Taking Notes On Players

B

Bayley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am wondering how often players update the notes on a specific player. I am one of the "new to online poker players" who is still unsure how to "read" players and what hand they might be holding. So, I am sure those of you who have played me understand that I am still learning and sometimes make a call and you wonder....WTHeck. Given time I know I will improve my game and not make those types of calls. My question is how often do the notes get updated? More importantly, how often should I be revising my notes on specific players so that I am updated on how they play?

eagle jim

eagle jim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I update my notes continually as I run across plays which stand out. For instance one of the guys I play against frequently always raises 5x the bb with AA, AK and KK, either 3 or 4 x bb with everything else (now that I've said that he will probably bet 5x with 2-7 against me from now on). So basically if someone shoves pf then shows hand....I note it or if a player slow plays Aces or Kings make a note. Just try to develop a shorthand so you can jot a quick note that may help you next time you are in a hand with a player narrow their range. The notes will help you over the long haul as you run across the same players. But the best suggestion is to get Holdem Manager or Poker Traker to help you filter some of the players....it has helped me tremendously.

Good luck!!

M

mozart5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i update each time i play with them or am watching a table they are at. The importance of making player notes while playing online should never be underestimated. Make them often and update often. good luck.

S

Sk8surf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya same i put in new stuff all the time i think one of the easyest ways for a new player too keep track of what kinds of hands or how players plays online if you cant read them well just watch hand types they are playing and position like : player1 for instance , i normally will put raises any kicker any position,it would look like RsAnyKckr_ AnyPos and so on like RsAnySuited-Kckr stuff like that helps me or SlowPlyr cause in most sites you dont ahve lot of room too put long notes

ganjvelo

ganjvelo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont see same players at tables much mostly different people cuz i play low stakes and freerolls, if i go up and play same guyz more i sure will take notes about them..

graziosi

graziosi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I post notes on players especially the ones that are very rude. I put a big Red splash beside their name along with other stuff.

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I post notes on people who are jerks at the table and how people play. It'll help me for the next time I play with them. It seems like you won't but you will.

GL on the felt.

H

HookTwister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What kind of short hand and what specifically do you note? I started to note any hands I see on the players that show. After awhile all I end up with are hand lists but no position plays and raise/call tendencies.

J

janef13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great idea

I think it's a greta idea but since I'm a novice I only put things in that I'm pretty sure about, especally if they are a donk....
Jane

rotocub

rotocub

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a greta idea but since I'm a novice I only put things in that I'm pretty sure about, especally if they are a donk....
Jane
Definitely the easiest thing to note. I like to add really wild players (the ones who are raising every hand regardless of what they have and usually going bust at some point during the session) to my "friends" list. I'll immediately search for them to see if they're somewhere in the cardroom when I log in.

T

TapYaOut33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once I get a good read on somebody I will post a note, usually after playing with them for awhile. I usually dont update it that often unless I see their play varying.

S

seagull178

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's really difficult for me to take the notes when every time I met totally different opponents. Unless you play with fixed players, it's really frustrating and meaningless, I think to take notes on random players in the big ocean.

wackoseal

wackoseal

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never ever done any notes about anyone, but i should start.:icon_thum

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play mainly Sng's and my notes have helped quite a bit. I can sit at a table and usually have 2-4 players marked with their style of play. If that style changes, the notes change.

peach68

peach68

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm writing and updating notes constantly while playing (keeps me occupied and I find it to be super helpful.... actually I couldn't 'not' do it).
I'll establish a playing style on them first off (ok... I'll often be checking them out via a 'sniffing' site) and then of course taking notes on hands I see them play to showdown, along with how they bet and what they bet. If I'm only on one table (or two) I'll run a stat. check on them also,... a TAG player with a +ROI I will respect more but will also know that they'll be capable of laying a hand down. 'Loose Calling Station'... NEVER semi-bluff any draws on the flop, bet gd. hands for value each street. Loose Passive players,... watch out for them TRAPPING. A LAG player, use a check-raise against them more often, bet and raise with good hands, etc.

I can go onto some tourneys now and I'd estimate that 1/3 of the field will have notes on them now and probably easily have notes on many thousands of players.
GL!!

Cowboy8112

Cowboy8112

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there are many if anyone at this forum that thinks there play is not better now than it was before they came here. Other players improve their game as well. Notes should be updated everytime you play against someone. We all change, and dont forget alot of people share thier screen name with members of thier family. a spouce, child or siblings can "sit in" for a player at any given time so your notes may not even be on the player you are now facing.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think there are many if anyone at this forum that thinks there play is not better now than it was before they came here. Other players improve their game as well. Notes should be updated everytime you play against someone. We all change, and dont forget alot of people share thier screen name with members of thier family. a spouce, child or siblings can "sit in" for a player at any given time so your notes may not even be on the player you are now facing.

This is a good point, cowboy. My girlfriend will "sit in" for me from time to time. I'm usually calling the plays, but she won't sit with me otherwise.:rolleyes: But, even if I'm calling the plays, her style is still a little different than mine. The speed of the calls is a lot different and that's one of the things I pay a lot of attention to.

B

Bayley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you KingCurtis on the link. When I did a search of taking notes it did not come up for some reason. I need to come up my own shorthand now.

A

Aldwin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What kind of 'friends list' do you mean "rotocub"? For example at poker stars... Can you tell me how to do this?

J

James0301

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I must say this ontop of my still nubish approach to the game is prob my number 1 problem with my approach to online poker. At the moment I am mostly playing free rolls myself. And I think meh whats the chance I will see this guy again.

But then I think about it the more consistantly I start to finish, and the better I continue to get. The more and more I will eventually start seeing the same people on more of a continual basis. If i started getting in the habit of taking notes now, I am very certain it will most def help my game in the long term.

M

Macbeth33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even better than notes is poker tracker. If you can afford it, it will give you stats that are usually much more important than generic notes such as: tight-aggressive, or raised k9s from early position.