What to do when you flop the nuts?

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So when you flop quads, a full house, flush, straight, how do you get value out of it. Most of the time im heads up in a pot when playing online and if i have the nuts then they likely have nothing so will fold or wont bet. Is there a way to build the pot up in these situations? In live play there will probably be more people in the pot so i would perhaps check call out of position and a small bet in position to keep as many people in the pot as possibe for the later streets.

A

adueno81

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I might bet 1/4 of my stack at a time just in case I have nothing i'm not heads up.

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try and play the same way if i didnt have the nuts. still can be so difficult to get value in those spots.

A

anderson697

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At that time what I do to get some chips is to make small and medium bets.:cool::cool::cool:

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In these situations it is best to play at check until you wait for the bet of the opponent, especially if he is the one who acts first, it is advisable to look for the opponent's bluff.

bijan777

bijan777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Out of postion our in postion are different
Of corse if i have st and flop have flashy in the river maybe bee 2nuts its different too
It s poker

J

johnvarela87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So when you flop quads, a full house, flush, straight, how do you get value out of it. Most of the time im heads up in a pot when playing online and if i have the nuts then they likely have nothing so will fold or wont bet. Is there a way to build the pot up in these situations? In live play there will probably be more people in the pot so i would perhaps check call out of position and a small bet in position to keep as many people in the pot as possibe for the later streets.

It's mostly going to depend on the situation, many people(myself included) find themselves in these spots. It's important to understand that as lucky as you are to flop the nuts your opponent has to be equally lucky(or unlucky rather) to have a hand they can continue with. Or if they believe you to be tricky they could bluff as well. Many folks ain't just going to bluff with napkins though. If your image at your table is that of someone who plays close to the vest it will be difficult to extract value from these situations. Alternatively if you have the image of someone on the looser side then you can gain much value from these situations. but that also has it's drawbacks(getting called down light). At the end of the day you'll find that for as many times as you pick up aces UTG and raise. Only to be disappointed when the whole table folds. There will be just as many situations where your long shots come in, and it seems like you can do no wrong. Not sure if that helps, but I hope it does.

PMP

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some advice is to never slow-play.

But in NL poker I will check and hope someone gets a piece of it and bets.

In limit poker I will bet to build the pot and give my opponents better pot odds - hopefully they are drawing dead.

Good luck !

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
helps to know your enemy...if theres not alot of all in being followed, raise a lil n then check hope they think your bluffing n try n raise you be careful watch for threes, flushes nstraight possobilities

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything depends on the cards published on the board and from the opponent. If opponent knows how I play, me will be difficult to extract the maximum benefit. You can try to turn your hand into a bluff. But it depends on the maps published on the board and on the action preflop. So, it is difficult to say.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the other player ..... if I am up against an aggressive player then its a check / call until we reach the river then its a check re-raise on river.

bijan777

bijan777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depended on your hand
they have powerfull hand and do
Slow play to get from you more value
If your not nuts fold
I see Just some time rassian use as bulf

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , very good question, as some have already stated, yours and your opponents image will count for a lot of what to do in that situation, and in any event this is where the "luck " in poker really comes into it, table image/battles at the table/history etc can all be irrelevant if the opponents simply fold as may indeed happen, the luck in poker and where you really get paid off is when opponents have the 2nd best hand, most cases this is when huge pots are made,
I have faced this scenario at times and yes the temptation is to check and hope your opponent has something, my advice then is to mix it up, check at times and overbet at times and value bet at times, we don't know what our opponents will do , so just mess with them hahahahaha :) , wish i had better ideas

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
in poker, all situations are different and even if you have a situation with the same cards, you need to play it differently depending on the situation and the actions of the opponent !!! There are situations where you just need to provoke opponents to bluff a passive game or to pretend that you are bluffing yourself (by betting a lot) and this will give a result, but it all depends not only on you but also on your opponent's game !!!

Last edited:
makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When you have "the nuts", you think you must get a big profit and shove everything. The problem is that you appear very obvious on what you have and everyone folds. Only if another player or other players have also something strong, there can be a battle which rises the pot. You can also set a trap and let the other players to rerise!

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on two things

- Is it the mortal nuts, or is it the nut flush which can be drawn out on
- What are the other players in the hand like

In short if you have flopped the mortal nuts you need to work out how best to extract money from the other players. eg against calling stations you just lols bets 3 streets, if they are more aggro and likely to bluff I would be checking at least one street to them.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The nuts are the best. You can't lose. If you get it all, even better.

Slow play... aggressive play - depends.

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like check/raise.If opponent checks overbet.

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to get as much chips as possible from the rest of the players in the pot. :D

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check the flop. 1/2 the pot on the turn or 3x a bet. Pot on river is what I would do

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I try to do many times is wait to see if I bet the villain, or go betting little by little, to add chips to the boat and get the biggest possible redito hand

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on my opponent I will likely check the flop and hope to trap. If it’s a manic or someone I think will reraise I may throw a small lead bet but nothing too big to chase my opponent off. If there are no flop bets I vary my strategy. Against good players I show weakness by checking again on the turn. This often induces a bet that I will call and hope they blast the river on me so I can pounce. If there’s very little action I’m forced to do my own bidding and bet the river a 3/4 pot to pot size amount bet.

Mikica1122

Mikica1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check i let him to see one more card and he is mine after that

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I normally raise 2 to 3 times the big blind to promote more players to put their chips in and increase the pot size.

T

ty taylor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I would rather slow play in a tournament than a cash game. Although sometimes slow playing can lose your value. You never know which two cards another player has so betting when you know you have the best hand is always a good play, Even if the other player or players fold it is still a good play. I never advise to check in a spot like that because it may open up hands that need a runner runner to out draw your hand.