Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm playing only online at microstakes.
Most of my losses come from LAGs who owns sets.
Is there some way to detect them ? Or it's just "so is life".

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well you dont. That is why, flopping a set is so awesome. You just make sure, you dont pay off to much, which does mean, that sometimes you have to fold top pair or even an overpair in 100BB cash game poker. Baluga Theorem still apply at least to microstakes:

“You should strongly re-evaluate the strength of one-pair hands in the face of a raise on the turn.”

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK, if villain will bet an off-pair, dry board like mad, I'll consider two possibilities:
1) he is crazy
2) he have a set

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you have a villain Lag try to trap him, or playing aggressive preflop is a good offense against them. I usually like to find some of these on the tables.. GL!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain Reads

Thank U 4 Posting.

This is where you have to do home work.

The more you think about hand ranges and situational poker the more you will be able to narrow villain ranges.

Step 1
How does your player pool play JJ-22 preflop? Limp? Early Limp/ Late limp? Call 3 bets? 4 Bets? Fold 55-22- reraise 55-22- always call JJ-66 -never raise?

Step 2
How does your player pool play sets on the flop? Is it different from 2 pair? Draws? TPTK?
What boards change how they play a set? Does your player pool play sets more aggressively than draws and 2 pairs and TPTK. Do they slow play more?

Step 3
How often do sets make big bets on the turn vs other hands? In your player pool?

Step 4
How often is your player pool raising turn or big betting turn or leading turn and then shoving or big betting river as a bluff vs a set?

Hope this helps
:):)

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only way I have found to detect a flopped set is by betting a pot size bet on the flop when there is a rainbow board. If it gets called and there are no viable draws it has been a reliable indicator of a set.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If a usually aggressive player is calling your bet on the flop, be careful. Like was mentioned, either a draw or a set, if they have top pair, they generally raise you.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
In no limit holdem sets are the hardest thing to read.

To get away from them when you have a strong hand some other scare card to show up like an overcard or draw coming in that will scare you away.

Other way is if you are deep and opponent is tight or solid.

Sets are hard to make. You should not be getting away from when a LAG person has one because more often than not they do not have one.

Most times I do not put people on sets it has to be a strange play by a player. Like if someone cbets always all of a sudden checking.

I have found that if you put people on sets regularly you will miss out on value on the other times that they do not have a set. So by not people on sets I will loose when they have one but I would regain this amount and more in the long run from the value I get when they do not have sets.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A set is the most dangerous hand to meet the villain, so you can't just play with what you have in hand.
Do you have to pay attention to how the villain is playing, is he being aggressive? Is he a passive player? The position he is in, how much was bet preflop ...
So, in my opinion, sometimes it's worth holding a few hands to analyze how people play.
A check / raise / made by the villain may indicate that the villain is setting a trap, evaluate well and try to hold on.
Looking closely at the board, the chances of you taking a bad one are high against a set, especially if you're a player who doesn't usually fold high pair or two pair.
I'd rather be safe, and think, "That's not good, but at least there will be the next pot."
Good luck against the sets.

35marlin

35marlin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience

Patience is what you need and when you have the hand bet bet bet

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Getting a set at flop don't happen all the time and if someone gets one it is often undetected. While most of the time we were mainly focused on top cards, we don't notice small card which appear at flop. Set made with small pairs like 33, 44 or 55 are often difficult to notice.
The only way you can know the presence of a set is through his pre-flop behavior. With small pair he won't raise too high. He will just call trying to see the flop cheaply. But once he enters the pot and if his small pair hit the set then you can see the dramatic changes in his play. To me, that is a fair indication of a set.

As a remedy, it is often suggested that you must enter the game with good enough raise so that you may keep away small pairs from entering.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it wasnt a set, it could be any number of hands against having top pair or even top two pair (if the board pairs, trouble for bottom two pair)
Give the hands up against most bets or see it until the turn or river, lose some money/chips wait for a better hand.
If it doesnt feel right its probably wrong and you got to make a fold.

:)

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I too have problems detecting whether the villan has a set because when you have top pair top kicker its hard to layoff especially there are a lot of loose aggressive players.

I guess one tip and tell is villian has set is if the villian is not backing down on any bet the hero makes or a huge raise from the villian to act like its a bluff but really does have a hand.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi :ciao:
when i start play a friend give advice, he say...
no go broke with one pair

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Experience comes with years. The more you practice and study the opponents, disassemble the played hands, the less you will step on the same rake.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A flopped set is one of the hardest things to put an opponent on. If your opponent is playing super aggressive and is not usually that aggressive, that could be a sign of a flopped set. I play my sets fast usually with check raises or straight donk bets and do not slow down generally on any following street. If your opponent flops a set against you and you hold a strong hand to pay him off I pretty much just consider myself unlucky at that point, there is no real good tells that your opponent has flopped a set except crazy aggression on all streets. Good luck in your future hands against sets, you'll definitely need it there tricky to spot.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on villain. On board texture. On stakes. Ir you have been raised on blank turn most likely its a set.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends on board texture,stakes etc .Difficult to detect but most players will simply call an open with 22-99 some players will 3 bet 10s plus or simply flat 10s and jacks. If someone who flatted an open is suddenly showing aggression on a dry board this can be an indicator of a set.

Bet sizing can also be a big tell if someone is value betting usually anywhere between 35 and 60% pot is there sizing but bigger bets can indicate a more polorised range of straights sets etc especially on turns and rivers

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In zoom cash games when I was playing I would always be afraid of sets , always expected the foe to have one , lol . In micro tournaments most of the times I see limpers chasing sets , or people that didn't 3 bet them enough with their good hand so as to make it more difficult for the limpers or mini-raisers to continue , paying them at the end . For sure it's hard to detect whether the opponent has indeed a set , but I wouldn't pay a lot in a tournament a possible set played very aggressively by an opponent , especially a nit , with less than two pairs , or TPTK but not all/most of the stack when deep . :)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
To spot a set, it helps to understand how to play a set well and then reverse engineer it so to speak.

If the flop is wet, there is little you can do to mitigate a potential mugging

But if the board is relatively dry and the villain, a steady player, makes a solid raise (as you should with a flopped set to build a serious pot) then avoid getting dragged into such a hand too far.

If they play a set passively, then you still risk getting mugged on the river, but they will not have extracted maximum value from you. Some consolation at least they did not ding you over three streets.

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
set is a pretty good hand. Like ppl said it is more hidden than a straight or flush unless it is a pair on the board.
Anyway the only way I think to see that your villain has a good hand is by watching bets. A good player will often fold on river even if villain slow played a good hand. That being said is your villain betting all the time and a very loose player. Then maybe they are bluffing. If you are really having trouble with this then value bet more and bluff less and play tighter.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You really cant tell if your opponent has a set, unless you call him all the way. LOL

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the microstakes it's really hard to fold to a predicted set.

if you have AA and flop Comes 2 5 T rainbow and someone goes crazy and shoves for 50+bb, you simply can't fold because of a possible set. well at least I would not fold 95% of the time here.
V could have KK-JJ, AK AQ AT or even KT. People Play really bad so unless you have a very good read, you can't fold.

take the cooler like most People do