What are ALL possible actions to consider preflop?

scorcher2003

scorcher2003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm putting my entire poker strategy on paper and would like to know if people could list everything they consider when making a move "AFTER" an opponents showing aggression. Basically what all do you consider before you say to yourself "ok it's safe to move forward." This is limited to PREFLOP ONLY ... Thanks in Advance!

M

MatthewNye406

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I pay attention to how many flops the aggressor sees and how many pre-flop raises they do & that sort of thing. testing raise-fold capability can be done here if the player is the type to see action on every hand

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
raise reraise=3bet, 4bet 5bet 6bet 7bet...etc all in?

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) Position

Is the aggressive villain positionally aware? If he is, then from where did he open? If he opens out of the #1 hole, he's going to be stronger than if he opened from a middle position, the hijack or cutoff. I'd be less likely to play him if he opens early than if he opens late.

2) Player Tendencies

If I don't know much about him, I'll give him a default range, and play presuming a usual opening range. Of course, that can be misleading as even the nittiest player could be on a card heater that makes him seem more aggro than he really is. If I know him to be a nit, then I'll stay out of his way unless I'm at the top of his range, depending on how nitty.

If I know he's opening very narrow up front, I'll call with any pocket pair, any ( A,x ) or ( K,x ). If I flop a small pair, I'll keep calling as long as an ace or king doesn't roll off. Nits tend to get stubborn when they open with a Big Slick and whiff, as they play so very few hands; they can always talk themselves into barrelling when they whiff.

I'll usually 3! the nit and expect to take the pot down without a fight. If he's a known aggrotard, I'll call and let him barrel off most of his stack. In that case, you don't want to take him out of the lead.

If the vill has a typical opening range, not too narrow or too wide, I just might 3!, take him out of the lead to set up a play on the flop or turn, depending on how the flop is, and whether it hit what he's likely playing pre. This is a good way to play known FoFs, or "one and done" players who will follow up with a c-bet, but who won't double and triple barrel.

3) Table Image

This applies if they are aware, then it becomes a matter on my table image, and what I think they think about that image. If I've been winning a lot of pots lately, then I can loosen up. If I made a big Hero call recently, especially if they're unaware of the underlying logic/thought process, your more superstitious-minded vills can convince themselves I have some preternatural ability to either read minds and/or know the future.

It also works the other way too. If I've been running card dead, haven't played a hand in several orbits, I might take advantage of my "nitty" image and open from the #1 hole with ATC. I just might steal the blinds with nothing, especially if the other players have been passive and "foldie". It's especially good to bang it with something like ( 7,2-off ) flop ( K, 7, 2 ) and take down a Big Slick on what he thought was a safe flop for TPTK. That'll keep 'em guessing for awhile.

Of course, you can fuggedaboudit if they're playing "group solitaire", not paying any attention. If they're playing with their gizmos, watching that Big Game on the overhead monitors, they probably aren't aware that it's been four orbits since your last hand.

4) Bet Sizing Tells

Do they have any?

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what has been going on the last few hands, has he taken a bad beat or is he pressing because he is stuck. If so, he wont be playing his best.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
another great online tell is when a reg. who always keeps his stack topped doesnt top up after a bad beat, they are struggling mentally when you see that. They are giving up in someway.

xTTTx

xTTTx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you need to look on your hand, if you play the cards that go on straight, you need to build it, if not go then pass from the initial need to think what hands you take the pot if your opponent's hand will be weaker than it is good, if you play with pair it may kare fall, but basically a set or a full house, but if your opponent collects a hand stronger than yours, you have to understand when it will collect, if not collected it silnёyshy hand it will kolirovat or just throw down, mostly I stick to the game sorry for the English