Targeting specific players

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in a pub league, close to the end of the season there is one player i would prefer to bust out early so gets minimum points.
What's the best strategy?
1) every pot he plays get super aggressive?
2) advoid pots hes in and hope somebody else busts him?
3) play normal?
What do you think?

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should be talking about his strategy not yours
Then we can begin to formulate a plan

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I doubt you would be the only one who wants to limit this players points total. Others may do the work for you, so just try to get more points than this opponent.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My guess is you don't want him to win many points because he's already got a lot so he's a better than average player. Targeting a good player sounds like a recipe for trouble. I would play my normal game, but maybe be slightly more aggressive when in position against him.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think in the long run, it is better to be patient and wait for good cards. If you can avoid mistakes, you can win.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, you can't take someone out. The cards and position have to be right. In all likelihood you will find your own position endangered by others recognizing any plan you have and taking advantage of it. Play your game, good luck.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you are going to target a specific player - one who is a decent player to boot - then you will need a better game plan than multiple choice basics. How do they play? Is their style tight aggressive? Are they passive? Do they show any weaknesses? Are they afraid to get their stack all in? Tons and tons of questions need answered - the bottom line is can you exploit them? If the answer is yes, than take advantage of them when you can. Your main strategy should be to focus and play a solid game - protect and grow your stack and exploit those who do not want to go bust.
I like the old school Doyle Brunson type approach for lots of tight players who don't want to get it all in with marginal or only one pair hands- if you watch the man play heads up he has a nack for putting his opponents in terrible spots by shoving all in. Sure this will backfire once in a while, and we don't want to be doing this ALL the time or certainly not to certain opponents - especially those who may have our stack size covered - but aggression is certainly a factor most players do not respond very well to and this can be used to a great advantage by you.

Good luck.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello
I think targetting a player will only get you in trouble.

Its better you play a good game, strategize and beat him at his own game fair n square.

No worries.

Maybe you can take a few other players into confidence and play smart.

But dont keep your mind occupied with the thought process of beating him.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should play normally, and do not pay attention to how chips pass by you, abstract yourself.