Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Do you think that watching poker streamers is a way of studying?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on who the streamer is. Some may be good players but for some reason do dumb things when streaming. Or, they make the right play that fails and they don't explain why they did what they did. In their defence, there's not a lot of time available to explain, so they'd have to be really good players and really good commentators.

If you can find one who seems to be a strong player and who you think you can learn from, then yes, absolutely!

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Obviously it depends on who is the streamer.
In general, yes, I think this is one way to develop new skills and gain knowledge. But watching such videos requires full concentration, further analysis, and application of the acquired knowledge in their own practice.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not every stream is useful
there is always a need for a logical explanation for each action, but they do not always have time for this
Stream is not a manual, but a demonstration of the game

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a book and an article are read, and other study is preferred.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can learn for streamers absolutely, but like everyone said make sure its a good streamer. I would also say to validate anything they say before you take it as a bonafide fact. Just because someone is streamer poker doesn't mean they are an expert at it.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It completely depends on the streamer your watching and the stakes they are playing at. If the stakes are similar to the stakes that you play at then and the streamer is a winning player, it could be useful.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, why not. But the thing is streamer has to be relevant to what you are playing. If you play tourneys then tourney streamers like urbanovich, etc. If you are playing cash games then watching cash game streamers would be relevant.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the most part yes, but some are far more advanced then you that it might not be good for your game. Some good streamers make moves and don't bother to discuss why that made that particular move.

mickathyus

mickathyus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe the only way to really build skill, is by playing experience I think if you can record every tournament or cash game you play and analyze it and reform your poker playing and instincts and betting.

Kenosavage_TX

Kenosavage_TX

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No way!! Read/study and play. I live stream all my online games because I’m too cheap to buy a poker replayer. I would suggest that your read/study then play. Then watch your own streams to try and learn how to play different situations differently and not repeat your mistakes. You can easily set up obs with twitch/ YouTube to record your games. Twitch even gives you a feature where you can highlight a certain part of your game down to a minute , so you can share it if you want others opinions about a particular spot.

M

Movi84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, i think u have what to learn because u see a lot of situations but i think u have to filtrate all the info and take what u consider is important.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they explain the tactics of the game,then I look...

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Personally, watching videos has helped me a lot in improving my game.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use to not watch poker on TV thinking it was boring or I knew it all. it actually helps to watch anyone play poker on TV or stream. what if one day you end up playing against that person, then you'll have a slight idea of how they play. but also how others play certain hands in certain positions.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips

If the streamer is a good poker player you can definitely improve your poker game, so yes - IMO watching poker streamers is a way of studying...

Good luck everyone at the tables BlessRNG

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Yes for me yes, but if said stremer for example is playing a tournament and in your case you play cash tables there it would not be useful, for me it is according to the mode of play of each one and there you go watching ...

Threshold2122

Threshold2122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion any time you watch/read/play is an opportunity to learn and to study the game.

Obviously it's better to watch the guys who are actually good but even the bad one's may have some tips to learn even if it's what not to do

Good luck out there