Tournament strategy

S

SantiRojo84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friends, I try to learn and perfect strategies when playing tournaments. How do you play them? be it freeroll or big tournaments. How do you start playing them and how do you think a final table?

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a fairly tight game early on as you get a lot of loose players early who call with just about anything. Unless I got close to nuts I try to keep pots small and play conservative. Towards the bubble i try to steal more especially against medium stacks that I have covered. After the bubble I’ll tighten again as you often get a lot of all in right after the money and unless you got a great hand, you’ll likely get beaten. Then it’s just stealing when you can which should be easy if you’re at same table and people noticed your tight image. When short 10 bb or so, I’m looking to double up.

Best of luck.

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play safer at the beginning and as the ante comes up I open the range of hands.
I watch the players at the beginning and create a solid image for them.

P

pokerdebit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trial and error
You are on your way
I hope it works out for you
Keep improving

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first study the opponents table
selection of a good hand and position
and of course, aggressive play and blind protection

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to start off most tournaments playing tight/aggressive and pretty much straight forward, betting it when I have it and checking or folding when I don't. While I'm establishing my tight/straight forward image, a lot of the looser players and agro-tards are going to be busting out. Once they start busting out, the games is going to start to settle down and I'm going to start opening my game up and widening my range. My straight forward, tight/aggressive image is going to allow me to get away with the occasional bluff. I'm also going to start check/raising and trapping. As the bubble nears, I'm going to start taking advantage of the players who are tying to take advantage of the short stacks. The action usually picks up immediately after the bubble bursts. Once it settles down again, I'm going to try to get a read on the table and play accordingly. If the table is playing passive, I'm going to be aggressive. If the table is aggressive, I'm going to set traps.

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the beginning of the tournament I always play very tight against loose players, I try to increase the stack, in the middle stage I start to suppress short stacks since they are not inclined to take risks so as not to lose the stack.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I like to mix it up a litle bit at the beginning of the tournamment especially if it's a freeroll or a micro, trying to play some marginal hands like 86o cause if i connect with the flop with two pairs or better i can double up quickally ...
If it's a major tournament i'm trying to keep pot control when deep stacked, playing tight and just wait for a spot to double up..
Also try to play the opposit style of the table if it's loose i play tight, if the table is tight i play loose

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT is a mix of different scenarios so you should be able to adapt your game. In the beginning where everybody is deep stack it resembles cash game. When blinds start coming at you you should react to that and change your game.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is too big a question to answer in one sentence. As a rule, at the beginning of the tournament you need to play tight. as the blinds grow, the game should be more aggressive. the position at the table is very important. you can learn to play tournaments all your life)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tournament strategy

The final stage when all the members will be short stack has to change a strategy certainly.

All except for that is so carefree.

I think even a big tournament doesn't also change with a micro tournament so much.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good strategy to start a tournament is to increase your hand range to increase your pot when the blinds are small, for the later stage of the tournament. Don't forget to analyze your opponent at the table, this is very important. Avoid all in, except (QQ, KK,AA) these hands cannot be thrown away. Take your time, play all in against your opponent, and keep an eye on the card on the table. I think it's important to remember that it's better to make a stupid fold than a stupid call! :) good luck ;)

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Plenty of Great Advice on this thread. As a newbie I really appreciate all that have contributed.

Thankyou

:shakehand