Tips for Newbies

V

vbit20

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am just starting out in poker and would like to understand how the best of you have picked up your skills. I find it hard to remember all the winning combinations - do you have any tips?

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just with anything in life, time. The more you play the better understanding of the game you will inquire. A lot of the poker sites out there now offer a good amount of freerolls. Take advantage of this and learn and win some free cash :O) Good luck out there and keep grinding.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please play for more than 5 hours a day.

When continuing that, something should be seen.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would learn the basics at first to build a foundation and keep improving your game from there. Make sure you read on position, then learn what hands to play first in from those positions. The earlier you are to act the tighter your hand range needs to be.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
learning poker is a lot like learning math, it constantly builds on itself. When you learn one skill you will immediately use that skill while using the next skill. Focus on the basics and master those, then the rest will come more quickly because you have a much more solid foundation to build off of

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
learning poker is a lot like learning math, it constantly builds on itself. When you learn one skill you will immediately use that skill while using the next skill. Focus on the basics and master those, then the rest will come more quickly because you have a much more solid foundation to build off of

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My three biggest tips:

** Play only strong hands, particularly from early position

** Bet when you connect well the board and don't bluff much

** Make sure to study a lot and only play in soft low-stakes games for now

Good luck!

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read,watch video tutorials,and play free games...

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would recommend 3 things to start for a new player

1. - Learn about position and the appropriate starting hands. Force yourself to stick to a chart until you are able to recognize without looking and learn when its appropriate to deviate and why.

2 - Learn that its ok to fold, and usually is the right play.

3 - Learn when you do play, to play aggressively (bet and raise instead of calling)

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One more thing, while you are doing that, watch the other players and try to figure out why they are playing a hand they way they are. If you get to see a showdown, re-evaluate and see if it makes sense for how you originally assessed the hand.

This will be hard at first but you will get better as you practice this.

florestaftw

florestaftw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To learn that you only need many games. and build your game based on patience.:bike:

ranynight

ranynight

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My three biggest tips:

Good luck!
I am fully agree with this man

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way to memorize poker hands is to play poker for virtual money. The first time I myself played a lot for virtual money. Moreover, there are such tables on every site. You can also play freerolls and follow the actions of other players.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My three biggest tips:

Good luck!
Since "Newbies" are reading this I would hasten to add that Collin isn't suggesting that playing from "early position" is advocated, which is how I initially read the statement. What he's saying is NOT to play from early position UNLESS you have a really strong hand.

From my own perspective, playing from early position is fraught with risk UNLESS you connect with the board, as Collin adds in his 2nd point, and even then you have to be very careful. AK that hits an AQT board with 2 suited cards (a suit that you don't have) is not a "lock". If your bets get called you need to be even more careful. Unless you make a miracle premium hand on later streets you never really know where you stand. And if you do hit that miracle hand, smart players aren't usually going to pay you off.

Check out Collin's course: https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

It's worth adding that the as a "Newbie" you are the "soft" player that Collin recommends playing against in his 3rd point.

Last edited:
Einer777

Einer777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a lot of online material that you can use and look for a modality that you like and apply its strategies

Poker Tips