What else is worth

SRNegras

SRNegras

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good night people! I want to dedicate myself a little more to poker and I would like to know from you what is more worthwhile: paying for a poker course or investing my time being self-taught and go on applying what I learn. I know that in both choices I will have to dedicate my time, but I wanted to know your experience and what was best for each one. Thanks and hugs!

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's so much free content to help you learn and improve your game that personally I wouldn't pay for anything at the start. I think if you're self taught too, you can structure your learning to what you need most of all. When you use the content on the forum, youtube, other free training sites you also get to hear one lesson from multiple perspectives which is nice in that you can then draw your own ideas from all the information you hear, which to me usually helps you get a more well rounded idea of any individual topic. I'd say at least try it and see how you like it before doing a paid course.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think self taught its best because everyone is different and that's what makes poker infinite that there's many different ways people play and you can never know what others have but you have to have an idea by the styles. so self taught will allow you to develop your own styles faster rather than trying to copy the way someone else plays. I like watching ways others play because I can think of ways to counter their strategies. also, it's not a bad idea to use the internet and youtube to see different styles of plays and how people play certain hands in certain positions.

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
The most important thing is midset, humility, modesty and respect for time and peaople. When the player's money goes blind, then poker always will destroy this player.

"To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you're not, pretend you are." - Muhammad Ali

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that there is a lot of free content, you have everything on the internet, try to spend some time studying for free now if in time you think your game is not improved, then spend it

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to play 400+ tournaments to have a picture of your game. Analyze your play and the play of your opponents to find out weaknesses. And over time, go to the coach so that he can suggest what needs to be tightened up.

O

olesyafarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! I think it depends on the person, on their ability to self-learn. For example, I know that a good coach would be better for me, since it is better for me to perceive information in this way than to search for everything myself, filter it out, look for mistakes and doubt whether I evaluated my game correctly.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not have the opportunity to pay for training and there is no need. I went through everything on my own experience. I just don't use my money in the game. The freeroll is enough for me.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good night people! I want to dedicate myself a little more to poker and I would like to know from you what is more worthwhile: paying for a poker course or investing my time being self-taught and go on applying what I learn. I know that in both choices I will have to dedicate my time, but I wanted to know your experience and what was best for each one. Thanks and hugs!

Thank U 4 posting

It is always best to get coaching right away so that you can have someone see your mistakes and be able to put you on a winning path from the beginning.

Just buying a poker course does not do that for you though. You need someone to look at your play and see what YOU are doing wrong. However that is very expensive.

Most of the coaches today had good players helping them when they started by watching them play and correcting their poker lines. So if you can find a player better than you to watch as you play or record yourself playing and share the video than you can speed up the learning process.

Of course sharing hand reviews here on cardschat and going through the hand reviews of others is also a great way to learn the +ev way to play and it is faster than making errors then fixing those errors.

Jonathan Little has free youtube videos where he looks at his students play and discusses both correct play and errors. I would suggest you start looking at player review type videos

Lastly learning about how to build hand ranges before you grind will help you have rapid growth. it takes many hours of research and learning and again there are many free videos on range building. Being a good player before you grind is the faster route to success than the learn as you go model.

Hope this helps
:):)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please play for more than 5 hours a day and continue it for one month.

The free roll is also fine for everything.

If there is a thing felt with that a lot, it isn't necessary to pay money for a poker course.

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Self taught

I learned watching my father play in the sixties against my uncles and friends. There was no cell phone or computer to look up material about learning how to play poker. Personally I prefer self taught in everything I do this way I know what works for me. I read a lot and I will on occasion pick and choose an article that would help me down the road on a decision I might make. We all tick different and I am not paying anyone for all the free information out there on the planet. Basic Instinct Capo1014

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It really depends on what paying for a coach represents to you. If you're able to afford a coach for say 6 months and in those 6 months, they are going to improve your game significantly, then get a coach. Self taught is great, but it is generally a lot slower than being coached.

Like a few others have said though, make sure you're putting in the hours first instance. There is little point in having a coach if there is nothing to analyse and review.

Good luck in your games!

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a good coach will cost a lot of money...100/hour +..think about that in relation to your bankroll and realistic expectations.

if you know the basics....hand selection...position...maths...range..when to fold/call/raise with your draws...bet-sizing ...how to make quality player notes...how not to lose...then you should be beating the micros / low stakes games...

learn from your owm mistakes...very important.

hey...what do i know...i don't know your roll or what stakes you are currently beating.

negreanu's wsop tourney streams are good for learning how not to lose and how to min cash...but not good for how to win big.

Last edited:
tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the fastest way to improve your poker game. it is to watch strategic videos and to be inspired by them for your game. you have to play several hundred hands a day to acquire the experience and the knowledge necessary to reach a good level of play.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it is quite possible to become a successful player by doing self-study. There are now a lot of useful books and various teaching materials. In particular, members of our community have access to a vast knowledge base. All you need is the desire to be successful.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both options are good. It all depends on what goals you are pursuing. If poker is fun for you, there are plenty of books and self-study. If you want to become a more professional player, you cannot do without special courses and a good mentor. In addition, it will take a lot of practice and analysis of your own game to correct mistakes and improve the strengths of your game. Good luck

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You know, wrote a post, and then thought if you too often listen to other people's advice, you will either be a mediocre player or become someone's pathetic copy. Most likely, you should look for your own path in poker and luck will certainly not bypass you, which does not exclude at all taking into account the experience of your predecessors and deep study of poker theory. Once again, good luck in your endeavors!