Terrible Player ??

leosam18

leosam18

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi just want to hear other players think....

Does it make a player terrible by not playing by the book ?? on taking a risk by playing a thrash hands like 72 etc.. vs. premium hands but winning the trash hand with flying colors...

Thanks and pls feel free to comment..

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's down to the player, I mean without the right skill and discipline your going to have a hard time making a profit with a rag range.

And again if your range is playing most hands then your going to need a different game strategy that requires alot of skill because your image will be too aggressive and your chip leaks will be higher

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does not make you bad for taking chances. That is why it is called gambling. I mean you do not want to call off all your stack with crap when you know you are behind with 7-2.. Scared money does not make money. It is with anything else in poker you have to pick your spots and hope that luck and skill are on your side for that hand.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they have money, they can afford to play how they want ,without reading a book or using the software

Poker is fun for them and time to relax..

TempoShaman

TempoShaman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
imo it makes you better. you have a style unlike most others :)

F

floweryhead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you turn this on its head and instead of learning "how" to play by the book but use the book as a means to exploitation. I have this thing about TAGs... I love em... they're so easy to beat as they do play by the book. There's nothing wrong in TAG playing by itself... it's a winning strategy...but... if everybody except me played by the book... I'd be winning as I'd know how you're all playing

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you turn this on its head and instead of learning "how" to play by the book but use the book as a means to exploitation. I have this thing about TAGs... I love em... they're so easy to beat as they do play by the book. There's nothing wrong in TAG playing by itself... it's a winning strategy...but... if everybody except me played by the book... I'd be winning as I'd know how you're all playing

This is partly true but not as easily exploitable as you might think.

If you are targeting the tags at the table instead of the loose passives then you wont be particularly profitable.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Does it make a player terrible by not playing by the book ?? on taking a risk by playing a thrash hands like 72 etc.. vs. premium hands but winning the trash hand with flying colors...

Definately NOT a terrible player, as has been said here that if we all played by the "Book", it would be a pretty obvious game, and I imagine that there would not be much money exchanging hands? Sometimes when you sit down at a table and see that one person has a large stack I'd like to bet he does not play it by the "book", the results are the proof in the pudding..............gl with your plays whatever they may be............:D:D:D

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think that if you're going to succeed at not playing by the book, you have to have a strategy and a specific reason for entering a pot with trash, not entering just because you're bored and want to gamble.

For example, if you notice that the two players on your right are massive rocks who only play premiums and it's folded to you on the button, of course you want to open with ATC here and it's easy to dump it if you see resistance because you know what you're up against. At the same time, if you raise with 72o and a rock calls or 3-bets you, and the flop comes AK2 rainbow and you can't let it go, then maybe you need to rethink not playing by the book.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online, no. Live, yes.

Online is for experience while live is for textbook.

rogerdelpk

rogerdelpk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that in tournaments most of all it's fairly good not to be a book player, it makes unreadable and unpredictable...!

itsmebobd

itsmebobd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If you sit down at the table and you cant spot the donkey, you're it. Bottom line is, there are many ways to play poker, and a lot of people like to play as a hobby. Nothing wrong with such :)

Raizz

Raizz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really believe its about the position and the type of players you are playing. Micro stakes you should pretty much play by the book imo because theirs a lot of weak players that you can capitalize on by just sticking to "the book" just open up your range in late position to keep them geussing. I mean you can mess with the rocks if you want to in micro stakes but I find it easier to take money from the loose aggresive types because they throw around their stacks like its intimidating to call a 2 dollar all in. (Micro stakes)They fire and fire and fire or check on 5th st because they all of a sudden get scared cause they dont have anything. lol. I'm no pro, I play my way and im constantly working on it, theres no perfect way to play poker, you say by the book... but who's book? study your hand history, how you play and try and see your own weakness, fill the holes in your game and develope your skill level before you start playing 7-2. lol

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is partly true but not as easily exploitable as you might think.

If you are targeting the tags at the table instead of the loose passives then you wont be particularly profitable.

I agree. There's a big difference between TAGs & TAGfish

TAGs will know how to properly play IN POSITION & not out of position. They know how to control the pot and be the aggressor. They are not going to get bullied around when they have a strong hand.

Loose passive are definitely what you want to play against. When they play 34 because it's SOOTED and they hit bottom two pair and they try to "slow play" 34 on a :3c4: :4d4: :kh4: flop and you have AK. They check the flop out of position, you bet. They call. :as4: appears on the turn. Now they want to shove and get stacked off to the bigger two pair. :3c4: :4d4: :kh4: :as4:

Don't be that guy/gal. If you're going to play trash or speculative hands... don't flat call out of position if you're not getting the right pot odds and it's heads up against a regular TAG winning player you're just asking to spew/bleed chips away. There's a time and place for playing ATC, but don't be that guy/gal with 50% VPIP.

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LoL I love them players :)

First off what ever you do, play or make moves, make sure you have a reason why your doing it. NEVER just just do it because you think you can out draw a player.

I wouldnt work on it unless you have good understanding of many things like :

Table dynamics and how to control them.

Know what players you want to play them hands against ( you dont just play them at will )

Know the type of players your against and if they can fold hands or if they will give you a double up.

Know what your Table image is too ( they may not fold or may not call depending on what you want )

Know what all you can do to take down the pot because just not hitting your hand doesnt mean you cant take down the pot.

Just a few things to think about if you choose try playing that way.

Just so you all Know I have never played that way and do not plan on it in the future :) Oh yea I had read up on it a few years ago :)

Have a good day and may the gamble be for the other player . Good skill at the table

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
prolly depends on what 'book' we're talkin' about here :rolleyes:

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Like all things Poker, it depends.

If you are telling us you have read the books, seen the videos and understand them, but you want to play unconventionally beating TAGs with surprise hands it might work. One has to be very good for this to work in the long run. Why? TAGs will adjust and some time when you drop the hammer with top 2, you are going to be shown trips.

leosam18

leosam18

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Like all things Poker, it depends.

If you are telling us you have read the books, seen the videos and understand them, but you want to play unconventionally beating TAGs with surprise hands it might work. One has to be very good for this to work in the long run. Why? TAGs will adjust and some time when you drop the hammer with top 2, you are going to be shown trips.

Thanks I think this is the comment that was really close to what's on my mind..
but the next thing is when they get beat then post the hand on some sites the comments of the players that you don't wanna hear or see..