Top 5 mistakes done by me (Huge fish)

N

nenkov407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

First of all I want to say that I used to be the biggest fish on pokerstars.com and probably some of you boosted up their bankrolls thanks to my frustration. This however is long gone and I am here to list all the mistakes that I've done and probably some of you are still doing them and to provide you with the solution.

Mistake #1. To suck so badly that you claim all poker sites are rigged and scam.

Well surprise, they are not, you just suck at poker. Maybe only few users will relate to this but I was one of these people so I am obliged to say it as one of my fish mistakes. With that mindset you will not earn shit from online poker. Sorry from any kind of poker.

Mistake #2. Not betting big when you have the hand.

This one sounds counter intuitive but today I earned 2 buy-ins doing the following thing. I raise preflop and getting paid by some fish. I flop a set. I didn't bet 50%, 60% or 75%, no, I bet 110%. The fish decided to call. On the river I bet the pot size or 100%, he called again, on the river I went all in, meanwhile on the board there are aces, kings, everything that could beat his pocket 88 but he was inlove with his hand for some reason.

Example number 2. I am on the big blind with J8o. I am check/fold. The Japanese guy on the small blind decides to limp. In Japan they eat a lot of fish and you know you are what you eat badum tss. That's why I am such a pussy. Such a joker ha-ha, so anyway on the flop there are 10Q7 he bets only 1 BB, so I just decided to call till the turn. The turn was a 9 so I made my straight and the fish bet 3bb. I reraised his bet 3 times and for some reason he called. On the river 2 of clubs came out bringing a third club on the board which a little bit scared me but I knew this guy wasn't playing on a draw which actually became a draw on the turn. Do you know, what I did, I went all-in and he snap called me on a two pair 92. He made his hand on the turn and river.

3 example of bad beat for my opponent is he is raising from early position AT, vs my KQ. Long story short he hits trips on the flop and slow plays them till the river where I made my straight. I went all-in, he called and deeply regretted.

Moral of the storry bet big and if everyone folds thank the God of poker because you maybe avoided a bad beat.

This lesson I learned from poker pro Nathan Williams aka blackrain79 just to not take all of the credit for myself :D

Mistake #3. Not knowing when to stop.

For this blackrain79 advises to have a hand or a timelimit but unfortunately this completely doesn't work for me. I've invented something that I find the best solution for decent progression of your bankroll and with this strategy you don't need really big bankroll to cover your losses but note that I play only zoom tables. Well sometimes out of boredome I switch to a cashtable but generally my strategy works in order to earn some money like on average 2 or 3 buy-ins per day.

So let's say that you apply everything that you know about poker, playing only 15-20% of all possible hands, playing well postflop and knowing where you are beaten and where you are winning. You play above average and of course double up two or three times. And suddenly a bigger stack than your appears and goes all-in against your pocket aces but he goes with KK and he hits quads on the flop. You played hour and a half to grow up a stack only to be sucked out by a bad beat. This thing can tilt you and lose all of your bankroll at once.

My solution to this is easy. Every day I play how many hands or minutes I want. But the following thing is the key to my success so far. I enter with one buy-in and start playing.

Case #1. I lose the whole stack because of bad beat or a mistake. This is the end for me today, I go on cardschat to start a new thread, I watch a movie, I read a book. Everything but playing. Best of course is studying.

Case #2. I lose 50% or more of my initial buy-in. In this case I use the left amount for an SNG. After the tournament it doesn't matter if I made it to the money or not, this is the last poker game for today.

Case #3. Well finally we made it to the nice part. The part where we are winning. So you play and eventually you hit a royal flush and a fish goes all-in, you call and for example earn the phenomenal $3,63 (the fish was a short stack + the rake for pokerstars) so you've got the point you double-upped and now here the poker professionals will advise to continue but you know what happens with the cracked aces vs the bigger stack, right? Yup, my advice is to cash out these $1,63 and start a new session with new $2.
And if you play well you will get to the next case.

Case #4. Well not every time you end up with a fish that calls your all-in bet with pure air, right? But eventually you have some decent winnings by getting to a showdown. For example you bet to your top pair top kicker and receive a call on every damn street only to see that the mofo has the same top pair but his kicker is for example 7. Anyway you win a decent pot for example let's say 60 cents. Here I apply the rule of the showdown if they saw my cards it is time to cash out. Ths is the break. Once they see your cards you are out and then go back with another $2.

So far using this strategy I make 4-6 dollars pure profit. Today I won 3 dollars and 20 cents in total and with the last buy-in i fell down to 50 cents which I invested in sng and ended up 6th out of 45 players and got 1,20 dolars which added to the 3,20 is 4,40 pure profit.

Mistake #4. Carring too much about the initial result.

Well, this is so me. I haven't been in case #1 or #2 but I know some day eventually Gods of poker will say, well nenkov407 F U, today we will crack your strategy. Usually when I start and see how I don't have good hands and every flop misses me I decide to make bluffs. Every damn continuation bet, every second barrel, everything is against me. The reason however is not that I don't know when to bluff but the idea that I saw my stack going from 2 to 1,40 in 5 hands. On the sixth playable hand I know that my opponent will bet his house, wife and children but he will not fold his pocket aces even if down there is the nutflush from suit that he doesn't have, but I still bluff. WHY? Because I see my damn stack. Simple solution just cover your stack with a piece of tape and see how your game will improve because you will be playing the pure game of poker not trying to win money. Win is just the prize for us having a good time at the table.

Mistake #5. Having negative thoughts

Boredome is the first negative thought. If you are playing and in 50 hands you didn't hit anything, the boredome kicks in. Then boredome leads to more of it, which eventually results into a bluff, which of course doesn't work and that leads to frustration, the frustration leads to fear of losing, and the fear of losing leads to a loss of course. The loss then leads to pure anger and hate towards the other players. Which is the equivalent of TILT. This will lead to facing AA with your KK and lose. Next time your AA will be cracked by QQ + Q on the flop and that wilk lead to mistake #1.

Every piece of advise here is my own observation and I don't claim to work for all of you, I just wanted to share it somewhere with people who will appreciate it. Also this thread pushes me a step closer to the daily freerolls which is a great source of income if you make it to the final table which is not so difficult at least once a week.

So good luck and be positive.

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post! Realising your mistakes is the first step towards improving as a player.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Very nice post my friend....I found it really encouraging and I'm sure everyone who reads it will too !!! Thank you very much

kara260588

kara260588

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

First of all I want to say that I used to be the biggest fish on Pokerstars.com and probably some of you boosted up their bankrolls thanks to my frustration. This however is long gone and I am here to list all the mistakes that I've done and probably some of you are still doing them and to provide you with the solution.

Mistake #1. To suck so badly that you claim all poker sites are rigged and scam.

Well surprise, they are not, you just suck at poker. Maybe only few users will relate to this but I was one of these people so I am obliged to say it as one of my fish mistakes. With that mindset you will not earn shit from online poker. Sorry from any kind of poker.

Mistake #2. Not betting big when you have the hand.

This one sounds counter intuitive but today I earned 2 buy-ins doing the following thing. I raise preflop and getting paid by some fish. I flop a set. I didn't bet 50%, 60% or 75%, no, I bet 110%. The fish decided to call. On the river I bet the pot size or 100%, he called again, on the river I went all in, meanwhile on the board there are aces, kings, everything that could beat his pocket 88 but he was inlove with his hand for some reason.

Example number 2. I am on the big blind with J8o. I am check/fold. The Japanese guy on the small blind decides to limp. In Japan they eat a lot of fish and you know you are what you eat badum tss. That's why I am such a pussy. Such a joker ha-ha, so anyway on the flop there are 10Q7 he bets only 1 BB, so I just decided to call till the turn. The turn was a 9 so I made my straight and the fish bet 3bb. I reraised his bet 3 times and for some reason he called. On the river 2 of clubs came out bringing a third club on the board which a little bit scared me but I knew this guy wasn't playing on a draw which actually became a draw on the turn. Do you know, what I did, I went all-in and he snap called me on a two pair 92. He made his hand on the turn and river.

3 example of bad beat for my opponent is he is raising from early position AT, vs my KQ. Long story short he hits trips on the flop and slow plays them till the river where I made my straight. I went all-in, he called and deeply regretted.

Moral of the storry bet big and if everyone folds thank the God of poker because you maybe avoided a bad beat.

This lesson I learned from poker pro Nathan Williams aka blackrain79 just to not take all of the credit for myself :D

Mistake #3. Not knowing when to stop.

For this blackrain79 advises to have a hand or a timelimit but unfortunately this completely doesn't work for me. I've invented something that I find the best solution for decent progression of your bankroll and with this strategy you don't need really big bankroll to cover your losses but note that I play only zoom tables. Well sometimes out of boredome I switch to a cashtable but generally my strategy works in order to earn some money like on average 2 or 3 buy-ins per day.

So let's say that you apply everything that you know about poker, playing only 15-20% of all possible hands, playing well postflop and knowing where you are beaten and where you are winning. You play above average and of course double up two or three times. And suddenly a bigger stack than your appears and goes all-in against your pocket aces but he goes with KK and he hits quads on the flop. You played hour and a half to grow up a stack only to be sucked out by a bad beat. This thing can tilt you and lose all of your bankroll at once.

My solution to this is easy. Every day I play how many hands or minutes I want. But the following thing is the key to my success so far. I enter with one buy-in and start playing.

Case #1. I lose the whole stack because of bad beat or a mistake. This is the end for me today, I go on cardschat to start a new thread, I watch a movie, I read a book. Everything but playing. Best of course is studying.

Case #2. I lose 50% or more of my initial buy-in. In this case I use the left amount for an SNG. After the tournament it doesn't matter if I made it to the money or not, this is the last poker game for today.

Case #3. Well finally we made it to the nice part. The part where we are winning. So you play and eventually you hit a royal flush and a fish goes all-in, you call and for example earn the phenomenal $3,63 (the fish was a short stack + the rake for pokerstars) so you've got the point you double-upped and now here the poker professionals will advise to continue but you know what happens with the cracked aces vs the bigger stack, right? Yup, my advice is to cash out these $1,63 and start a new session with new $2.
And if you play well you will get to the next case.

Case #4. Well not every time you end up with a fish that calls your all-in bet with pure air, right? But eventually you have some decent winnings by getting to a showdown. For example you bet to your top pair top kicker and receive a call on every damn street only to see that the mofo has the same top pair but his kicker is for example 7. Anyway you win a decent pot for example let's say 60 cents. Here I apply the rule of the showdown if they saw my cards it is time to cash out. Ths is the break. Once they see your cards you are out and then go back with another $2.

So far using this strategy I make 4-6 dollars pure profit. Today I won 3 dollars and 20 cents in total and with the last buy-in i fell down to 50 cents which I invested in sng and ended up 6th out of 45 players and got 1,20 dolars which added to the 3,20 is 4,40 pure profit.

Mistake #4. Carring too much about the initial result.

Well, this is so me. I haven't been in case #1 or #2 but I know some day eventually Gods of poker will say, well nenkov407 F U, today we will crack your strategy. Usually when I start and see how I don't have good hands and every flop misses me I decide to make bluffs. Every damn continuation bet, every second barrel, everything is against me. The reason however is not that I don't know when to bluff but the idea that I saw my stack going from 2 to 1,40 in 5 hands. On the sixth playable hand I know that my opponent will bet his house, wife and children but he will not fold his pocket aces even if down there is the nutflush from suit that he doesn't have, but I still bluff. WHY? Because I see my damn stack. Simple solution just cover your stack with a piece of tape and see how your game will improve because you will be playing the pure game of poker not trying to win money. Win is just the prize for us having a good time at the table.

Mistake #5. Having negative thoughts

Boredome is the first negative thought. If you are playing and in 50 hands you didn't hit anything, the boredome kicks in. Then boredome leads to more of it, which eventually results into a bluff, which of course doesn't work and that leads to frustration, the frustration leads to fear of losing, and the fear of losing leads to a loss of course. The loss then leads to pure anger and hate towards the other players. Which is the equivalent of TILT. This will lead to facing AA with your KK and lose. Next time your AA will be cracked by QQ + Q on the flop and that wilk lead to mistake #1.

Every piece of advise here is my own observation and I don't claim to work for all of you, I just wanted to share it somewhere with people who will appreciate it. Also this thread pushes me a step closer to the daily freerolls which is a great source of income if you make it to the final table which is not so difficult at least once a week.

So good luck and be positive.
Hey. No. 4 I really liked.And you think it can be used in MTT?I'll probably try it tomorrow. electrical tape will help with this:D:D:D

N

nenkov407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey. No. 4 I really liked.And you think it can be used in MTT?I'll probably try it tomorrow. electrical tape will help with this:D:D:D

Hello,

For the early stages, yes. But eventually you will need to push all-in or fold and you will need to know the count of your chips. :D

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never seen someone own up to their own mistakes so well...bravo for you!! I think the vast majority of online micro grinders have these issues and a large portion of them are to stubborn to admit them and put in the work to fix them. With this kind of positive attitude and some hard dedication, you are well on your way to becoming a better player for sure! Good luck in your journey

N

nenkov407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never seen someone own up to their own mistakes so well...bravo for you!! I think the vast majority of online micro grinders have these issues and a large portion of them are to stubborn to admit them and put in the work to fix them. With this kind of positive attitude and some hard dedication, you are well on your way to becoming a better player for sure! Good luck in your journey

Very nice post my friend....I found it really encouraging and I'm sure everyone who reads it will too !!! Thank you very much

Thank you both :)

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a really insightful post, I'm glad you decided to post this!
Just wanna say though felt more like you were commending yourself as the examples were mostly of you doing the right things vs the wrong things, as in you still gave great tips but you didn't say exactly what you messed up in, I hope you get what I'm trying to say lol as in most spots were theoretical.. but yeah you gave great advice that is applicable at every stake level.
I'll just add that if you want to do this at a professional level you have to realize that you have to implement a calmer state of mind either by meditation, or whatever you like & go for at least a 2-3 BI threshold before you quit for the day or you'll be trying to make up for it by playing extended sessions if you have a monthly bill etc
I also noticed that you're a little obsessed with Premium pair over Premium pair situations. It's easy to make those calls/guesses when you know your player (cash games) or similar situations in MTTs. It will be tough to fold PP every time & sometimes you just have to go with it PF. I could be picking bones, sorry you wrote a bit but those seem to stick out in my mind, but keep up this reflective process, sounds like you may benefit from keeping a poker diary!
Best of luck

kara260588

kara260588

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now I have begun to notice more and more error number 2 from your list. Having a good hand, I start limping, which turns into a tragedy for me by the river. And so far I can’t fix it, I think that when I start raising rates well, everyone folds. But it's not enough for me to collect, and again and again I start limping to collect a big pot.bank of course I collect big. But not for myself.��

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Nice thread Nenkov :top:

Looking forward to the CC freeroll battles soon :fight:

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great post. Mistake #3 is the worst I'm at. The problem is not that I don't know when to stop. I know when to stop, but I can't always find the force to do it :))) thank you for explaining your method of dealing with it, I find it very helpful. Maybe if I try your way, if I set specific rules I have to respect, then I'll just do that and avoid playing when I shouldn't be anymore. Best of luck!