Understanding Outs

A

Archie Dos Santos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Say As 5h Qd 5c are on the board. My 2 hole cards are 6s and Qs. Would that mean by outs total would be 5? Thanks, Archie

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think opponent has an ace, you would have 2 outs. You would have to catch one of the 2 queens left in the deck.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You want us to guess the opponent's cards? I don't know what they are, this situation seems to be unreal.

Having 5 outs means that only 5 cards on the river would help you win. Your opponent is having more chances now but you can beat him if you catch those 5 cards.

Last edited:

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a look to another example. Let's say your opponent have QhJd and you have Ad5c. The board is 3s6s5hJh. If the river comes 5d, 5s, As, Ah, or Ac you will win. Any other card, and you will lose.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My question is why are you playing Q6s? If it was to catch a flush, that ship has already sailed. If it was to make top pair, that ship has probably already sailed as well. Q6 is rarely going to win you much, ESPECIALLY if you're playing it out of position. The other guy with Q5 already has you crushed.

A

Archie Dos Santos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My question is why are you playing Q6s? If it was to catch a flush, that ship has already sailed. If it was to make top pair, that ship has probably already sailed as well. Q6 is rarely going to win you much, ESPECIALLY if you're playing it out of position. The other guy with Q5 already has you crushed.
I wouldn't play Q6s. It was just an example to see if I understand outs. Looks like I need to restudy it. I watched this introductory video about it.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It also depends on the cards of your opponent because with which you add outs you can also win but you measure them according to the cards that give you the strongest hand on the table
:icon_boun

FroZeeN89

FroZeeN89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To indicate you start the study by position groups, then the part of odds and outs you will understand better.

E

eyeluvpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your outs are the number of cards you have to make a hand. Example you are on a flush draw you have 9 outs. The 9 remaining cards of your suit not in your hand or on the board. Open ended straight draw 8 outs, the 4 cards on either side to make the straight. In your example you may have the best hand with the queens and not need any outs. However more than likely your opponent has an Ace so you would have two outs, the other 2 queens. Once you learn the outs it helps with the percentage of you winning the hand and your pot odds. Always learning!!