Very Low Fold equity in mid play 9 man $5 SnGo

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello All,

This is my first post so hope this all makes sense. I've just starting doing a lot of reading to improve and like to think I'm not too fishy, constantly analysing my game and adapting, plus I am up, just!

Playing $5, 9man SnG Turbo/Reg - I've been playing quite aggressively, as per the 30 day course on here (which I learned so much from....so maybe I am very fishy!) - I've found that if there are 6 to 7 people left in the tournament and I shove with a reasonably tight range of hands then I get ridiculous calls far more regularly than I expect with beaten but not necessarily dominated hands - many Ax hands. Should I adjust my strategy to shove tighter (due to lack of fold equity) or should I accept that I'll lose some but win more often and more chips and then when I have the bigger chip stack, trust my skills to make it pay 1st (or 2nd...….or 3rd).

Once there are 4 or 5 left, it tightens up (due to tournament pressure I guess.)

Realise there are a lot of nuances due to the low stakes and the fast format ie its too quick and hence so much luck and hence so many calls, etc.but thought it might be a good first post,

Cheers
T'ley

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question! If your opponents are calling wider than they should, then you should shove tighter as an exploitive adjustment and to gain equity from their collisions. Just make sure they're actually calling too wide since sometimes it's easy to remember instances where a player calls with a surprising hand and we tend to think less about calls that seem more standard.

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply Collin,

Loved the course although it is so good I really hope nobody I play poker with finds it!

Playing this wknd in the weekly home game, people have now stopped calling my all-ins so wide as they know (have even said at the table “he always has a hand”) so now I am starting to adjust my range again and it is also allowing me to use some of the stealing strategies more effectively.

Folding in Poker