Trying to build up a bankroll with $10 roll

J

janipt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously how would you go about building up a bankroll with this tiny initial roll?
I'm thinking about start playing $1 NL Hold'em 6 max Hyper-Turbo Knockout Tournaments. What are your opinions guys?

AMTF1988

AMTF1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to build it up from the bottom, I started with $10 a little while ago, lost it all trying different tournaments and sit and go's. I found double or nothing sit and go's are the most reliable for me, $1 buy in gets you a little less than $2, and they're quick. All long as you don't lose more than 2 in a row your bank roll will increase

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The key is winning,,,keep playing your freerolls un til $100,then you can drop them,GL:D

W

WhenSheSmiles

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously how would you go about building up a bankroll with this tiny initial roll?
I'm thinking about start playing $1 NL Hold'em 6 max Hyper-Turbo Knockout Tournaments. What are your opinions guys?

By KO tournaments I'm assuming you must be talking about MTTs ?
If so, 10BI is ridiculously low.
For MTTs, most agree that 100BI is necessary to handle the swings.
I would recommend you to play NL2 cash 9-max (5BI) as nitty as possible : only playing on the BTN (button) , CO (cutoff) , and HJ (hijack) (unless you get a premium hand or pocket pairs to set mine)..as well as only 20% of top hands to reduce the variance as much as possible.
But, even then, it's very likely things will not turn out with only 5 buyins.

Maybe your best bet is $1 SnGs, but you have to know how to play -- survive for ITM, know fold/shove hands, limit bluffs until mid/ late stages of the SnG, etc.

Good luck !

- WhenSheSmiles

Last edited:
BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOWER your buy-ins!
To be really serious about any bankroll building attempt, try sit n gos with buy-ins as low as 0.10 $, seriously! Do not try higher than 0.25 $. In this way you will be able to compete for some money in the longer run.
1 $ buy-ins are absolutely ridiculous for 10$ bankroll, irresponsible. If I were you, I would play 0.10 buy-in sit n gos - thats it! If you lose your current bankroll in something like 2 days - you have been warned! :)

N

nutsinyouri

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i would play a lot lower with only 10 buy ins.

almaihotz

almaihotz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u can watch karlencho challenge with 10$ to 1000$ on twich or youtube playing 1$ PKO tournaments .:cool:

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you trying this on pokerstars?

If you're trying to build a roll on pokerstars, my suggestion would be to read some sit n go's strategy and play the $0.25 45-man SnG. With a $10 roll, you have around 40 buy-in and 45-man is the gold mine to try to build up your roll. Just to help you get started, there's a guide on twoplustwo forum: Hardgeus guide 45-man turbo tournaments. Although it's for a turbo structure, but the same principle applies to the non-turbo (the difference in time level isn't that much, I suppose).

If you're trying it on other networks, the strategy of playing sit n go might not be optimal. In that case, keep playing freerolls until you hit a bankroll of $50 and go from there.

I myself, am trying to do a bankroll challenge of my own on Sportsbetting and BOL. If you want to follow my progress, here's the link: Getting rolled via Freeroll: $0 to $100

dominiq

dominiq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Playing Hyper-Turbo tournaments you will lose the money very quickly. On pokerstars there are $0,55 regular tournaments. I think it is the best option to start with so small amount of money.
Of course there also many freerolls where you can try to build up your bankroll.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to be really lucky unless you are on a site that allows 10c buyins as suggested by @Back Jesus. #Betonline (BOL) #Sportsbetting

Also, BOL/Sportsbetting have daily public freerolls from $10-$300 depending on time of day and that can help as well - my info is skewed from a US perspective since I can't play on many other sites...

P

pietpikel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry to be the dream crusher here...

What is the point ? To me this is just a waste of time and effort. In my opinion there is no way you have any scope to move or do anything.

Like player poker in a strait jacket.

With scared money (and a bankroll of $10 is scared in my opinion) you have no chance to win.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I believe our time is worth money. So, yes, I give myself permission to play any $1 tourney I'd like to play even if it is more than one or two percent of my bankroll. I figure, do I play a smaller tourney, that what you play 3 hours to win 25 cents, or do I risk playing with a $1 hoping to win a few bucks. I also consider it good to eventually play with real money, you are going to have to gain experience sometime, so no time like the present, toss that buck in there. We should be worth earning a buck an hour for our time.

kirkham69er

kirkham69er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is exactly it... thanks

Sorry to be the dream crusher here...

What is the point ? To me this is just a waste of time and effort. In my opinion there is no way you have any scope to move or do anything.

Like player poker in a strait jacket.

With scared money (and a bankroll of $10 is scared in my opinion) you have no chance to win.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to play poker for profit and build up a bankroll, you need to start with a more reasonable amount than just 10$. If you play 1$ SnGs with 10$ in the account, as OP talked about back in 2017, you are not playing with a bankroll. You are playing with a budget. You might get lucky and run it up to 20$ or 40$ on a heater, but more often than not you will end up losing it all and having to redeposit.

And if you find games cheap enough, that you can actually play them with a 10$ bankroll without a high risk of ruin, then it simply takes way to long to get to a 4 digit bankroll. And this should really be your first goal, because it will allow you to move out of the micros and into low stakes games, where you can begin to make some decent money.

A 100$ starting deposit is much more reasonable for people taking online poker and themselfes serious, and on PokerStars it will give you the chooise between playing the following games:

* 2NL cash
* 1$ 45 man SnG
* 1,5$ 6-9 man SnG

And then you simply go from there. Make a plan for, when you are going to move up to the next higher level. And even more importantly when you are going to move down again, if you start losing.

A

Akena

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing Hyper-Turbo tournaments you will lose the money very quickly. On Pokerstars there are $0,55 regular tournaments. I think it is the best option to start with so small amount of money.
Of course there also many freerolls where you can try to build up your bankroll.

Totally agree and on poker stars there are also tournaments for women only at 0.11 c. On ACR tournaments at 0.11c also for everyone. Donations if your bankroll is $ 10, don't play $ 1 tournaments, it's way too risky! I started last month on ACR with $ 20 and hit $ 35. Patience and small tournaments are required :p:D

And when I go to play Cash on NL2 tables, I come in with 0.80c and it is very rare that I have to rebuy, good way also to raise that bankeroll

H

hellboy3000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hard

Its very hard with 1 doller.

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would start playing small tournaments 0.10 cents or 0.25 sit n goes so you would have more chances because you could play more sit n goes than if you only had 10 times the chance a 1 dollar ... that would be a tip from me maybe to start small in order to have more possibilities

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What did you do to win the initial $10? That is what I would be concentrating on.
If you happen to get that $10 to $100, you will be playing poker forever. Just stick to $1.10 or less tourneys.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I absolutely believe it can be done but the odds are so stack against it happening. I dont think tournament would be the best way to go here but starting with cash. You are under rolled here as well.I would suggest work it up to $100.00 and then move to smaller MTT of $1.00 and SNG to build up the roll a bit more. Best of luck on this.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management