Is True Skill To Bet, or To Fold

PatValShark

PatValShark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I have most success knowing how and when to secure my bankroll by folding when not having good position or quality cards( not discounting aggression but evaluated appropriately).

S

scrappypower

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is some skill in poker trying to get players to fold preflop is skill then after the flop it get tricky

sidenotch

sidenotch

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
80%++ game of "CHANCE">>Total LUCK of what cards are dealt out to you in your hand, then the flop??>>PFFFTTT, you're delusional if you think "YOU'RE PLAYING WELL" when you get dealt GREAT CARDS all night long, compared to a guy who gets dealt crap cards?!>>>Good luck!

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to fold, ofc, when you have top pair or two pairs it's very hard to do sometimes, but you need to know when to do it and not chase a boat

S

some39thing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold if you don't have a good starting hand. Bet heavy if you are with a good hand

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best is to evaluate the situation and see where you are from an equity stand point and what your opponent can have and what bluffs are out there. If you have the equity and pot odds you might only need to be right 2 out of 5 times. If you are at all unsure of where you are, the best play is to fold.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, its harder to master the skill of folding when you think your beat especially when you have a good hand.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is really hard to fold good hands. Unimproved AA or KK is difficult to fold. Folding 2 pair or better is difficult to fold. We can look at our history and see how we did with these good, but not monster hands. So, in some ways, this is easy to analyze for ourselves, if we can look at how we did on dangerous boards and dangerous bets - did we ignore the signs or did we fall in the trap.

Betting on the other hand is tough to analyze, because we can never know if we were getting calls or folds. Generally, it is going to be higher EV if we bet, but this is sort of unknowable in specific situations against specific players. Again we can look at our history and see if we are getting more folds than we want, or getting more calls than we want.

In the end, folding and betting frequencies are important to keep balanced - we don't want to be predictable do we?

Good luck and God bless.

Folding in Poker