What advice can you give to new players?

R

richardpro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
learn the cheap way. house games, fake online chips, free rolls, low stakes. also you dont have to lose money to learn. you can always fold fold fold, if your not sure what to do, just fold. and evaluate hands and scenarios that way. instead of gambling wait for good hands in good positions.

B

Buwwows

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would suggest developing a solid preflop game. Small mistakes preflop often multiply over subsequent streets. The more inexperienced you are, the narrower your range should be

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No risk, no gain.

But u must control what u lose. :)

M

mike1113

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch poker youtube, poker twitch, poker on tv, just watch poker and learn from people that are better than you! I definitely second the person above that said play fake money games, play on pokerstars play money, play on wsop iphone App, etc

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

watch poker videos, read poker courses, learn to play basic poker the ABCs of the game such as: starting hands, brodways hands, medium and small pairs, how to play them according to your position, range of hands from UTG from early positions what type of hands must be played from that position.

you have to analyze what is your style of play example:
tight aggressive
loose aggressive
tight passive
loose passive

You must define your style of player, I recommend that you play a little tight aggressive to start, this style of player creates a discipline in your game.

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Advice?

To get better your gonna have to get used to loosing a lot of money. All the while, keep studying. Watch the greats on YouTube videos for motivation......that and movies associated with poker. Also, once Covid clears try to make a name for yourself in the live circuits as well. Don't wait like I did. You might find your better live than online. Have fun and try to stay emotionally disconnected with the loss of money.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Study and play games within your budget.

T_Dawg

T_Dawg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study peoples faces, mannerisms and body language. The more you know about the people you are playing against, the safer your chips are.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play as much as you can, be a sponge..

Starting off, the best way to begin is by actually playing, seriously. Best to start with free-rolls, no pain to lose free money. But if well-played, you can make a tiny amount of money. If you play a lot of free-rolls, play them seriously: pay attention to what winners did, and what you did, when you won.
Watch a lot of youtube on poker, read up on strategy, tactics.
Only when you are comfortable, play low entry sit and goes, and MTT. Stay away from the cash games. It is better to enter a tourney, know you max loss is entry fee.

Others pointed out: Patience--success, like ppremium cards only come occasionally, it's better to be patient and wait for them.
Players here are good: Patience alwo means, let a hand develop; don't shove and expect a win because you were the hand favorite pre-flop.

T_Dawg

T_Dawg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It helps to be a math wizard. I've been a mathematician all my life. I tutored kids in math when I was in first grade. In high school I worked in fast food I could tell someone the total amount of their order before I rang it up. I've been an accountant for 25 years, so math is my forté.

It's not that hard to learn what a good bet is. This website gave me new pointers on how to calculate odds on the fly. Many times there are more than one card that can help you win. Just count how many cards you need, multiply by 2.2 to get a post flop %age. Risk/reward is the key.

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I advise new players to play free freerolls and gain experience. Also, the initial capital will appear absolutely free.

aslanvanacha

aslanvanacha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Strong motivated, be very patient. The wining Day Will Come but you dont have to wait for it. You must work every Day dont wait easy money. Poker is very dynamic game every year it becomes more and more difficult, a lot of People wants to win but only someone wants to study and to grow. Without growing you Will not be successful.

Ram41k

Ram41k

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

First, play for the Play Chips like the Play Chips on Pokerstars:cool:

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would add a learning strategy that I have used. Depending on how often you like to play try to find a tournament that repeats every day on your favourite site. As you start playing try to pick up on which players are building their stacks and, over time, see if certain ones stand out as consistently in the top bracket. You can search the player list and bring up their table while you are playing. When they get in a hand pay attention and even bring up the hand afterwards to understand what they did.

You can also watch without playing if you wish to watch more than one player. While you won't see their folded hands you will notice how often they fold and how that relates to position and stack sizes. What adds to the fun is when one of them arrives at your table. Now you get to see how your game is progressing.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
That he be patient, that he is not tilted, that he study and succeed!

DaaBee

DaaBee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I advise new players to play free freerolls and gain experience. Also, the initial capital will appear absolutely free.
Welll said Qrise.... Use freeroll to gain XP. Register with at least 2 sites, to max your time.
I play on 888 and PS, where you can play 10-15 freeroll each day

Here are the 888 Daily Freerolls (UK time)

13:00 $200 Daily Freeroll
15:30 $200 Daily Freeroll

22:00 $200 Daily Freeroll
23:10 $50 Level 5+ Freeroll - Poker club
00:00 $200 Daily Freeroll
01:10 $100 Level 10+ Freeroll - Poker club
02:00 $200 Daily Freeroll
03:30 $200 Daily Freeroll

More Daily Freeroll at PS where you will find cardschat freeroll

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it was bankroll management. Won a few top three spots in a MTT format. Made a withdraw and left what I thought was a enough of a bankroll. Never heard of BRM until I got here. From there on it was a tool that got used.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recommend that they must learn and have patience. In this game the discipline and patience and really relevant. Other important aspect is the bankroll management. You must study about this! Good luck to all :)

Sorry for my english :D

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn, learn and learn again. Let's start with basic theory.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Enjoy the game and develop your skills to be a shark instead of a fish.
(I’m speaking against myself now, but I want everyone to be a professional good player.) :D

C

carborun

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Have fun and start with freerolls, play money, or a micro limit. Maybe check out some live tournament or cash games on youtube, they are very entertaining and you can learn a lot from watching.

If you want some gold entertainment I recommend searching for Phil Hellmuth, Tony G, or Will Kassouf. There's plenty more of course, they are just three that come to my mind with a good personality to watch while learning the basics.

9 high like a boss will NOT work online a lot by the way. Just a FYI. :D

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
study and put into practice and start with cheaper games to get more notion!:rolleyes:

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Come back to the thread and read the advice.