Variance: Per hand or in streaks?

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a discussion topic. I know most math-based poker players don't believe in luck, but they do believe in variance. My topic for discussion is, do you believe variance changes hand to hand, or do you believe there are streaks of variance. For instance, having high or low variance days or even weeks.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hand-by-hand, 'pockets' or 'streaks' of variance are created... :)

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand by hand. The streaks are caused by the fact that we get tilted when variance hit us for one or two big hands and our game becomes bad but we do not realize it and continue to play tilted.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's a discussion topic. I know most math-based poker players don't believe in luck, but they do believe in variance. My topic for discussion is, do you believe variance changes hand to hand, or do you believe there are streaks of variance. For instance, having high or low variance days or even weeks.

There is both - short term variance and long term variance.

Good luck !

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think of variance in that way. Seems to last, and then goes away. Get suck out on but then can come from behind on a hand. Always look at it a two way street. Sometimes I'm on the right side of it, other times I'm not. Just go forward, not looking back.

V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

everything is explained by elementary mathematics and there’s nothing even to prove to anyone here, because they will always be dissatisfied with failures in poker (by the way, like me)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never known a poker player who didn't believe in luck. :)

swimbles

swimbles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is both short-term variance and long-term variance.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There's no reazon to a math-based poker player unbelieves about variance because it's a natural part of a mathematical bankroll course. I use to say that beyond the variance for the power of the random deals, we suffer the variance of our mindset too, so either when the deck may help us, we are able to auto destroy ourselves.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Both. Think of it a bit like the stock market. There are ups and downs every day (hand to hand) and then there are recessions (streaks), but in the long term it all evens out.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands