Understanding Pot Odds and Implied Odds: What's the difference?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To be profitable in poker there are some key concepts that you must consider when playing. One of which is incorporating Pot odds and Implied Odds. While they both have something to do with the pot in the middle of the table, they are distinctly different (while also intertwined).

Pot Odds deals with figuring out what amount of can you bet or call in relation to the size of the pot and still be profitable.

Implied Odds estimates how much money you can win from your bet if you hit one of your outs.

Understanding the concept of pot odds and implied odds is crucial for a successful poker player. It keeps you from making plays that don't pay off, and keeps you profitable in the long run.

We've broken it all down for you in our guide on Pot Odds & Implied Odds

Take a look and tell us what you think! Do you use these concepts in your game?

You might also look at our companion thread on this topic: Poker Math: Understanding Expected Value in Online Poker

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Highlighting important data.

I read your guide, it has solid information and good warnings. I noticed in your post you used the BOLD feature effectively.

I was wondering if it might be beneficial to new poker learners to use something to highlight the key dangers to incorrectly applying Implied Odds in the guide.

The points are there and are excellent, they just did not jump off the page for me.

Hope this helps

:):)

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a solid article. Of course, reverse implied odds come into play as well. Players tend to think they are sure to win their hand if they hit their straight or flush. If the board pairs and/or there is a possibility of a better flush/straight, then you need to take that into consideration as well.

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
correctly calculate the chances of the Bank, it is a real science. currently, I'm not good at it yet, but I try to learn. as for the chances of a flush, I can say that reaches all, but not me, especially at the rate of all in. that's why I'm dropping flash draws more often now. the hit percentage is extremely low.

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i've tried to sit through lectures on these and it bores the crap out of me , i just call if i think i have the best hand or it's cheap to chase the draw

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Odds are very important in the game and are always in my thoughts when I play. I consider them before I make a choise. Of course we must consider odds in the long run also and keep some files of our games.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
These concepts are more applicable to Cash games than Tournaments.

Yes I use these concepts as a guide to decision making but I do not follow them exactly and all the time. You have to make calls that is not in your favor in tourneys to win pots, you also need to make mathematically incorrect folds sometimes to preserve your stack and survive in tournaments. If you make mathematically correct plays all the time you will not be successful.

This is because Poker is a game of incomplete information and the mathematics need correct assumptions to be right. Also players can be unpredictable which is nice way of saying there are crazy players out there. Finally many players purposely play against the math in order to gain an advantage, example if I guess you have a draw I will simply not give you a good price to chase.

Last edited:
Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent article, it is a basic knowledge that every poker player should know to have the possibility of winning money in tournaments tables and cash tables, generally the best players use that calculation, it is essential to apply it so that the risks of losing money are less, Well, that does not guarantee that you will win but it will help you reduce the risk of losing a lot of money in hands that are not worth it

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good article, it is very important to have all these concepts on the tables, many times we forget and you can lose a lot of money at the cash tables, or many chips at the tournament tables.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
TY foк the article, as always educationl ;)
Now it's time try and implement this n to the game.... hopefully!
I think 1 of the biggest problems with math for a lot of people is that they dont really belive that 35% and 38% really make that much difference, but then .... =)

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Good article!

Pot odds, implied odds and expected value always go together. And in my opinion, these concepts apply more to cash games. But if we are talking about beginner inexperienced players, they don't need to go very deep into complex concepts. I would say the basic pot odds for the draws and hiting sets is a good foundation.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These concepts are more applicable to Cash games than Tournaments.

Excellent point. In a cash game, you will generally make any +EV (in chip value) move you can get. In tournaments, it's a completely different story. You have to take survival and payout structure into consideration. The chips you win are worth less than the chips you lose. So, even though you may be getting great odds to call an all-in with your flush draw, there is still a 65% chance that you will be knocked out of the tournament. So, this probably isn't the best move to make if you are still far away from the bubble.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Understanding Pot Odds and Implied Odds: What's the difference?

Reading through the Links I've found:

Pot Odds, paying a fraction to win a larger sum...

Where pot odds take into consideration the money that's in the pot right now, implied odds is an estimation on how much money you CAN win from the bet if you hit one of your outs...

Great Threads and Will Help me Greatly

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pot odds, implied odds, are a necessity in cash games when you usually have a bit more time for a decision. As I play mostly online it wouldn't apply for me as time is of the essence, I do believe it is a must to have the knowledge and some basics of the math tho

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot and Implied Odds

Interesting topic. I have read and reread these topics. There is so much to this game. The pot vs implied odds on a flush draw warranting a non-profitable situation, really raised some interesting scenarios. Thank you for the article.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting article, pot odds and implied odds, I am being educated :)
I try to take it all in but it is strong stuff.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very comprehensive article. I especially agree that we poker players tend to overestimate out implied odds. Unless you are playing against a maniac or you have a solid read on your opponent's hand, "fold" is always an option for them that we have to consider. On the other hand, a concealed set or boat has indeed a lot of potential against a monster pair or double pair.
Last night, I flopped 2 pair, one was Aces, and of course the only other player in the hand flopped a set. I doubled him up...

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many players say they use them but I think they get a bit of attention with this ... I use them a lot, but when you have played poker for more than 5 years, you do not think so much about the odds, only the flush and the stairs open I think it's important to take into account the odds .. maybe in the aces on the flop. I think you have to play without thinking too much about things but try to play a fluid and a bit free poker.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can also admit that I rarely think about the pot odds and rarely about the implied odds .. these concepts if I take them into account but in some hands analysis .. thinking about improving my base but when playing a tournament, no I'm thinking so much about this ... I think that putting limits on my rank or my moves in a tournament would be a mistake.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Normal article, I would even say standard, informative examples available and clear, what should be the article about the basics of poker. The only thing I would like to see duck is a couple of tests at the end for self-examination, assimilated material or not.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a beginner its fairly easy now to calculate pot odds or at least toget a quick estimate of them at a glance. But implied odds are a difficult stretch for me especially during the hand.
I also liked the suggestion from Syltan about a test or quizz at the end to see if you really grasp the concept.

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have to calculate my implied odds for a draw or setmining I am using the odds of completing the draw minus the pot odds times the investment.

For example:

I am holding 22 and I have to call $5 into a $10 pot. My pot odds are 2:1
I know the odds to hit a set on the flop is 7.5:1.
So 7.5-2=5.5,
5.5 X 5 = 27.5

Implied odds are $27.5.

This is very simple and with a little bit of practice you can do this in your head.

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah. These concept are very important to survive and for long runs at the tournament. You need have to follow the implied odds to not pay, as a really calling station, and loose many more chips than you should win.
It is really a cost benefit option that you have to do when you call or fold with fewer puts than the money you can afford with the hand.
Otherwise, wgen you are the agressor and have the current best hand, you too have to pay attebtion at the pot odds and implied odds to not put too many chips when you want a oponent call and to not put fewer chips when you want a fold.
After learning this, i do not blame myself to fold a flush/oesd draw when is too expesnive to see the next card.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's important to think well about the size of your bet, calculating which pot odds you are offering to your opponent. However, this is just the mathematical analysis, other factors also influence the pay or give up the hand, such as the opponent's character, stack size, tournament situation, among others.

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it useless but if it's fine for you - ok. I don't understand it. It considers how much to invest in pot but refuses to consider how much you already invested. In Heads Up it's always 50% (investments). Or to get 33% (investments) you need 2 callers and 1 should fold before show down. It's impossible to count. And logic: "I can loose, let's lose some more" doesn't impress me. Sorry.

Last edited:
Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator