Suited connectors hitting flush

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all. I notice watching poker and reading poker that a lot of players play suited connectors, especially in position and no big raises in front. I’m talking from about 78 to 10J.

My question is if you make your flush, how worried should you be that someone else has hit a higher flush with say Ax? It seems better to make a straight instead (providing no other flush possibilities out there).

And how about if you hit your flush on the flop. Are you afraid a fourth card will hit and someone only needs a high card to have you beat.

Suggestions? Thanks.

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really all depends on the situation and how the hand plays out. In position with suited connectors im usually raising fairly large to narrow it down to 2 handed. Just flat calling with the suited connectors you are asking for trouble. Hard to feel great about an 8 high flush when 5 people saw the flop.

K

Kassandra677

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play the connectors, of course to be the first you need to weed out a part of the players, well, and then look at the map)

H

Honest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have any fear holding a flush after the flop. Nor should you.

I will make my wager or fold depending on the tendencies of my opponent and my position.

By saying it is better to make a straight you simply mean it is better to have the nuts in any hand than to be put in a position where you are second guessing yourself.

A flush is still a stronger holding than a straight, but any winning holding is better than a losing one.

S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I low flush is somewhat scary, espesially in a multiway pot. In most cases it will be god, but if a big nit is very happy with his hand you are probably beat. This is player dependent of course. The problem with a flush is that it is very easy to spot ("everbody" is aware if there is 3 of the same suit on the table). The god thing about sc is that you in many cases will pick up enough equity to play aggressive post flop. This way you may take the pot down right away.

My 2 cents

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really all depends on the situation and how the hand plays out. In position with suited connectors im usually raising fairly large to narrow it down to 2 handed. Just flat calling with the suited connectors you are asking for trouble. Hard to feel great about an 8 high flush when 5 people saw the flop.

I agree. So in summary you feel real good about being the best hand.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I hit a flush on the flop with something like T9s, I'm usually betting it regardless of how many people are in the hand. The reason is that I really, REALLY do not want to see a 4th card of the same suit come out on the turn. If that happens, then my hand is losing to somebody holding just a single J/Q/K/A of that suit. I might occasionally check and let the turn card come out if I am heads up, but that's pretty rare. This is yet another reason why those low-mid suited connectors are deceiving. People really overvalue them.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small suited connectors: Play or Fold

I think a big question when deciding to play small suited connectors is to decide what you are hoping will happen. Are you going to be scared away from betting if you flop the flush out of fear that someone will call with a higher flush draw? Would you be scared the 4th card is going to come even though you hit your dream flop? If this is the case then you probably shouldn't be playing low suited connectors to begin with. You should never play a pre-flop hand where you would be nervous to continue after hitting the hand you wanted to hit from the beginning.

Full Flush Poker