Tourney Strat

K

kciardiello

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When down to 5 bigs or so in a Tourney, how tight are you guys in ur shoving range? Are hands like J10 in there or are you trying for KJs +?

xFlyVOx

xFlyVOx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on my position. I'll only play J10 if I'm on the button.

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I start to all in around 80% hands when I get to 10 bb. I am big winner, solid till around 100€ buy-ins

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with 5 bbs, i'm getting it in with anything decent. that's going to include any broadway, any pair, any ace/king/queen/jack, suited connectors, suited 1-2 gappers, mid-high unsuited connectors. if it's folded to me in late position, i'm jamming atc 100% of the time. and if the more players in a hand, the more inclined i am to get it in pre with anything. even if there is a raise and multiple calls before me, i'm more than happy to get it in.

and the reason for playing so loosely is because it doesn't matter if i bust out. if there are 119 players before the money and i have 5 bbs, does it matter if i bust out in 199th or i last long enough to bust out in 99th place? they're exactly same. but, if i'm able to double up from 5 bbs to 10 bbs, i'm in a much better position than if i played tight and doubled up from 2 bbs to 4 bbs.

and with more players in the hand, the odds of me wining go down significantly but the risk is so worth the reward, which is why i'm not afraid to go for it. lets say i get into a 6-way pot with 5 bbs and will pick up a 30 bbs side pot if i win. lets also say that my preflop equity is only 10%. well, 9/10 times, i bust out. no big deal because i'm so far from any cash that it doesn't matter. but 1/10 times, i scoop up that 30 bb pot.

now, compare that to just folding and waiting a better spot. the odds of me running deep with 5 bbs isn't great at all and very rarely am i going to be able to build a 30+ bb stack with just 5 bbs, especially if im still playing tight. it's not impossible to still do well, but odds of the failure is much greater than success, especially if i still have a large field to get through.

near the money bubble, it's a bit different and it depends on your goal. if you like to cash first, then i completely understand tightening up. personally, i don't care about the bubble so i'm willing to take more high risk/high reward lines with a severe short stack.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pressure..

At few blinds left, look around the table, how many stacks are hanging by a thread, won't call? If many at table are barely there, semi-raise with anything, use pressure to your advantage..
At table with big stacks, you'd wait until QJ, pairs, ++, if they're gong to take you out, go out with your best.

Like a lot of posters said, it depends on the situation.

taylormaade

taylormaade

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When down to 5 bigs or so in a Tourney, how tight are you guys in ur shoving range? Are hands like J10 in there or are you trying for KJs +?

With 5BBs, tight is no longer an option. Of course J10 is in there. Of course I'm trying for KJs. I'm looking for the right spot and just about any suited face card hand or better.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes, in my perception, I would play with J9, JT, QT, JK depending on the position and if everyone before you has given up. !

H

hresurse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about hands like 67s, 78s, 9Ts ? Do you play them? and if you play, in which position ?

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5BB

Even if I say 5BB.

It depend on the various situations of the place.

I may play 78s.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At that low, yes 10J is definitely in there. Anything decent.

S

stephan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 5BBs, tight is no longer an option. Of course J10 is in there. Of course I'm trying for KJs. I'm looking for the right spot and just about any suited face card hand or better.

Yeah, I agree you can't really play tight with only 5 BBs. You have to take advantage of every decent hand you can get. :jd4::jd4:

S

Sebarios59

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the hand arrives clean, J10 is more than enough to go all in, in my view.