Strategy for Playing Late Position

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My range in late position varies depending on the number of blinds in my chip stack. Has anyone found a late strategy that pays?

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I open any two. I normally.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've found one based on Ed Miller's The Course which has worked out well. It's not only got the range of hands to play, but the bets to make as well. Additionally, there are updates to the ranges for the cut off position and the earlier positions, as well as what to do with which cards to defend the blinds against steals and those who like to limp in. There are also options for tight or loose play, and both are notably aggressive. You can tweak this system to your liking, of course. But it seems to make sense.

https://redchippoker.com/infographic-pre-flop-ranges/

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, the best strategy is to wait for strong cards and play aggressively using the position.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to play more aggressively in late position in the game on good cards, sometimes aggression helps me in the game but sometimes not and I fly out of the tournament!

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man late position is so good, that if the pots size won't compromises your chip amount, you should considered enter with mediocre hands (like 3 and 7). And if realizes that everyone missed the flop, you can fire to steal the pot. With premium hands and late position i just try to let the pot sizes gets bigger, be agressive (but not enough to do everyone folds, you have to take bets that knows they will pay).

M

Mrx376

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All depends on luck

My range in late position varies depending on the number of blinds in my chip stack. Has anyone found a late strategy that pays?

I tried al lot of plays with good and bad cards my experience is that you gotta have a lot of luck to ,i play in many rooms (sites) and find the BB rate incredibly high so just play it safe or bluff if you can read the other players virtual rhythm.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on a lot of factors. If it folds to you, expand your opening range and your bet sizing to put pressure on the blinds. If you have a really strong hand and one of the blinds re-raises you, don't hesitate to shove all-in. He may think you are trying to steal the blinds and are widening your opening range. If you were trying to steal the blinds with a trash hand, fold to the re-raise. Don't throw away more chips than you have to.

If you are short stacked (less then 10 BBs) then you really only have one move -- wait for a monster and shove pre-flop. Don't waste chips by limping into a pot or going with a standard raise. I see too many people on ACR limp into a pot when they have only a handful of blinds and then fold to a re-raise. You just wasted 15-20 percent of your stack limping into a hand. Shove it or fold it people.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is better to keep the tournament's overall situation in mind and tighten its game as much as possible. It is important to know how to understand the changing context of each hand because it is the key to success. At the end of the tournament, if you have an average carpet, do not hesitate to wait for the time to let the carpets eliminate between them.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you!

I have tried value betting. If I try to play normal bet-size for hole cards' value, I have a tendency to run out of chips.
Look at the following distribution of cards and see how you could win betting value.
2c,4c 2c,Ac 2d,4d 2d,5h 2h,4h 2h,Qc 2s,6h 2s,Jc 3c,3s 3c,4s 3d,7c 3h,6c 3h,Jh 3s,6d 3s,Ah 3s,Jc 4c,2d 4c,Jd 4c,Qd 4d,7h 4d,8h 4d,Ac 4d,Ks 5c,9c 5h,6s 5s,2s 5s,8d 5s,Ac 5s,Ah 5s,Jc 6c,7s 6d,5s 6h,5d 6h,Qd 6s,8s 6s,Ad 7c,8h 7d,2h 7d,7c 7s,3s 8c,Qh 8c,Td 8d,Ad 8h,5s 8h,8d 8s,5c 8s,Qd 9c,Kc 9c,Th 9h,Ts 9s,2c 9s,7h 9s,Td Ac,5s Ad,3s Ad,Qh Jc,6s Jd,6d Js,3h Js,9h Kc,Kh Kc,Th Kd,2s Kd,6c Kd,7s Kh,3c Ks,Kc Qh,9h Qs,2h Tc,4h Td,9d Th,4c Th,8c Th,Qh Ts,Jd Ts,Qs

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you!

Good point. Tighten toward the end and knowing where I am as the tournament progresses is critical. I have a question, though; What is meant by knowing the change in context to you?

Dan'O
It is better to keep the tournament's overall situation in mind and tighten its game as much as possible. It is important to know how to understand the changing context of each hand because it is the key to success. At the end of the tournament, if you have an average carpet, do not hesitate to wait for the time to let the carpets eliminate between them.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you!

Thank you. Great stuff. I follow the short stack completely, Teepack. I understand, too, where you say expand your opening range. One question. When you refer to bet sizing, what multiple of the blind (if folded to in late) do you raise to?

Thanks again for your input.

Dan'O

It depends on a lot of factors. If it folds to you, expand your opening range and your bet sizing to put pressure on the blinds. If you have a really strong hand and one of the blinds re-raises you, don't hesitate to shove all-in. He may think you are trying to steal the blinds and are widening your opening range. If you were trying to steal the blinds with a trash hand, fold to the re-raise. Don't throw away more chips than you have to.
If you are short stacked (less then 10 BBs) then you really only have one move -- wait for a monster and shove pre-flop. Don't waste chips by limping into a pot or going with a standard raise. I see too many people on ACR limp into a pot when they have only a handful of blinds and then fold to a re-raise. You just wasted 15-20 percent of your stack limping into a hand. Shove it or fold it people.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you!

Thank you for your input, MRX. I find it is best to play it safe as much as possible. bluffing online can be quite a challenge, but I have found is a must to survive the late rounds.

Dan'O
I tried al lot of plays with good and bad cards my experience is that you gotta have a lot of luck to ,i play in many rooms (sites) and find the BB rate incredibly high so just play it safe or bluff if you can read the other players virtual rhythm.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not limp, or this will end up happening...

gulJId8.png

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I see you play in FRC... good to know. :cool:

Having position is important, and it allows us to be able to play a wider range of hands profitably. But this does not mean we should be playing everyhand. We should should still consider the villains stats and position if facing an open, and our relative hand strength against his range. 3-betting becomes very profitable, as you will get lots of folds from Villains who dont want to play a 3-bet pot OOP, or you will go to the flop with both initiative and position.

If the pot is unopened and we are late position, then opening a wide-range of hands using a small raise sizing (2-2.5bb). Maybe open something around 40-50% of hands here. You can do less or more, whatever is in your comfort level, but it should be considerably more then what you open from earlier positions.

Last edited:
tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good point. Tighten toward the end and knowing where I am as the tournament progresses is critical. I have a question, though; What is meant by knowing the change in context to you?

Dan'O

This term includes several factors that can influence your game including the level of your opponents. We do not act and react in the same way depending on the context that surrounds us. You have to adapt your attitude according to the type of player in front of you. Briefly, if a player is "scared", then you will usually be aggressive towards him. In contrast, if a player is aggressive, you will be more careful and limit your bluffs.

some players have repeatedly proved that poker can not be ruled only by luck but we consider that luck intervenes only in 20% in the first 2 thirds of the game and that it intervenes more than 60% at the end of the game. because it is certain that the random part of the drawing of the 5 imposed cards determines the luck factor in poker.

The technical knowledge that consists of knowing at any time and in any situation, the profitability ratio to determine the most profitable option in the long term.ou know how to put a strong hand out of position, or even let go if you do not I do not want to take a bad shot. This means that you have to be patient and very attentive to what is happening on the table even if you are not in the act. I hope to have answered your question and wish you good luck. for your next games.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're concerned about your BB's then the position you're in isn't the most important thing. If you're in late position and you have 40+ BB you can open alot looser than if you have 10-15 and you're focusing on a hand to jam with. But if you're thinking about position first then the hand ranges you can play are far wider, essentially you could play whatever you're comfortable with or go with what you find on most charts that are available.

B

bttrkks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wide range and very aggressive to steal blinds or c bet later :D

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you!

Great Information. I have gone there, made a shortcut of the page, printed out the pre-flop for study and practice. Lots of data. Love it!!!
Dan'O
:stupido:

I've found one based on Ed Miller's The Course which has worked out well. It's not only got the range of hands to play, but the bets to make as well. Additionally, there are updates to the ranges for the cut off position and the earlier positions, as well as what to do with which cards to defend the blinds against steals and those who like to limp in. There are also options for tight or loose play, and both are notably aggressive. You can tweak this system to your liking, of course. But it seems to make sense.

https://redchippoker.com/infographic-pre-flop-ranges/

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you!

Thank you, bttrkks. I have seen that some of the most successful players on the site do have that strategy. Good luck with your games!
Dan'O
Wide range and very aggressive to steal blinds or c bet later :D

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there were raises before you, you still need a strong hand, but if the players have only called bets and folds, then you can play weak hands, since the pot odds can justify your call, and few players are left behind you who can raise.