What to do, Bet or Check?

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a situation that comes up often and I am not sure what is the best way to proceed.Let's say you have 2 big cards in the range JQ to AK os or some connectors and you open the pot with 3BB.
You get 1 or 2 callers and the flop comes up dry and with no draws.
If you are first to act, what should you do?
1: Bet some amount? How much ?
2: Check?
What about if you are not the first to act but it is checked to you?
What about if you bet and get at least 1 caller?

What do the experts recomend?

THbc19

THbc19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually bet low even if there is no card that forms a pair. If the pair leaves, I'll bet higher. Always trying to show the opponent that he should go only if he has a good hand.

MaxMarauder

MaxMarauder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd bet 50 % of the Pot. Less seems weak. Have noticed that some players will follow you to the river but then fold if you bet strong before the river card is shown.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a very situational hand in my opinion. You need to know your opponents on what you're going to do.

Are the callers stations or tighter players? What hands have you seen them go to showdown with? Do they like to set hunt? Do they like playing smaller pots with suited connectors? Is there any straight draw there? And what is your image - are you a LAG, a TAG, or more passive?

If you have a tighter image than a bet could buy you the pot, but if you're against calling stations then I'd consider a check because a bluff is less likely to work.

Regardless you need to analyze the situation and act accordingly - make a plan for who you're against and know how to play against those styles to know what your flop and turn play will be!

Ninja Jyraia

Ninja Jyraia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet 50% of the pot.Just to see the limpers reaction.If someone call then you have a hard decision to do: a heavy bet to force him to fold.

Last edited:
N

notahead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
such situational thing how much your stack is in pot do we really want to bloat a pot out of position where we can't pot control so i would say this is very player dependant what is your image at the table etc some times better to lose small pot then punt off a bigger one especially at lower stakes in multi way pot where some 1 is likely to have hit a part of most flops whether that is drw set etc i mean even say we turn king or ace then barrel turn out position get flatted now this feels bad gonna have to go bet bet turn river then when raised on either street we have to think their is super high chance that opponents will have us beat so try not to decide this as every hand situation your stack size opponent stack size and table image will all come into play to determine what we should do exactly