Trusting Your Gut

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Trusting your gut" is a very polarizing concept. Either people love it and do it every time they have a gut feeling, or people hate it because it violates solid poker principles. Either way everyone must admit that playing poker arouses numerous types of feelings.
However, if you are someone who wants to play by their gut feelings, here's a piece of advice and/or warning. You need to learn what your gut is trying to tell you. Can you tell the difference between a gut feeling that means you should fold vs. a gut feeling that means you should go all-in? They can be two distinct feelings, or they could be one feeling felt under two different circumstances. You need to be sure to know which is which.
Personally, my I've tried playing by gut feelings and found that they are only right when telling me to fold. Which, with my luck, is what I should usually be doing anyway. Whoops, I said the L word.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, any player goes through this, professional or recreational. These moments happen when we are feeling "paranormal". Example: you have your QQ pair and rose received 1 call, the bord is dry Axx, you bet on the flop and the player calls you. you do not think the player has that A, but this call may already be a 7 flop. You remember that he always pays on the flop and falls on the turn for another bet, the turn brings another A and you think; now I know he is more prone to have nothing. then you bet the player raises your bet and you think, it can not be that this player has something, and I can only go all-in or fold here, so I did not come here to give up. (I feel) that he has nothing, and goes all-in. then you get paid and the player shows your A7 the river does not change anything and you jump on the knife, just not seeing the obvious, and playing with the stomach.
These things are very common, but are more present in amateur players, although this can happen to anyone. The good news is that, over time, these silly moves will subside.

Last edited:
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I kinda feel like there is 2 different kinds of trusting your gut:
1. Your subconscious recognizes patterns and you learn, even without knowing- you then combine this with what you know about the villan, how the hand was played, your notes, huds stats, and how the population plays

2. When you just "feel like that guy is messing with me" or for no reason and ignoring how the hand was played you just think "there is no way he has a hand there"

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have found when I call allin on a gut feeling, I have been wrong around 90% of the time. There is no wrong folding on a gut feeling.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are finding reasons to call because of your "gut," you are likely a losing player. Good players find reasons to fold unless they have enough history to know villain is a serial bluffer.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I go with my gut when I got king high and my opponent bets 'cause he can't beat it. It's not the same as hitting a 19 in blackjack- never do that.