Is there ever a good time to fold packet AA's in action game?

S

SatisfyMe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in a recent situation when 4 players went all in before me and I was last to act with packet AA's. Deep inside I was jumping for joy and snap call. My joy ended quickly as it turned out I had worst hand after the river card. All four players hit their hand. And then I started thinking to myself 4 all-ins are not good odds against packet AA's.

My question is, was I wrong to jump for joy and snap call or I should have folded given the odds?

Last edited:
playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is cash game clear call 4 to 1 money against ranges you dominate badly. If it early in an MTT you are less than 40% to win and it is a clear cut fold unless you some how justify rushing a MTT to win chips that in 2 to maybe 3 hours will be irrelevant. Do not rush a tournament it is suicidal. Who know where you might end up in a MTT.

If in a late stage of a MTT it is a clear call even if some yells to you " hey listen there is 4 other guys in this pot you are at best 10% edge." If in a final stage of a tournament like last 5 people it is a clear fold especially with jumps that won't change your life money but will impact your life money.

I remember a similar situation in the Million Dollar Sunday on ACR. Where I had 3 other people all in and used my time bank which I rarely do. They flipped over AKo AKo and 77. I won the hand and failed to cash.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cash: easy call.

MTTs: easy call in the early, mid, and pre-bubble late stages, of an MTT. We still have an equity edge and I'm not giving that up. On the money bubble, it's a call 99% of the time if min-cashing isn't significant. Again, not giving up and equity edge just so I can pick up a few buy-ins. 1% fold is if min-cashing for really big in relation to buy-in.

On the FT bubble, this is likely a fold if I have a significant stack in relation to the final players, especially if I'm facing an all-in from the larger stacks. I don't want to risk busting out pre FT if my stack will likely guarantee me a top 3-5 spot. However, I'm in a short stack, it's a pretty easy call to try and build a big FT stack.

At the FT, it's all ICM.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
With pocket AA there are the best odds preflop. The problem is that they are only odds. It does not mean they win! The board can show the most unpredictable hands! The time you can fold aces is when your maths study and observation, gives you a negative idea of the hand.

S

Streethawk71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What sort of MTT was it where 3 players got all-in before you?
Early or late in MTT?

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket Aces is a great hand when 1v1 because worst case scenario it's the highest possible over pair. On the other hand, Aces won't often improve to a full house or quads, so losing to straights and flushes happens sometimes, specially when facing multiple all ins. Well, if you don't catch another Ace you could even lose to random two pairs or lucky sets/trips. For that reason, it's risky to go all in against three or more players with any hand, even aces, so you have to consider other stuff like how deep you are, ICM, etc.

Vachina

Vachina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should never fold pocket aces preflop even if 9 players go all in. Never.

K

kubistok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With pocket AA there are the best odds preflop. The problem is that they are only odds. It does not mean they win! The board can show the most unpredictable hands! The time you can fold aces is when your maths study and observation, gives you a negative idea of the hand.

Sure, AA are the best... but only preflop ... cards on the table can change everything.

Top 10 Games Folding in Poker