Stud starting hands

U

UrsinusMaximus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys

like most people these days, I started off my poker journey with hold'em and after some experience with that and readings some basic strategy guides have some idea of what hands are playable in different situations preflop.

I was wondering what characteristics a playable hand in stud would have (assuming 8 player table)

I am assuming the following are good:
large pairs/trips
3 of the same suit (especially with the ace + with few of that suit showing in opponent's up cards)
3 connected cards, especially when high/double/tripled suited.

In my (very limited) experience, I get hands like this fairly rarely.
If someone could help me out with some pointers it would be greatly appreciated :D

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You pretty much have it down. Depending on how aggressive the game is, you may want to start adding middle pairs like 889, 667, 556, ect..

A lot depends on if it is a weak table or aggressive table. If someone bets and everyone flat calls, I would really open my range, I see a lot of this in the micros. They give you the odds to chase a small set, straight, flush, pretty much what ever you want.

If you are getting a lot of additional raises, I'd stay pretty tight.

U

UrsinusMaximus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You pretty much have it down. Depending on how aggressive the game is, you may want to start adding middle pairs like 889, 667, 556, ect..

A lot depends on if it is a weak table or aggressive table. If someone bets and everyone flat calls, I would really open my range, I see a lot of this in the micros. They give you the odds to chase a small set, straight, flush, pretty much what ever you want.

If you are getting a lot of additional raises, I'd stay pretty tight.

Thanks for the reply; I feel a bit more comfortable now knowing that I wasn't thinking 'too tight.'
I'll go back to folding most hands preflop again now.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands