I think value betting is suually smarter:
1. if you see a sacry turn/river yiou have a chanseto walk away from the hand
2. the players that are willing to go allin are usually the ones that are going to call 3 barrels any way, or shove themselves.
3. if you shove you are bluffing
in a way since good hands that could pay you off might fold, and moster are going to call this way or the other.
4 . if you are playing against "fit or fold" player he will fold to a 3bb bet this way or the other if he misses the flop
5. 1/3-1/2 pot bets are good enogh to make your op pot commited to call you big bet on the river, or even a shove.
6. t\you should mind al so how bog is the pot : to BB, there i no reason to be slow playing set+ to get 7bb of value at the end
7. what vinnie said =) but only on the river since point#5 your op is most likely pot commited with ~50%+ of his stack in the pot