Under the Gun

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your range under the gun?
Do you small raise broadway cards out of position?

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's the worst poker position and should only play on the strongest cards like AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AQ ... that's my opinion! Everything else should be avoided, but in the earlier stage of the tournament, there may be weaker cards, and in the later stages, I need to refer to the cards I have listed.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would agree. I am only playing very strong hands and I am always entering with a raise.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any face cards I raise but any other hand I fold because a tight range in early position.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only play with premium hands UTG

I would normally fold any small pocket pairs, and limp with mediocre pairs UTG

ReoRekop

ReoRekop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in zoom microlimits only aa kk ak aks

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All about the villains.

Thank you for posting.

What you raise UTG is always about the villains. If villains are not aggressive then you can open wider and even limp some hands. You need to be good at playing 3 streets of poker if you do this. You must also be good at player reads. Seldom bluff a calling station, often bluff a nit.

Most of the time we make the exact same raise with all our hands from UTG so as to not give away information. A thinking player will 3 bet you relentlessly if you change your raise size by hand strength and will play AA cracker hands vs all your 4x raises.

No thinking player, no aggression, no problem 4x AA limp KQ suited. When they attack your limps, then limp AA and reraise jam it to protect your limps.

Hope this helps

:):)

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you play Tournaments or cash 6 max or full ring? all make a differense to your ranges.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely a tighter range but be prepared to play well post flop. Most players don't fold to a flop C Bet so plan on firing a turn barrel.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the responses.
Surely a tight range is ideal.
I've been squeezing in limping at times (jack/10 suited, or small pair): creating a community pot of multiple limpers, weak raises, and at times creating fear with the perception of being sneaky for a re-raise. ( Not a common move, but just a trolling for mistakes from weaker players. Especially after showing a few strong hands at the table after showdown.)
Not sure what value this move has, but just curious as to how careful people play the position.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny:
Immediately, after my post I was dealt K's UTG.
I limped. Got x5 BB raiser, caller, and a 3 bet.
I pushed all in hoping to get only one caller; everyone called and I won.
Risky, but it was early in a rather insignificant tourney.

I hoped to then exploit perception, but was transferred to another table.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to use the middle map at this place. But in freerolls, I don't have a rule.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You are in early position so the range is lower qj and higher for me, also depends on how many players at the table.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get abused with qj UTG.
Any re-raise or contested pot without the kicker seems to be tragedy.
Late position is shopping with low pairs also.
I suppose it's all about playing the flop tight and managing the pot size if at all possible.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I fold almost everything because I am soooo bad at playing OOP.

I have a talent for losing big pots OOP for obvious reasons.

But, I am working on expanding my range from nothing to something.....lol - and making a standard opening raise with broadway cards. But trying to play it very carefully. And preflop - a 3-bet and a shove would tell me I am behind...lol

What is my plan? How many callers? Stack sizes? Am I going to c-bet no matter what? etc. etc.

If I am 3-bet then there is no way I am calling....I will either 4-betting or folding.

Good luck !

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold almost everything because I am soooo bad at playing OOP.

I have a talent for losing big pots OOP for obvious reasons.

But, I am working on expanding my range from nothing to something.....lol - and making a standard opening raise with broadway cards. But trying to play it very carefully. And preflop - a 3-bet and a shove would tell me I am behind...lol

What is my plan? How many callers? Stack sizes? Am I going to c-bet no matter what? etc. etc.

If I am 3-bet then there is no way I am calling....I will either 4-betting or folding.

Good luck !

Insightful thoughts, thanks for giving a full thought process.