Time it takes to get good

JedKim

JedKim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just wondering how much time it would take for a person to get the skill needed to be considered "good"

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think when I first started playing poker, I reckon after 6 months I was getting to understand hand strengths and position on the table.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
These are some variables that affect how long it takes to become an average winning player:
Time you spend playing poker;
Time you spend reading strategies;
Where you get your strategy from;
Your brain capacity and so and so.

It's a wide range I would say from months to years.

As the old master said: "Poker takes five minutes to learn but a lifetime to master." - Mike Sexton

Last edited:
tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have to play several hundred hands a day for several months to improve your level of poker play. when you start you have to take the time to analyze the spots in which you have lost and especially to correct the errors you make so as not to repeat them. after several thousand hands. you will learn how to play each hand depending on the situation you find yourself in. after a certain playing time. you will acquire automatisms which will allow you to play for several hours without tiring your brain too much.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A long long long long long time!

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Define Good? To many factors to give an exact increment of time. Coaches, time devoted, and intellectual ability will ultimately determine this answer. If you use all the resources available on this site and spend many hours a week playing starting now I think in a couple months you will see improvement and you can continue to build on that progress. Sky is the limit

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I was just wondering how much time it would take for a person to get the skill needed to be considered "good"

That would all depend on the dedication of the person trying to become 'good".
It would also largely depend on your definition of good.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that professionalism in any field requires considerable effort and time. In my opinion, it takes at least 5-7 years to become a professional player. 5-7 years of daily hard work.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

for me, it's been taking over 3 years, for other minutes, I think this is related to something that cannot be explained, in my case there are some psychological aspects that are difficult to explain, I know that it's not just the knowledge of poker, ......;)

Einer777

Einer777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the time you spend learning and applying what you have learned well at the tables

L

luki_jakdo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the person... its different for everybody. Just start and you will reach your goals.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that you can learn and improve all your life. There is no limit to improve skills.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The length of time to "get good" is inversely proportional to the amount of effort put in. If you play one hour per week and don't study, you will never "get good".
You will need to *find your edge* and *identify your leaks*.
You will need to study as much away from the table as you spend at the table.
You will need to accumulate intel on your opponents (and this takes quite a long time to get a diverse and reliable data set.)
You'll need to identify the game which you have the greatest edge and perfect it.
This can be months to years to never.
You will require significant volume to get past the variance in order to be sure that your strats are working and that they will be effective in the long run.
Being the best in your monthly home game means very little in the context of *real* poker. (I am an example of that. I crush my friends because I have all the data and they just have a picture of who I am and how I play over the past 5 years. But in the past 6 months, I've started working, reading, playing more, taking notes and accumulating intel. So I win about 50% of our now weekly tourney's outright. But this means very little in the random games for me at present.
I'm still spending a bit more than I win. So basically, I'm still funding the global poker market. But there is a LOT of intel on this site. Both about the game, and about individuals. Every post made by a CC member is essentially giving away intel... This is a treasure trove. (But CC players are often growing and improving and so you cannot assume that the picture you build is entirely up to date.)

Best of luck.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

Here are some variables that affect the time it takes to become an average winning player:
time spent playing poker;
Time spent reading strategies;
Where you get your strategy from;
Your brain power and this and that.

It's a wide range, I would say, from months to years.

As the old master said: " Poker takes five minutes to learn, but a lifetime to master ." - Mike Sexton

I agree with the partner, he expresses it neat and easy to understand.
I add, it is better quality than quantity
Whatever you do, do it with passion

:qc4::qh4: Queen of Nature

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Depends on starting skills and health. Many people believe that health is not necessary for playing poker. In fact, this is an intellectual game. And the brain requires a lot of energy. You must eat well. But not too much otherwise you will have health problems.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I agree with the partner, he expresses it neat and easy to understand.
I add, it is better quality than quantity
Whatever you do, do it with passion

:qc4::qh4: Queen of Nature

That's right, partner!
Passion, at its best concept, is a tremendous leading force!

:as4::ah4: Aces and better:).

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

I think it takes at least 10,000 hours to become a professional. But in any case, your patience, discipline and your desire to become a successful professional play a big role in this. But our community offers our members a free course that will greatly speed up this process.
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on Cardschat's free online course, it takes 30 days to become a winning poker player, so that's it, only 30 days buddy, any more than that it's a lie.
Joking aside, it depends on each person, some people learn faster, some takes more time, but the most important thing is to keep improving. If you reach a certain "good" level, it's a matter of time other people will catch up and you'll no longer be considered "good". Also poker meta changes with time, so you have to keep studying to keep up with it and the rest of the competition.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When It plays for more than 5 hours a day by all means, and it can continue for one year every day, I think It's familiar even in 1 year.

But it's quite difficult to carry that out.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When u can distinguish risk and reward.

Poker in not a hand or a tournament, but a bankroll.

I mean "good " is enough bankroll for every day of poker.

florestaftw

florestaftw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to learn the basics of poker, just a couple of months.
To have a high level in poker, it takes a lot of hands played.:jd4::jd4:
and remember, don't all IN with JJ preflop hahaha

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I wonder of it a lot of times. When is the time a poker player considered good. Is it the way he plays? Or how much he wins?

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
well ... there is no definite time ... since it will depend on many factors such as the time you spend playing poker, the time you study, how seriously you take poker ... and then there is your ability from playing poker ... some get good at poker quickly while others are still trying ...!

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well ... there is no definite time ... since it will depend on many factors such as the time you spend playing poker, the time you study, how seriously you take poker ... and then there is your ability from playing poker ... some get good at poker quickly while others are still trying ...!

Well said.

There are many factors that determine a good player. Developing those skills will depend on the individual. Some people will work extremely hard to improve. Others will be more casual and slower paced. Countless hours of game play, and studying. Watching better players, streams, reading books, going over hand histories, learning from mistakes as well as hands that were executed with great skill. Success and the desire to gain it differs from one to another. One can become a good player if they work hard. How hard you work, and how often dictates the time frame one becomes a quality player. Poker is an easy game to learn but very difficult to master. Also, the game is always evolving so one can never stop learning / improving.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The faster you understand poker, the less time it will take...