Trouble with starting hands

R

rover8813

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a complete beginner at poker, so I'm learning all the basics right from this website's poker strategy section.

I read the poker notation in the introduction, but the starting hands ranking chart gives me a little trouble: Where does AJs belong to? A8s+ or AJo+? :confused:

T

tatalarata

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id say it belongs in both :)

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a complete beginner at poker, so I'm learning all the basics right from this website's poker strategy section.

I read the poker notation in the introduction, but the starting hands ranking chart gives me a little trouble: Where does AJs belong to? A8s+ or AJo+? :confused:
aj of spades? would be worth more then ace 8 spades or aj offsuit.... ace 8 of spades cannot connect a str8 so you have wayyyy more options with aj of one suit

most important aspect of poker is to know your hands worth .... starting hands would be a guide but

more important
knowing your opponents range and play style betting style etc...
action to the point of your move
POSITION is next most important aspect
next you have the players behind your action that can raise reraise or shove etc...
next is the cards themselves and an aj on button suited is a lot better odds if your on button over being in your big blind especially regarding the previous action...

know your hands play some freerolls watch and learn take notes .... find your playing style.....freerolls are great allowing you to learn and maybe even get some free money as you learn:)

knowing an opponents range and if they follow position and playing style is more important with position then the actual cards you play.... if you can get in freerolls and play hands that can get in cheaply no raises etc...? that will help a ton on understanding rankings of starting hands imo

gl

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are looking at starting hands charts the 's' refers to 'suited hands' and the 'o' to 'off-suit hands'.

So to answer your question AJs (AJ of the same suit) would belong in the A8s+ category as this includes A8s, A9s, A10s, AJs, AQs and AKs.

AJo+ would include AJo, AQo & AKo.

Good luck on your poker journey you will find plenty of resources on strategy here at CC to help you improve your game.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands