Tournament, hero over average stack

M

Mike D_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are in a tournament early-mid stage and you have a stack over-average, does your starting hands range get widener or more limited? Do u chase showdowns with top pair, 2 pairs, gutshots, open-ended straights when opponents are betting big? Or do u just wait a QQ,KK,AA to eat another big stack?

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nom, nom, nom. I'm not getting too wide with my hand range. I'm still going to sit back and wait and watch the table and see what situations and players I can take advantage of. I'm going to try to see some cheap flops with suited connectors, ace rag. If my stack is well above average then I'm opening more pots and 3-betting in position.

M

Mike D_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With this tactic you talking about I reached money in a freeroll and I got 6$. I need to practice to be patient, look for easy decisions and get away from hard decisions.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Having a big stack doesn't exempt you from pot odds and probabilities, if you start chasing draws regardless of the odds you're getting then you're going to go broke in the long run. You should always be asking yourself what your opponent could have that beats you, losing showdowns when you should have folded much earlier will make your stack shrink pretty fast.

What you can do is use position to your advantage and 3-bet more, even if you can't call a 4-bet you will start to create a table atmosphere where people will be afraid to bet because they don't want to get raised. You want to be the aggressor, and only follow along if you are getting good odds or have the stone cold nuts and are giving your opponents rope to hang themselves with.