What does it mean to be a player with a manic personality?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello to the whole CC family. Today I have a question:

what does it mean to be a maniac at a poker table?

How to play against that type of player?

Greetings and good luck at the tables.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A maniac at the poker table will find himself playing in pots he should not be in.

Not too hard to beat this type of player. The whole table will take their shot at him usually with an all in. After several all ins , the maniac cannot get lucky so many times with the crap cards they play and eventually loses their roll to better hands.

C

Cesum Pec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problems with the manic are several. You know he is going to lose his roll but it might not be tonight, it might not be to you, and he might hurt you hard in the short run.

Daytona, 2/5NL. Some nights the poker God's slap you down by sending in a fool maniac. (FM) FM always opened for $35 -100 In no relation to his strength. MP opens for $30. FM Raises to $135, So I knew he was pot committed. I shove $1000 with AA.

MP goes into the tank and calls. FM goes all in for less. FM wins the main with 73o. MP wins the side with KJsu. I go home.

But most nights FM played he went home broke. You just had to hope he didn't go broke before you got your shot at him.

In another FL room last weekend 2 maniacs in seats 3 & 4 are butting heads nearly every hand. Seat 4 lost 3 buy ins to seat 3 in about an hour and went home. Seat 3 had a stack $5000 more that next big stack. He played over 80% of the hands and called every preflop raise, no matter how much. Though he would fold to big bets post flop or push all in.

It didn't take but a couple of hours for him to take out his wallet to rebuy another $1000. I got about $750 of it before he left.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A maniac is someone, who play far to many hands, and who also tend to play them aggressively. He is basically fighting (to) hard for every single pot, and because his range is wide, a lot of his bets and raises are bluffs. Maniacs are also sometimes called "aggro fish". To play against maniacs you need to have a solid bankroll and be patient. Since they are typically not interested in folding, you should reduce bluffing and especially bluffing without equity, but you should widen your value range.

For instance it is often not a good idea to 3-bet a maniac before the flop with 65s, as you would do against a good player, because he is just going to call with his whatever, and his whatever is mostly ahead of 65s. But you can perhaps 3-bet AJ offsuit for value, which you would have folded against a good player.

After the flop its kind of the same thing, and you should also look to do a fair bit of bluff catching against maniacs. If for instance you open KK, the maniac call you in position, and flop comes JJ5 rainbow, then check to him and let him barrel off with his whatever. Sure from time to time he will have a J, and you will have huge egg all over your face. But most of the time he will have absolutely nothing and be drawing nearly dead against you.

Last edited:
besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A manic person often looks groovy, sociable, cheerful, with a good sense of humor, although in fact he has a depressive personality organization.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

The main thing is patience. If you are patient enough, you will always have an advantage over such opponents. I see such players solely as a good opportunity to double my stack.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A maniac is someone, who play far to many hands, and who also tend to play them aggressively. He is basically fighting (to) hard for every single pot, and because his range is wide, a lot of his bets and raises are bluffs. Maniacs are also sometimes called "aggro fish". To play against maniacs you need to have a solid bankroll and be patient. Since they are typically not interested in folding, you should reduce bluffing and especially bluffing without equity, but you should widen your value range.

For instance it is often not a good idea to 3-bet a maniac before the flop with 65s, as you would do against a good player, because he is just going to call with his whatever, and his whatever is mostly ahead of 65s. But you can perhaps 3-bet AJ offsuit for value, which you would have folded against a good player.

After the flop its kind of the same thing, and you should also look to do a fair bit of bluff catching against maniacs. If for instance you open KK, the maniac call you in position, and flop comes JJ5 rainbow, then check to him and let him barrel off with his whatever. Sure from time to time he will have a J, and you will have huge egg all over your face. But most of the time he will have absolutely nothing and be drawing nearly dead against you.

I feel this will help me a lot when playing against super agressive players. I got burned many times trying to give them the same medicine but I understand now that I have to be patient and bluffing against them is a no no. Cheers

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Manic personality

Well all I can say if your feeling manic or going through a severe manic episode dont play poker. Get help for that. The longer you wait the worst it gets.

W

williemays56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what does it mean

Very interesting question, I would have to ask myselfthis question. Cause I believe this fits me like acoat. I get best way I can describe it, is passive aggressive with the knowledge of the game but sometimes make snap dec without much thought.

Regie19

Regie19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as a list of such a person on the table. and I have an advantage against him when I know what he is

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

A maniac is an extremely aggressive player, who plays many marginal hands, and often tries to "win" by pure aggression. A maniac raises, bets and bluffs a lot. It plays an extreme form of loose-aggressive style.
When you come across a player like that, choose your range of hands well, so that when you confront him, you can extract as much chips or money from him. I hope I helped...

Good luck at the tables!