Tight agressive!!!

NevermoreSF1

NevermoreSF1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight - aggressive opponents are a kind of typical good rivals. Books about poker, training videos, professional coaches promote the style of playing tight-aggressive, recommending it as a starting for beginners. Why? The thing is that their methods and style are time-tested and profitable. They prefer complex starting combinations in the game, but not as tight as tight-passive. Tightly aggressive will play their hand preflop and postflop in an aggressive manner and re-raise bets, eliminating weaker opponents.

Against them it is very difficult to play, as they are competent participants in the poker process and skillfully oriented in all aspects of the game. Unlike most, they use a bluff in the right places. Tightly aggressive does not need a strong poker hand to bet and be aggressive, because of this it's difficult to play against.

I will honestly say that I am a tight-passive player. It's hard for me to play against tight-aggressive players.;););)
Luzovye igroki obychno 91d7b 768x512

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, I still adopt the tight aggressive play the problem is that there too many loose players trying to break your hand hence very hard to win hands.

D

domdiego

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me tight aggressive is the best option to get even more result if it is half of the tournament forward, and I agree with our friend, just have to watch out for aggressive loosers, and playing in position is also necessary

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hqdefault.jpg

L

louaylouay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, that is the best way to play. The problem is that playing strictly tight/aggressive is pretty easily exploited. Say you folded to 85% of preflop raises. You'd be playing 15% of your hands when someone raises ahead of you, which is tight. If you are strictly aggressive in this situation, you will fold to 85% of preflop raises and 3bet 15% of them. You are aggressive with your good hands so you are, by definition, going to 3bet with your good hands.

If I saw those stats over enough hands, I would steal every single one of your blinds with a min raise and fold everytime you defended with a 3bet. IF I called the 3bet, I know exactly where your range is and wouldn't lose any more money if you had me dominated. For every 85 blinds I steal, I would lose my bet 15 times. If my bet is 2x BB (min raise, which will throw anyone super tight/aggressive into the muck), I am losing 30BB for every 85BB I am winning. If I am stealing from the SB and you are directly to my left, those odds are even better because I am winning more (my small blind is no longer my money) and risking less (my 2xBB bet is only 1.5xBB since my small blind is no longer my money). That is all without even looking at my cards.

Tight aggressive, as a basis, is the best starting strategy (between tight passive, loose passive, and loose aggressive) but there is so much more to playing poker than that.

If I am stealing all of your blinds, you know my range is way wider than yours. If I am button raising and you are the BB, every time the SB folds you should 3bet me. You can open up in that spot. Even if you are 3betting any 2 cards and I am raising any 2 cards, your fold equity puts you as a winner. If you start 3betting wider, lets say 25% and flat calling with your top, say, 40%, you beat me. If I am raising from the button, when it is folded to me, 100% of the time, then MY range, in that spot, is any 2 cards. If you play any 2 cards besides 72o (the worst possible hand) you are winning in the long run. That should change you from super tight aggressive to looser than you want to be.. but in that situation it is correct.

As a rule of thumb, tight aggressive is the best way to play. You have to be able to adjust, though.

Last edited:
Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, that is the best way to play. The problem is that playing strictly tight/aggressive is pretty easily exploited. Say you folded to 85% of preflop raises. You'd be playing 15% of your hands when someone raises ahead of you, which is tight. If you are strictly aggressive in this situation, you will fold to 85% of preflop raises and 3bet 15% of them. You are aggressive with your good hands so you are, by definition, going to 3bet with your good hands.

If I saw those stats over enough hands, I would steal every single one of your blinds with a min raise and fold everytime you defended with a 3bet. IF I called the 3bet, I know exactly where your range is and wouldn't lose any more money if you had me dominated. For every 85 blinds I steal, I would lose my bet 15 times. If my bet is 2x BB (min raise, which will throw anyone super tight/aggressive into the muck), I am losing 30BB for every 85BB I am winning. If I am stealing from the SB and you are directly to my left, those odds are even better because I am winning more (my small blind is no longer my money) and risking less (my 2xBB bet is only 1.5xBB since my small blind is no longer my money). That is all without even looking at my cards.

Tight aggressive, as a basis, is the best starting strategy (between tight passive, loose passive, and loose aggressive) but there is so much more to playing poker than that.

If I am stealing all of your blinds, you know my range is way wider than yours. If I am button raising and you are the BB, every time the SB folds you should 3bet me. You can open up in that spot. Even if you are 3betting any 2 cards and I am raising any 2 cards, your fold equity puts you as a winner. If you start 3betting wider, lets say 25% and flat calling with your top, say, 40%, you beat me. If I am raising from the button, when it is folded to me, 100% of the time, then MY range, in that spot, is any 2 cards. If you play any 2 cards besides 72o (the worst possible hand) you are winning in the long run. That should change you from super tight aggressive to looser than you want to be.. but in that situation it is correct.

As a rule of thumb, tight aggressive is the best way to play. You have to be able to adjust, though.
You forget that you don't play against a computer who just raise his good hands and fold the rest and You can just exploit it, i might fold first hands vs your steal but i will also notice your stealing and start 3-betting You with a much wider range than what you are expecting.

L

louaylouay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You forget that you don't play against a computer who just raise his good hands and fold the rest and You can just exploit it, i might fold first hands vs your steal but i will also notice your stealing and start 3-betting You with a much wider range than what you are expecting.

Well yeah that's kind of my point. You can't just say "I'm going to play tight aggressive." You have to be able to adjust to different conditions at the table. The same way I can't just say "I'm going to steal this guys blinds for the rest of the game." You have to know when to switch something up.

The only way to exploit someone in poker is to kind of expose yourself to exploition. There's a counter to every strategy.