff will be. It is easier to knock out one player than two or three.
A bluff will be more successful against a tight, accurate player who often folds without a strong hand.

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, it is easier to bluff in the game, I'm talking about a live game. Depends on the position, the opponent, reading the opponent in the first place

S

sirgobbles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Main things I look for is preferably button position, and how many people are in the hand

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many things that I take into consideration before bluffing (position, stack, type of opponent, tournament phase, etc.), this is very variable and personal.
However, I feel more willing to bluff in live games, as I can better observe the reactions of other players. Online I have a bit of trouble yet ...

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for myself it is most o understand the opponent and can anticipate his range and how he is calling

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have several reasons for bluffing, mainly the structure of the Board. But not a few important dynamics at the table and of course information on the opponent.

T

triplstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play at a home game and there are times where I need to donate small pots to the host (bad bluffs) in order to keep getting invited.

Other times, it depends on the frequency that my bluff can go through. There are certain players that I almost always triple barrel if I know that I can get them to fold a high % of the time.