Study Techniques (Off Poker)

Copag

Copag

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What study techniques do you use to study?

I try to read and reread the subject of study and then perform problems, focusing on questions like "why?" instead of the "what?" type. I think that these issues help me to consolidate the theme in a deeper way than doing summaries, for example.

I try to study with sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1001&v=qLjMyORJxgY&feature=emb_logo

and in places with yellow light.

But, what about you? What study techniques do you use?

C

Calipe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there!

I've been studying about cognitive sciences, an area that studies about memory processing, learning and other stuff. What we know at present is that reading is not very effective to keep information in the brain. There are a number of other strategies to make it happen. Making resumes or mental maps (by hand, of course, not in computer) makes you transform the information received, because you're using your own words. Other strategy, very very efficient, is pretending to explain the subject to someone. You can explain to a friend, or just talk to yourself, it doesn't matter. You can only teach something that you mastered in your mind.

It can be applied in every aspect of life, including poker :)

Hope this helps.

~Cheers!

Copag

Copag

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there!

I've been studying about cognitive sciences, an area that studies about memory processing, learning and other stuff. What we know at present is that reading is not very effective to keep information in the brain. There are a number of other strategies to make it happen. Making resumes or mental maps (by hand, of course, not in computer) makes you transform the information received, because you're using your own words. Other strategy, very very efficient, is pretending to explain the subject to someone. You can explain to a friend, or just talk to yourself, it doesn't matter. You can only teach something that you mastered in your mind.

It can be applied in every aspect of life, including poker :)

Hope this helps.

~Cheers!
Thank you very much my friend, I am sure that these techniques will be of great value. I will put them all into practice. And I will also share these techniques with my friends and family.

Saspi

Saspi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am really passionate about improving one's own learning.

Sports psychology comes first to mind as a really good discipline for getting better at it. They recommend keeping a journal with goals, records and your own statistics. Goals should be short term as well. Rituals or doing things in the same fashion also help boost learning, but you should be wise on which ones you choose.

Why do you study with yellow light?

I like studying with earplugs and stereo headphones of white noises like this one to increase isolation from distractions:

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use to study quite effectively using a technique a professor of mine taught me. lets say i needed to learn "book A" for an exam. first thing i did was to speed read it. the point of this is not to memorize it but become familiar with its contents mostly. then stage 2 was to read it in my mind while highlighting main points. stage 3 to read it outloud while recording it. stage 4 listening to the recordings 1 to 3 times. this is more then enough. aced all my exams using this method. sometimes if i was pressured by time i would go straight to recording. then listen to it as many times as possible. this is beneficial because without a recording your eyes will get tired and they cannot cover as much. hope this helps.