Ways to Improve Your Poker Skills

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Members are always asking for tips on how to improve their game. This week let's review some of the things you can do to improve your poker skills.

Read this strategy article:

Studying Poker

Which of these things do you try to spend some time doing each week? Is there anything we have missed as a way to improve your game?

My 2 cents:

When I was playing online poker seriously I was playing mostly tournaments and sng's. I bought some poker books - really liked Collin Moshman's Sit n Go Strategy and Harrington on Holdem.

I also hired a coach for a while. I found that all of these things really helped me with tournaments - but I never became a winning sng player.

One of my favorites things to do was to discuss my hands with other poker players.

What has been effective for you?

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best way to study is, if we exlude the obvious - get the basic concepts, constantly asking youself what am I doing here and how do I get better? If not every than most ahnds you should review and paly around is software that you can have/afford. This will give you an amazing edge over every1, After all poker is always eveolving and things that might have been true even 2 years ago are something that is not applicable in todays reallity. 2nd would be finding people online(forums) and tryng to create a study group. I mean 2 minds is better than 1, right?

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me was useful only to play many hands and analyze some of them. To watch videos maybe too.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the theory and practice in poker are important, you also have to learn from the losses, but I think that every poker player has to read a poker book in dinde teach you many strategies in all forms of poker, the best book book I have read and I always eat it is harrintong, it is the bible of poker and for me the best poker book that exists in the market, it is also very good to be a member of poker forums such as CardsChat where you can share your experiences and you can give advice to more experienced players, sometimes the ego of the players does not allow them to ask advice

N

Nick301274

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I work on myself, in terms of the ability to wait for a good hand

I have several rules

in the beginning to wait for a good hand, and if you see the flop is 100% sure, go all in and take the chips from 3-4 players

then do not take chances, wait half an hour waiting for a good hand, put 1 BB maximum and on flop if flush, straight go all in
and so several times
when I go to the prize, I'm already taking risks with good hand go all in

sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use all methods giving in this article excluding coaching. My favorite are watching video guides on twitch and discussions with my friends. All paragraphs are really necessary for profitable players and each of them can only improve the game. For new players the best way to learn poker game is reading of poker books, because the information there is more systematic and the main goal on first stage is to learn ABC. Thanks for the good and useful article!

n1nja

n1nja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to learn how to play well, you need to practice a lot. Play online, live at the tables, with friends, with ordinary people. And simultaneously study the technique of playing from different sources. pokerstars has a good poker school.

A

alextepi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really appreciate the precious information. Thank you very much.

this morning I've lost my bankroll 45$. two hands ,two times same crap I've seen all over again was happening this morning too .two pairs got bitten on the river by a flush .both times the opposite players were handing to stupid cards no suite , no pair, no nothing but on the river:mad: they got the flush they maybe ........................

how can this happen? I mean how to play like this. If I folded maybe I would have win against those...............

good luck at tables!!!

escurimX

escurimX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a tournament for once!
So I stay focused from start to finish!

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to improve the quality of their game After the session it is desirable to do an analysis, parse your hands, in order to exclude mistakes in the future! It is better to disassemble your game with several people who understand in poker, I think this analysis will improve the game.

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To say honestly I rarely watch other players, I have my own game (probably because I'm so successful), but in the future I will have to do something about it, I do well on major tournaments until I'm in the top 500 and I'm done here.
the last time in big tournaments when the remaining 500 players were I was 27, and I dropped 140, probably some fear got inside and I'm throwing strong hands, just to overcome it and be the result.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here and at me so happens, the Closer to prizes begins any excitement, a jinx

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think watching training videos, understanding the icm of the structure, and reviewing hands has helped me progress.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now the biggest problem is not finding a book about poker, but finding a really useful book, because now there are a lot of books, the quality of which is very low. It is worth spending a little time to try and find exactly the book that is relevant at the moment.
Worse than lack of information can only be incorrect information

B

BigRivers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe keeping your stomach full and getting proper rest is crucial to success. Also I think finding weaker tournaments with a lot of recreational players is great for practicing and building confidence.

Z

ZARGA123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only book I have read was the Old Book of Doyle Poker System otherwise I'm reading many articles online and watching many players on twitch and discussing hands on Discord.

I have found that the most you stick to the rules the better you get! I think each player must have his Golden rules and if he applies basic strategy and adjusts a little according to the table where he plays he will surely win and get rewarded. Poker is Rules(Stick to rules)+Math(play profiteable hands)+Psycology (Stay focused and patient) .I don't have my Golden rules written but I will write them down on my PC screen.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is a good article usefull for orientation to the basic. I have not read books, or watched videos systematically, but I read cardschat arcticles and poker site's guides. I have focused enough to maths part! One of the most important is experience and even more important what knowledge remains to the player from the experience.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
in my case, the way that I have worked to study is watching videos .. and after each game session I take a few minutes to analyze the hands played ... mainly in those that I lost ... this has helped me to improve my game of poker..!

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
The most important is missing. Good player must first learn mindset poker techniques. For me poker without mindset is nothing! When you can`t read and learn mindset, he can easily become a gambler. It's not just only winning. Planning time game is also important. A good player can`t neglect himself and his family! When player not learn mindset, he often becomes addicted to the poker game, by what destroy his soul!

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I read books I try to delve into each section like you do with textbooks in school. It matters to ask yourself a lot of questions about how a particular topic some author requests you do can be a part of your game and when it should not. Also, analyzing poker hands are a must.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
In the current environment very few are going to become and succeed as poker players. It is just so hard to succeed now especially online unless you devote all your time to it.I think most members of the site like myself consider themselves recreational players. While not being dismissive of our skill, this is more the amount of time we put in. While not wanting to generalize and speaking from personal experience, I have learnt a great deal from watching twitch streams.
For those looking to take their game to the next level training sites can be a great source.

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a good article, and useful for those who start playing poker.
For me, the most effective was watching other players on twitch.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a good article, and useful for those who start playing poker.
For me, the most effective was watching other players on twitch.

That is definitely a great way to learn!

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think the most important thing is to be open and honest with yourself. Going back and really finding where you may have misplayed a hand. Sure, you may have gotten donked on by someone, but was there something you did that allowed him to make that call. Did you really play it correctly, or did you misplay the hand and could have prevented something from happening.

Also need to review hands you won as well. Did you truly get the full value of each hand or are you leaving money on the table.

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, useful information for all poker players. Personally, I learn from my mistakes well, and I try to learn all the opponents at the table, their styles of play. my advice to all and have patience.