Is There a Name for This Kind of Bet?

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I'll be playing and somone in early position will minbet and I will reraise it a bit to 4bb. It's not quite a 3 bet because I'm just adjusting the open raise size to make the pot bigger (and to discourage a multiway pot) and almost always get a call from the initial raiser. Other times I'll raise it as high as 5bb or 6bb to grow the pot without inducing a fold from the opener. Is there a specific name for this move? I've been trying to figure out what it's called but google keeps returning 3bet which is way too big of a reraise for what I'm refering to.

Maple_syrup

Maple_syrup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just called not knowing how to play poker loll

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A 3-bet is called not by the size of the bet, but by the number of bets in this round of bidding. The third increase, considering the set BB and the bet made by someone.
Thanks Andrew. I understand. But I know that a traditional 3 bet is usually 3x the open or more (sometimes less). What I'm talking about is more like re-adjusting the open raise size by a small amount. I know what I'm talking about is technically also a 3-bet, but I was wondering if there is a specific term for a 3 bet that is small like that, because it looks to achieve a slightly different goal than a typical large 3bet. Which can range from punishing a minbet opener, to reducing the number of callers of a minbet. And it's something I would do with a much wider range than 3 betting ranges.

It's just called not knowing how to play poker loll

Lol absolutely agree. But then the minbet made by the opener could also be called not knowing how to play poker [emoji1]. Let's not get all GTOey here, this is the kind of nonsense that sometimes happens at low stakes or home games and I'm simply finding ways to extract more value. Because I don't want to be playing a good hand for a tiny pot. Consider i call that minbet: 3 other players will decide to call and then postflop will just be a mess. As the alternative, consider I do a 3x 3bet, that conservative player who opened with a minbet will just fold. Just extracting max value based on reading a player [emoji39]

Last edited:
TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you always re-raise when someone raises?

B

berryryan2488

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't think of what that might be called but I do kind of see a potential for it at least throwing off your opponents perception as to what your range might be. Other than that I only foresee a lot of wasted money with bets like that. You're not going to intimidate most players by throwing out larger bets. A decent player will know that your bet sizes vary and capitalize on it. Just my opinion but I think it's a risky strategy and difficult to master. Poker is subjective however and if it works for you then keep on it. If it doesn't, adjust and learn from it.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't think of what that might be called but I do kind of see a potential for it at least throwing off your opponents perception as to what your range might be. Other than that I only foresee a lot of wasted money with bets like that. You're not going to intimidate most players by throwing out larger bets. A decent player will know that your bet sizes vary and capitalize on it. Just my opinion but I think it's a risky strategy and difficult to master. Poker is subjective however and if it works for you then keep on it. If it doesn't, adjust and learn from it.
Thanks. Just wanted to see if there was a formal term for this. Guess not lol. It's obviously not the best idea against solid players. But I thought it might be a handy tool to use (when I'm not holding the usual 3bet worthy hand) against a min-raiser who is likely to get called by the whole table at low stakes. Basically it would be kind of like treating the minraise as a limp.

That brings me to another question. Should 3 bet sizing always be relative to the open raise size? Ie: bet 3.5x the open. What if they open raise very small or very large for whatever reason?

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like you're either looking for callers as to seed the pot and make it worth playing for or you're looking to thin the field and isolate the raiser. The sizing probably isn't great at doing either.

I think you're considering it a version of a completion bet, because, in your view, the first raiser didn't bet the "proper" amount.

I'd advise picking a strategy and size accordingly. Let the baby raise stand and just over-call with those good multi-way holdings, and make a solid 4x/5x 3-bet with the hands that play well heads up. There's a reason those are the standard plays.

The min raiser should be exploitable, so look for opportunities to maximize their mistakes.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought it is still just in the category of first to raise.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it is still called three-betting (to a tiny size), as you have re-opened the betting for the early position raiser to now potentially re-raise (or four-bet).

Definitely not something I'd encourage continuing as you progress in stakes, early position raisers are supposed to have the strongest ranges as they have the most players behind them who can pick up a better hand.

You stand to lose extra when they do have a monster and re-raise and your small re-raise will offer them great odds to continue with whatever hand they do have, so you are never winning the pot pre-flop which is often a decent result in NLHE.

To answer your other question, there are standard raise and re-raise sizes for a reason (there is a lot of information out there on bet sizing). A min-raiser is offering great odds to the big blind and others at the table to outdraw what should be an above-average starting hand.

Think about the odds your raise is offering your opponent: If you raise smaller you are giving your opponent very good odds to continue... if you raise bigger you are risking more chips and can even price out the hands you are beating and you want to call you, thus you end up only playing against hands that have you beaten.

Good luck to you! :D

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Just to play "the devil's advocate" here.

If you have a linear 3-betting range and no calling range (always just 3-bet or fold - and no bluffs preflop) maybe always giving the opener odds to call with almost everything has some merit.

You play a bigger pot in position and with at least a decent hand then they call.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Dont you think the minbet was done to reduce the number of callers? I usually do this when I have AA. So if you raise my minbet I am going to do an all in to extract maximum value.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If villain is limping and just completing the blinds then it's an isolation raise, so the bb is 100 and villain completes the 100 and just calls. Other wise it's a 3bet even if villain makes it a min raise for 200 and you make it 600.

That brings me to another question. Should 3 bet sizing always be relative to the open raise size? Ie: bet 3.5x the open. What if they open raise very small or very large for whatever reason?

3.5x or 4x oop and 2.5x or 3x ip you is pretty standard but you want to make it slightly larger oop. To discourage villain calling wider with better odds and position on you. Three betting ranges ip and oop are important imo as your default value/bluffs should change. You want to play higher equity hands ip and more playable hands oop as a general rule for bluffs.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think whoever called it "completion bet" kind of described it best. It's basically like "I don't like your open raise size because it's to small, so I'm going to adjust it to make it the correct size". I think it could be useful in certain situations and non-high stakes games

A

aj88xa869

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's a "weak 3-bet" and that's really all it is

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think whoever called it "completion bet" kind of described it best. It's basically like "I don't like your open raise size because it's to small, so I'm going to adjust it to make it the correct size". I think it could be useful in certain situations and non-high stakes games

If you're oop, use this sizing with caution since you're potentialy making the pot more attractive and could face both lighter over calls from late position and disguised over calls from premium holdings.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is min 3-bet. And with this move, you will not knock any hand out of the range of the open-raiser on the preflop.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I'll be playing and somone in early position will minbet and I will reraise it a bit to 4bb. It's not quite a 3 bet because I'm just adjusting the open raise size to make the pot bigger (and to discourage a multiway pot) and almost always get a call from the initial raiser. Other times I'll raise it as high as 5bb or 6bb to grow the pot without inducing a fold from the opener. Is there a specific name for this move? I've been trying to figure out what it's called but google keeps returning 3bet which is way too big of a reraise for what I'm refering to.

technically the size doesn't matter so it's a raise/3bet

if you are only Talking About the size, it's a minibet/miniraise. In live poker I heard someone calling it a 'Gay raise' (2bb raise after limping).

I have read some concepts About how minibets/miniraise could work on a psychological Level (pre and post flop)