Study - time

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am starting to learn poker now. How many hours pro day you guys thing I should study to win low prizes? And what is the best way to learn poker?

Stevan

Stevan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am starting to learn poker now. How many hours pro day you guys thing I should study to win low prizes? And what is the best way to learn poker?

I recommend watching videos on YT, you can learn a lot from there. When you feel like you know enough, you can start with some freerolls to get a hand on how things work, at least this is how I learned. Maybe someone can recommend some book, but after hours and hours of watching poker, you can learn a lot. After that, you have to learn about bankroll management, and everything else will be visible on your path to learning

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Study an hour a day to start. Some good content on YouTube but watch out for the rubbish. To get a base knowledge of strategy Harrington on holdem is worth a read.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm, understood guys! Thanks very much!

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that in order to become a winner almost all of your free time without counting the time you are playing, you should study. Study in every possible way, taking paid courses, watching live tournaments, the more the better. much material, but also part of forums, chats, discuss hands, make reviews of your own tournament

S

schwarz64

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hallo

if you want to win only small prices, you need only fun to play. a few weeks to be very good with a few hours a day you should be a pro in a short time.:icon_sant

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The best study is practice, if you do not want to lose money, play freerolls, gain experience and full speed ahead.

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My training takes longer than the game itself. The format may be different - books, articles, educational videos, streams, analyzes of the base of hands and hands in forums or with friends. The main thing is to have the desire to learn and set goals!

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker needs to be learned all the time because the game is constantly changing.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to learn poker depends on you.
I personally love reading poker books but other
people will get better results from watching videos
and some will learn better by starting a weekly home
game with other beginners where you can have a live
hand discussion...

Think of something else you have learned, like a language or so...
Did you buy a book, used an audio or video course or did you just
take a trip to a country where the language is spoken?

If you have no real idea what learning type you are you should
try different ways for yourself to find the best one.

Cody5991

Cody5991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If all you do is study you will never win. I would play several hours with an hour or 2 of study here and there no matter what you do in life actually doing it will make you better than reading about doing it. It’s a fact. For example, if you study about observing other people’s behaviors at the table that is all you are doing whereas if you are playing you are not only learning the concept but you are actively practicing and using the concept. Believe me play a lot more than you study but definitely find a decent amount of time to study too.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Cody5991 playing will help drive home your studying and help focus you on specific areas you are having trouble in game.

I have found that books combined with training programs have worked great. Especially the training programs that have homework and make you do the work in addition to reading/watching the material.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all boils down to poker books, poker videos, and hand history analysis.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a good resource for you it is a place call Gripsed.com and they have videos of MTT and Cash Games Evan is a good instrucutor/pro player and his stuff is real good check it out you'll like it and learn a lot from it.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Hello my good friend .... The study time will depend a lot on the available time that you have ... but at least you should dedicate an hour to the study ... and in my personal case my way of studying has been watching tutorial videos of the best players in the world ...!

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read the basics and go, it's not as hard as you might think ..to get into the prizes is not enough skills, you need luck and desire ,a fresh head.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you guys for your advices! they were really helpfull

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Firstly, you cannot win at poker by studying, you have to play poker as well. :)

Secondly, it depends how much spare time you have and how seriously you want to take poker.
If you have a full time job, a partner, kids, other hobbies and a busy social life you may only be able to put in an hour or two a week.
If you don't work and have no dependents or anything that requires a significant amount of your time, you can treat it like a full time job and spend 40/50/60 hours a week on poker.
Both options and everything in between is fine.

I would then divide my time roughly in half with studying and playing. Note; I don't consider watching a 17 hour Twitch stream as studying. Very few streamers offer much insight into their thought process, especially when they're in a hand.

YouTube has some great content, Doug Polk, Jonathan Little, Evan Jarvis to name just a few. Do some research, find some videos on basic concepts (highly recommend Evan Jarvis' triple threat videos) to start with. This talks about Position, aggression and hand selection in 3 separate videos (each about an hour long, if I recall correctly) and goes into each of these subject at length, which should give you a solid foundation to build on. Watch them, pause them, take notes on them.
There is absolutely no value in watching a Doug Polk hand analysis from some super high roller cash game where he talks about some seriously deep level thinking, if you don't know what the button is or what he means by check/shove the turn.

Good luck with your game and let us know how you get on.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know how much the pro poker players study (because I am not a pro: not yet anyway ;) ), but I know it is way more than most players will ever study. Personally, especially when starting out, I would recommend quality over quantity. Learn more new concepts and ideas; practice these new things out: experiment with what you learn and so on. When learning/studying (anything - not just poker), I try to focus on learning the content well and indirectly I end up spending a ton of time with it. I assume that it is the same way at the pro level. Everyone comments how much pros probably study, but I think many overlook how much "quality" study they put forth - this is much more important than the amount of time alone.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Bet sizing (especially 3-bet sizing) but also raise sizing over limpers (when other players have limped in ahead of us and we want to put in a raise.... we need to typically raise 3bb + 1bb for each limper).
- what not to do.... Utg limps 100.. utg+1 calls 200... folded to us in CO w JJ... raise to 200 <<< BAD Sizing! In this spot (depending upon other players tendancies AND their stacks size(s)) if ~30+bb effective I'd be considering raising it to ~425)

Different stack sizes: Adjustment of play due to position (on table) and stack depths. (also, adjustment of play based on 'effective' stack sizes.... not just our own). Learn about the different approaches we need to take based on varying stack sizes
<10bb, 10-20bb, 20-30bbs, 30-40bb, 40+bb

Hand reading
takes time, practice & lots of play
when putting in a bet think about 'WHY'.
Are we hoping to make better hands fold?....
are we tying to get worse hands to call?

Over-valuing & over playing weak hands. (ie. TPwK, TPnK)

... here's a few you can work on

Learning poker 'today' can be quite a daunting task due to the vast amount of information that is available. 10yrs. ago it seemed like there was just a huge amount of information but these days it has increased exponentially. At times this can make things quite difficult for someone wanting to learn. So great to have a system where we can set it up so that we can learn via a natural progression. What I mean to say is... sometimes a player in earlier stages of learning can be taking in TOO MUCH information and then misuse it.
I'm thinking CC's new 30-day course might be something for you to check out. (tbh I haven't looked at it at all yet but only because I currently have a bunch of stuff I'm already working with)
gl gl :fight:

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet sizing (especially 3-bet sizing) but also raise sizing over limpers (when other players have limped in ahead of us and we want to put in a raise.... we need to typically raise 3bb + 1bb for each limper).
- what not to do.... Utg limps 100.. utg+1 calls 200... folded to us in CO w JJ... raise to 200 <<< BAD Sizing! In this spot (depending upon other players tendancies AND their stacks size(s)) if ~30+bb effective I'd be considering raising it to ~425)

Different stack sizes: Adjustment of play due to position (on table) and stack depths. (also, adjustment of play based on 'effective' stack sizes.... not just our own). Learn about the different approaches we need to take based on varying stack sizes
<10bb, 10-20bb, 20-30bbs, 30-40bb, 40+bb

Hand reading
takes time, practice & lots of play
when putting in a bet think about 'WHY'.
Are we hoping to make better hands fold?....
are we tying to get worse hands to call?

Over-valuing & over playing weak hands. (ie. TPwK, TPnK)

... here's a few you can work on

Learning poker 'today' can be quite a daunting task due to the vast amount of information that is available. 10yrs. ago it seemed like there was just a huge amount of information but these days it has increased exponentially. At times this can make things quite difficult for someone wanting to learn. So great to have a system where we can set it up so that we can learn via a natural progression. What I mean to say is... sometimes a player in earlier stages of learning can be taking in TOO MUCH information and then misuse it.
I'm thinking CC's new 30-day course might be something for you to check out. (tbh I haven't looked at it at all yet but only because I currently have a bunch of stuff I'm already working with)
gl gl :fight:

Thanks for this:) It also bring in mind something Daniel Negreanu said, when I was first starting. When in doubt, dont. Go with your first instinct. I fail to do this, since I been playing 15 years, but I always think about that. There is so much information. TOO much. Betting and not believing a bet, is my most troublesome leak. Thanks again

C

cartonand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learn 8 hours per day, I want to become next poker star.